Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

odd bumps on my cat's back

scottydog009
March 23rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hello all. getting to a vet is problematic, so I'm hoping someone here might know. About 2-3 weeks ago my cat developed small bumps on his back from the base of the tail to just shy of midway along the spine. We just recently got through a flea problem & thought the bumps might have been related to that issue. They don't seem to be clearing up. When lightly touched, they cause our cat some discomfort. there has been no change in his diet or routine, so I'm not sure what to do. We've tried a cat friendly shampoo & also calamine lotion. Alas to no effect. Any help is appreciated.

sugarcatmom
March 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
We just recently got through a flea problem & thought the bumps might have been related to that issue.

What products were used to deal with the fleas?

there has been no change in his diet

What does he eat?

scottydog009
March 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
We used Zodiac brand shampoo. The food he eats is Whiskas dry cat food(senior weight management).

sandyrivers
March 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi,

When I rescued one of my cats, she had the same bumps on her back and at the bottom of her tail, it was fleas.

The vet prescribed the ''Revolution'' treatment, and the problem was gone in about 6 weeks.

I am not familiar with flea shampoos, as I would not dare to bath any of my cats!

I know Revolution works great for fleas and ear mite, as well as with many other parasites.
There is also another product similar to Revolution, called Advantage.
Revolution can only be prescribed by a vet after the vet examined your cat.
Advantage can also be baught at the vet, but without the vet examining your cat.
The cost of both treatments are around 20 dollars per tube.

Both are simple and easy to administer, you simply part the hair of the cat behind his neck and squeeze out the medecine, simple as that!
If your cat already has bumps from the fleas, you amy need to repeat the treatment a few months, at 30 days intervals.
Of course, it also helps to use a small comb to get rid of the lice, as well as a pair of tweezers, with which you catch the fleas on your cat, and then drown them in some rubbing alcohol.
The best place to catch the fleas on your cat is on the belly; you part the hair between the hind legs and you will see the little devils running around. If your cat is patient and co operative, you can help her out by removing as many as you can, in several sessions of course.

Hope this helps!

sandyrivers

sugarcatmom
March 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Flea shampoos can cause skin irritation (despite what it says on the packaging). I definitely wouldn't use them again - there are better ways to treat a flea problem (I tend to prefer natural, less toxic methods: http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html)

I wouldn't rule out a reaction to the food either though. Whiskas kibbles contain a lot of grains which are highly allergenic and since allergies tend to develop after repeat, long-term exposure, they may indeed be causing a problem with your guy. They certainly aren't helping! If you can switch to a good quality wet food, that would be the best thing for his overall health (and make him less susceptible to fleas): www.catinfo.org

scottydog009
March 24th, 2012, 03:10 PM
thank you all very much for the assistance. from your responses, I now have some more to go on :) He'll be a happier kitty very soon.