Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy erection after neutering

moontamara
October 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
So Casey's still quite nutsy here -- I think he is now going stir crazy after only going outside once today (it was an utter failure -- he just hovered around the ground and tried to lie down no matter what I did). But I'm sure he'll be fine on Monday when the stitches come out.

I'm wondering what I saw today though... I woke him up to move him to his crate (he sleeps a lot, possibly because there is nothing else to take him away form his discomfort, poor dear) and he rolled over stretching and he had a raging erection :o ! He wasn't showing any other signs of sexual feelings -- what shocked me was that he seemed to have two little balls right below his, uhh, hot pepper (that's a translation of the cute word they use here in Korea for it!) What were those? Does he still have balls but in an altered state? I was totally shocked, but just like that his erection and the balls disappeared and all was normal again.

Perhaps I should have posted this on "Ask the Vet." Oops... don't want to redo it now.

Anyway, anyone know what I saw? :confused: Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Lucky Rescue
October 8th, 2004, 10:50 AM
There can be some swelling after a castration, but neutering involves the complete removal of the testicles.

And dogs still get erections after neutering.

"Hot pepper" - ROFL! :p

Cinnabear
October 8th, 2004, 01:53 PM
"Hot Pepper" :D :D Those aren't his testicles though. My dog has the same.

mastifflover
October 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Funny I like that one I refer to it as his lipstick

Cinnabear
October 8th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Eeeww "lipstick". No thanks. LOL :D

Sneaky2006
October 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Lipstick.... ughhh, yuck! Definitely NOT my color!

sujean
October 8th, 2004, 02:20 PM
2 things here:

1) our 7 year old belgian malinois sports a stiffy everytime he takes a car ride (he is neutered). not only that, but he will sport it for as long as we are in the car!! sometimes we take rides in the country for hours at a time, stopping if we find a field to play in, and his hot pepper is at full attention!

2) while i doubt your vet would do this without your permission, i have known pet owners that when neutering their dogs have had prosthetic testicles in place of where the real deal was... :rolleyes: go figure...

Sheriffmom
October 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Sheriff still gets his "hot pepper" riled up everyonce in awhile!! He's been neutered for 2 ms now.
Are you sure the vet didn't give you "neuticles" (honest to god it was an option... prosthetic testicles..)
After Sheriff was neutered we ended up having to put him on sedatives for 2 days, as he was so hyper and active he was pulling out his stiches (by activity not mouthing them) on the day of his surgery!! The surgery, nor the incision, seemed to bug or hurt him. SO for his own health we had to (not something we liked doing :( ) put him on moderate sedatives, to let the incision heal a bit!!

Delirium
October 8th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Oddly enough my foster got neutered this morning and the vet gave me a tidbit of info. Apparently, dogs that are neutered at a mature age can sometimes look like they still have testicles for a while, even though they don't. She equated it to swelling. So basically, if he looks like he's still intact, its normal and will fade. However, if his scrotum is swollen to a point larger then it was prior to fixing, take him in to the vet for a recheck.

Dee

Lucky Rescue
October 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
our 7 year old belgian malinois sports a stiffy everytime he takes a car ride

Bwhahahahaha!!! Must be the vibrations.

Sneaky2006
October 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM
My mom's dog used to do that every car ride too. I honestly think it was because he was just THAT happy to be going for a ride... which was normally to the park/creek.

glasslass
October 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM
When Den-Den first wakes up and rolls over and stretches for a tummy rub, I notice he has small bulges at the base of his "tweeter". It means he has a full bladder and needs to go outside. After his tummy rub, he'll go out the doggie door and they're gone when he returns. :D

cutiecherise
October 9th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I think*
The lump/ball at the base of his penis is the same device used by wolves when they geet 'stuck' to eachother.

It's normal for dogs to have that.
And doggy erections aren't abnormal either.
My family has a 7 year old mutt who has been very sexually active all his life although he is/has been neutered.

He just likes to play, and gets excited i guess,

which i don't really mind, but narrow-minded dog owners often think it's icky and innapropriate, even though he can't get a female dog pregnant
(or a male dog either, he has no preference)

*chuckle*
Those aren't testicles attached to the penis though, the testicles are found more at the back. and they're covered in scrotum (the skin that they're in is covered with fur)
Chances are if the dog is really young, he will never develope testicles. (Willow didn't)

chico2
October 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM
My neutered kitty-cats also get erections,kind of cute though,cause their little hot peppers are so tiny :eek: