Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oridermyl gel

phyrlis
March 24th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hi..my cat was at the vet today getting checked for what I thought was ear mites, as he was shaking his head, scratching in his ear. Turns out he has no ear mites, but the vet said he has a mild ear infection, as his ears were red and he had scratched a few raw places inside there. The vet says he will just put some drops in his ears, hang on a sec while he gets it. He comes back with a small tube of some kind of ear gel/ointment and squirts a small amount in his ear and rubs it in.

He says to use the gel once a day for 10 days. Come to find that blasted small tube (10g) cost me $16.50!! Holy Crap. The visit alone was $45. Total with tax $65. I digress. The gel is oridermyl. I have been reading the ingredients and there is permethrin in there. 10mg/gram. Is this stuff safe for him as he is manic about cleaning his ears and obviously some of the gel is being ingested. Google tells me it is toxic for cats...but mention different flea controls with that. Is it only toxic when it is given straight like in flea control? This gel is mixed with nystatin, triamcinolone acetonide and neomycin sulphate. Should I be concerned?? I wouldn't want to unwittingly poison him. Thanx

sandyrivers
March 25th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Hi,

Perhaps you could call your vet and explain your concern about your findings on the internet, and explain to him that your cat grooms himself extensively around his ears area, and that you are worried about him ingesting the medication...
He would probably be able to give you more details and to inform you further more about what he prescribed your cat.
I would not hesitate to call him and ask questions until you are satisfied with the answers!

Making a list of questions for him about your concerns before calling is a good idea, as well as writing down his answers.
Having a list will be of great help, that way your vet can answer all your questions at once, and you won't forget to ask him anything!
Any good vet will be happy to answer your questions and take the time needed to reassure you.
As you mentioned, vet services are expensive, they should also be worth it!

Your vet will surely appreciate that you are concerned about your cat, amd should have no problem answering all your questions.
I would also make sure to speak with the vet himself, and not just with the receptionist.
Many products that are used as medication can be harmfull if not used properly, there the need to follow the instructions very carefully.

I hope this helps!

sandyrivers

phyrlis
March 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I actually did phone back, but of course got the receptionist. She did put me on hold for a while, so I am assuming that she did go and talk to the vet, and didn't just give me her own answer.

The answer was that he should be just fine and not to worry.

Funny thing tho. Today his ears are just fine. Not red and not scratching them at all, not really even shaking his head. They only went red when I started mucking around in them, cleaning them out. Mind you, the red from when I cleaned them out lasted for the whole day yesterday, which is kind of weird.

I'm kind of thinking that the vet pulled a fast one with that $16.50 miniscule tube of gel.

I think maybe I just jumped the gun a bit and maybe should have waited for the weekend and if he was the same on Monday, then take him in. Probably would have saved myself $65 that I don't have.

Last time I took a cat to the vet..not this one, and different vet....he racked up a $400 bill that basically should have only cost me the walk in fee and an xray, which at the time would have only been around $50 total. Turns out the cat had a collapsed lung from cancer that showed up clearly on the xray. Vet decided to do every kind of test he could think of first, before the xray..which was the cheapest test. He gave her all kinds of blood tests, urine tests, whatever tests with his answer after each one..."I dunno, test is normal,,lets try another one"

Seems these days, the bottom line is only about the money and not about actual pet care/concern. This only my opinion, tho..from all of the costly vet visits that basically amounted to nothing, but with me being in hock for months at a time. Took me about 6 months to pay off that $400 bill. All the while the clinic was phoning me and harassing me for the money and even went so far as sending my bill to collection. Even tho, I had been slowly paying off the bill every month and at the start of this process I told them I could not pay the bill outright and would be able to make monthly payments. They agreed and said that would be fine. yah right. My mistake was not getting that in writing.

sandyrivers
March 25th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Glad to hear that your cat's ears are doing better!

Even if things seem cleared up with his ears, I would suggest you keep doing the treatment for the time the vet recommended...Perhaps his ears are better now because the meds are working! I think it would be important to keep treating him!

I know, vet bills can be expensive, and some vets exaggerate...but not all of them are like that.

Best of luck, keep us posted on your cat

sandyrivers

phyrlis
March 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Yes, I was going to keep up with the 10 days he suggested, as his ears seem to be doing better, and he is not shaking his head as much..redness is going down as well.

At the end of the 10 days I will re post and give an update. Have a great day.

sandyrivers
March 28th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Super!

In the meantime, feel free to post pics of your cat, I sure would like to see him!

sandyrivers