- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Luna - need advice

April 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM
It's been a long time since her initial diagnosis, but she's made it over a year instead of the bleak 3-4 months she got initially.

We're at a point now, where her bladder tumor is large enough that it is visible from the outside of each side of her abdomen. She is incontinent and is starting to show signs of lameness in her left hind leg. These signs have only gotten worse over the passed week and I am taking her in to get her vet's opinion, but at what point is enough, enough?

I know the classic signs - lethargy, not eating or drinking, lack of interest etc. But while she isn't peppy by any means, she still wants to go for (very slow) walks, and she still eats her food mostly.

I don't know what to do. I'm so torn by the idea of having her put down or letting her go at her own pace... I know it's only a choice I can make but, when she's not "let me know" yet. What if she doesn't? I can't bear the idea that I make this choice and she ultimately didn't mind her life as long as she was with us? Everyone says their dog just let them know...

I feel happier thinking of her staying at home and being comfortable here, but if it seems like her pain is unmanageable, then we could take her in?

ugh! :(

April 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Having had to struggle with this a couple of months ago, it was pretty clear. However, it may have gone on too long, he was a very stoic boy and fought hard to stay here,

Best of luck in your decision :grouphug:

April 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'm so sorry :( :grouphug:

We just went through this with Thorin in March. Everyone said the same to us, that he would let us know. He was still quite happy to go for walks and eating (hand fed), loving his treats and just being his sweet, beautiful self. He did let us know when it was time, but I think I chose to ignore some of it (it wasn't long, maybe a week?). He had a lot of lameness in his back legs and bum. Our vet had put him on a really good pain management program, so he wasn't hurting, but we did have to help him walk. We took cloth shopping bags and cut them down each side, 2 of them, placed one at the back of his tummy (groin area) and one under the chest and used the handles to help him walk up and down the stairs. This was our vets suggestion, and it worked wonderfully :)

But about a week before we made the decision, we would take him out to go potty and he would wander to the side of the house and lay in the corner, he didn't want to come back in. Then he stopped eating everything but treats. Then he couldn't stand up on his own, or walk on his own without the shopping bags and the "sparkle" went out of his eyes. I think he was just hanging in there for us. It was the hardest decision I've ever made, and it broke my heart. But I knew he was ready, I just didn't want to admit it. He wasn't enjoying life anymore. I took him in to see our vet hoping we just needed to increase his meds, but she said it was time :cry: :(

I hope you find peace in whatever decision you make :grouphug:

May 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM
It's such a hard thing to face. Her vet visit was not very happy, but we are trying an increase in pain medications to see if we can manage the pain better.

He said that her lameness could be due to her tumor spreading to her spine. :(. At this point, it is truly a day by day thing and I feel like this is probably going to be her last week with us.

May 1st, 2012, 11:36 PM
I am so sorry that you and your girl are going through this. I went through it last year with my girl. She also had cancer and was given a 6 month prognosis. The last 2 wks were filled with ups and downs. But once I saw one of the downs, I knew I could not let her face it again. She did rally, and had a good week. But I made the appointment when I saw she was heading toward another low. I just didn't want her to go when she was miserable. So on the days before the appointment, we just hung out, lay together, spoiled her. Took her to the beach and had some steak enroute to the vet. She walked in there on her own. I was soooo gutted, and still am. But I guess the one thing I kept telling myself is that it was better a day too soon than a day too late. I just didn't want her to suffer for my sake. I knew she would hang in there for us, but I wanted her to have her dignity. She was an amazing girl, as I sure is yours and I think although there wasn't a specific moment of her "letting me know" that she was ready, it was me knowing the kind of dog she was and what was best. You will do right by her whatever your decision is, if it is one made with love and compassion. I am so sorry. Spoil her, spoil her, love her and then spoil her some more.

May 2nd, 2012, 12:33 AM
.unknown., I'm so sorry :( :cry:
My heart truly goes out to you. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure is done with the utmost love for her. Cancer is such a horrible disease. :grouphug: :grouphug: