Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Husky Help

dsmith
October 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Hi everyone! I have a 9-month-old siberian husky and man have I learned my lesson about where to buy them! I got mine out of the paper from someone who was also selling rottweiler puppies! Needless to say, this being my first time getting a dog, I got the husky home and she was very defensive with her food, she had sores and bites all over her from the rottweilers using her as a chew toy, and was very scared. Luckily, I kennel-trained her in the house and so far she has been doing really well with the potty training. We put her in the kennel at night and sometimes when I'm at work. I take her for walks throughout the day or sometimes tie her up outside to run and play (looooves that!). Anyways, we had some trouble with diarrhea and got that solved (switching to Pedigree dog food and only giving her the EXACT amount for her weight==I was overfeeding!). Now, we are having troubles with her being really aggressive around her food or food anywhere! I know it is a dominance problem and I've read Siberian Huskies for Dummies where it gives ideas too. Some of the ideas are to not let her up on furniture as that portrays dominance to the humans, sit and talk with her nicely while she eats (haven't been brave enough to do that yet!), and when we let her run around the house, she needs to be on a leash so that we can correct her at a moment's notice to show her that it's not right to snip at the kids when they have food. If anyone else has had problems with dogs being aggressive with their food and have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks so much! Next, I'm getting some leather gloves and I'm going to try and pet her while she eats! Ha!

dsmith
October 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks! I'll give those ideas a try, too! Yeah, that's why I went to Pedigree because they didn't have soy products, which Huskies are absolutely not supposed to have as that could give them irritable bowel, too. So far she is doing fine on it, though, and I'm just glad her diarrhea is finally gone! That was sooo awful and sooo frustrating! Ha!

GsdDiamond
October 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
So? Where are the pictures?? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
October 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
This dog is probably aggressive about her food because that may be the only way she got any. She sounds scared and defensive, but not "dominant". That is a term that being used way too much. Truly dominant dogs are not that common.

What you need to do is teach her that having you around her food is a GOOD thing.
I did have a dog who was food aggressive. This is one of the easier problems to correct.

Get a really fabulous treat - hot dogs, beef jerky or something else special.

Put down your dog's food and step back. When she starts eating, walk past her and without stopping, toss one of the treats in her bowl.

Taking your cues from her, and over a period of time that is working and is comfortable, get closer when you toss the treats in her bowl. Eventually, stop and drop the treat in from closer.

Continue on this way, until you can put your hand in her bowl to give her the treat. By this time, she should welcome you doing this. This method is simple and it does work!:)

As for Pedigree, that is one of the worst foods out there and can cause problems over the long term. Corn is the number one ingredient, and this is indigestible to dogs. I would give her better food than this.

dsmith
October 8th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Great idea!! I am definitely going to try that, too. Yeah, I have two little kids and I'm so scared with her being left alone around them. I do gate her in the living room when I do let her roam around so that I can keep an eye on her around the kids. She loooves to eat everything in sight so this helps to keep her contained so she's not roaming around into the bedrooms eating clothes and socks and other toys! She loves to eat everything in one gulp before I can catch her! Sorry I don't have any pictures; I don't have any digital cameras or know of anyone with digital cameras. My sister has one, but needs some new discs for it and they are expensive! Whew! When she gets a new disc I'll post her picture! She really is pretty. She hasn't lost her puppy fur yet so she is very, very wooly! She reminds me so much of a wolf! I think they are so mesmerizing, especially with their bright blue eyes!

heeler's rock!
October 8th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Congrats on the new pup! :D

If you read around the forum, there have been numerous threads on dog foods, and we all strongly disagree with any grocery store dog foods. They just aren't good for your pet.

Siberian Huskies are gorgeous dogs, but very, VERY stubborn and can definitely become dominant and agressive quickly without the proper training and socialization. My husband's family is experiencing a very stubborn, dominant and agressive malamute right now, and it's quite sad. The fact that you are affraid to be near your puppy while she is eating, is not a very good thing. The more scared you are to be near her at those times, the more she's winning over you and establishing herself as alpha. I agree with Lucky and think you should do what she suggested. Don't be affraid of her, and if she nips at you while you're near her food, give her a stern "NO!" and don't back down. She's young right now and these things are so much easier to correct now than later, trust me.

Huskies and Mals are great looking dogs, but not very good for first time dog owners. Just be firm and consistant with her, and you will have a great adult dog in the end. Be sure to get her out to socialize with other dogs, people, and kids as soon as all her shots are done, and encourage good behaviour, but correct unwanted behaviour. Where are you located?