Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bloated cat

cutiecherise
October 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM
excuse my poor typography, but my other hand is cradling a drippy little stray cat.

i caught Hide last week, and have been doing my best to tame and care for him,
however, he will need medical attention- shots, deworming, etc...- and with only 25$ left in the bank, i'm probably going to have to turn him over to the authorities.

animal control and the humane society are both overflowing with scores of homeless cats, and i was warned that Hide and his brother Silver may be euthanized if found to require more care than can be provided.

so for now i'll do what i can to ensure good health in them...

so, Hide is bloated, almost looks like he is pregnant. He seems to be putting some meat on his bones, which is good, but i don't think he's passing stool regularly enough.
constipation maybe?
any other ideas?
any CHEAP solutions?

Lucky Rescue
October 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM
No doubt he has worms. This needs to be treated by a vet.

Yes, if these cats are not healthy and particularly if they are not tame they will probably be killed, depending on shelter policy.:(

Can you call your vet and explain that you are trying to save these cats? They may be willing to help you out.

chico2
October 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
That's sad,I really hope you don't have to give them to HS....I'm sure if you explain the situation your vet will help out and please try to get the other one too,before winter gets here.

lilith_rizel
October 9th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I hope that everything goes well. Please keep us posted on what happens. Best of luck.

tyr
October 10th, 2004, 11:02 AM
You are a sweetheart for helping out these littles babes :)

There are a lot of vets that let you pay in installments. Maybe you can find one in your area who can work something out with you. Or, if you have any friends that could maybe help you out and you could pay them back as you go.

I would advise not to hand them over to the authorities if they are really full and these little guys need some extra care to get them going. They have just had a really rough start, but I am sure with a little extra TLC they will be normal, healthy babies in no time. If you can not provide them what they need and cannot find a vet or friend to help - maybe you can find a new home with someone who can through a coworker, relative, etc....

Is there a relative who can help out with the costs?

Good luck and keep me posted :)