Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sugarcatmom!

chico2
April 27th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to tell you about Chico,he should be a poster-cat for canned food.:D
At nearly 15 yrs old,his teeth are perfect,no sign of gingivitis,or tartar and he has never had his teeth cleaned,only eaten canned food,except for some dry treats.
So much for dry food keeping their teeth cleaner.

sugarcatmom
April 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I just wanted to tell you about Chico,he should be a poster-cat for canned food.:D
At nearly 15 yrs old,his teeth are perfect,no sign of gingivitis,or tartar and he has never had his teeth cleaned,only eaten canned food,except for some dry treats.
So much for dry food keeping their teeth cleaner.

http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/ssig_wootwoot_100-100.gif Go Chico! http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/spartying_100-174gif.gif

:highfive: That's so great to hear!!!

hazelrunpack
April 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Way to go, Chico!! (And chico, 2! :laughing:)

sandyrivers
April 28th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Hi,

Good news indeed!

Back in the day, when I was a kid, it was common belief that wet food/canned food was harmful to cats teeth, and that dry food was the way to go. All the cats of my childhood were only ever fed dry kibbles...

It is funny to think back that when I was a teenager, I would sometimes give our cats canned food secretly in my room, and put the the bowls under my bed for them to eat it during the night, as they loved it so much, but it was said to be sooooo bad for them.

Now that times have changed and we are more informed (and I am now an adult), I feed my cats wet food every day with no guilt what so ever!

I wonder if it has to do with the ingredients and recipes of the canned food. Perhaps back in the day, some 30 odd years ago, what went in the canned food was indeed bad for the cats...

sandyrivers

chico2
April 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM
My Tabby-cat"Nalle"when I was a girl(100yrs ago:D)was always fed human food and my mom used to boil fisheads,free from the fishstore,and give him the meat.
No catfood in those days.
Later when I had my first cat here in Canada,we fed them Puss'n Boots canned,I can just imagine what was in that food:yuck:
Also a cat having his teeth cleaned was unheard of.

I think with cats,as well as humans it's a genetic thing whether your teeth are good or not and Chico is lucky.