Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has not pooped in 3 days...

bernieclyde
March 21st, 2012, 10:49 AM
My male cat, Clyde, has not pooped in 3 days. Last week he was hacking on a hairball repeatedly every morning when he would wake up. I have started giving him Laxatone to help with the hairball. The hacking has stopped as of yesterday, but he has not had a BM in 3 days. He is eating well and otherwise seems fine. We have been watching him closely for any signs of distress. We have another cat who is now staying at my parents house so that we can keep a closer eye on Clyde. Also, we think Clyde may have been licking the other cat too much and thus causing the hairball problem.

Any advice on what I should do? Keep giving him the Laxatone? I feed him wet food and dry food with a lot of warm water in it. I never feed him dry food without a lot of water, so he has been drinking well. He throws up wet food on a regular basis, always has, so I just try to give him small amounts at a time. He has not vomited in the past 3 days.

We will obviously take him to the vet if he shows any signs of distress. I'm not sure how many days it is safe for him to go without pooping...

Jim Hall
March 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM
time for the vet now 2 days start worrying 3 days is vet time good luck

lindapalm
March 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM
When one of our cats gets like that, we have to give her Laxatone and Lactulose Syrup. Takes awhile, but works. If you wait too long to take him to the vets it will be harder on the cat to get results.

sandyrivers
March 22nd, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I would take him to the vet right away, there may be something more serious to it.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

sandyrivers

TokyoParrot
March 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
If she is eating and no poopies are coming out, then you definitely have a problem, most likely one that isn't very serious if you get it taken care of sooner rather than later. (If you let it go until the cat is seriously sick, that is where the vet bills are likely to skyrocket.)

One of mine was largely "stopped up" a while back and had to have hardened poop physically pulled out of her butt (loosened up, then extracted via the vet's finger). She wasn't completely stopped up-- some liquidy ooze was coming around the edges of the poop that had hardened-- but she would have gotten quite ill if we hadn't taken her in in time.

The vet will be able to palpitate that area to know if she is "stopped up". (You can also do it the expensive way, with a full blood test, and an elevated white blood count will hint at the same result.)

The cost at our vet was based on how much of the vet's time was taken in manually scooping the hardened poop out of her butt. One of the dogs had had the same procedure done the previous month by complete coincidence and it took no time at all (big butt hole so easy to do), and was therefore very cheap.

The cat was harder because they needed a female vet to do it (smaller diameter of her fingers-- male vet's fingers were too fat to get in there).

Had the female vet been unable to get in there (they gave me a 50/50 chance), they would have used some sort of implement, but when you do that you run the risk of poking a hole in the cat's intestine if the cat freaks out at what is essentially a stick being stuck up its butt, so you might have to pay for a very light sedative in that case, like the kind that groomers use before bathing a cat.

If she gets to a point where she isn't eating, it becomes unclear whether (1) she isn't eating and therefore no poopies are coming out, or (2) no poopies are coming out and therefore she is too sick to eat. Both are possible.

sandyrivers
March 24th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I was reading this thread again and this came to mind...

You mentioned that Clyde did not poop in 3 days, in the litter box that is.

Any chance he did his business elsewhere???

sandyrivers