Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thanksgiving recipies and Ideas

Iggette
October 8th, 2004, 09:38 AM
I thought maybe an official thread might help here........

A alternate way for turnip Hubby does is he cooks the turnips then adds about 5 cooked carrots mixes it all up and adds a dash of nutmeg......very nice the carrots give it a sweet taste

jackieb
October 8th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Not having celebrated thanks given before what do you have to eat?

Iggette
October 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM
We (meaning our house) usually have a ham and a Turkey, lots of veggies, biscuits for mopping up the gravy and desserts kinda like Christmas One year we had a Goose. :eek:

jackieb
October 8th, 2004, 01:56 PM
we dont celebrate it in England but we have emmigrated here 6 weeks ago and my son is in jk and of course they are talking alot about it so thought i would try and do something for my children

Sneaky2006
October 8th, 2004, 02:24 PM
We have the turkey of course... Candied sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing with gravy, veggies (broccoli bake, yum!!!), potatoes for the non stuffing eating ppl, salad with hot bacon dressing, pearl onions in a milk sauce... Pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll for desert... I think that's it, I forgot about all the yummy things till I thought about it for a while.

My MIL makes turkey noodle casserole with the left over turkey... I don't care for it, but it's a hit with everyone else.
I think it's just made with the turkey chopped up, cream of mushroom soup and noodles.

My mom always took the leftover turkey and cut it all up, put in the the leftover gravy and we'd eat it over fresh bread... I guess it's like a hot open-faced sandwich.

glasslass
October 8th, 2004, 03:46 PM
When I make my pies, I always make extra pastry and put the dough in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. After the main meal, we cut the leftover turkey from the carcass. The carcass goes into the souppot for turkey noodles the next day. The day after that, I roll out the pastry and make a pie out of the cut-up leftover meat, veges, and gravy. It's soooo good. My hubby likes leftovers the best!
But ..... yeah .... have to wait for November!

melanie
October 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM
when is thanksgiving, and can i come too, i will be really helpful and good, promise :D

glasslass
October 8th, 2004, 05:41 PM
November 25th! Mel, you'd be very welcome! :D

Iggette
October 12th, 2004, 06:45 AM
When I make my pies, I always make extra pastry and put the dough in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. After the main meal, we cut the leftover turkey from the carcass. The carcass goes into the souppot for turkey noodles the next day. The day after that, I roll out the pastry and make a pie out of the cut-up leftover meat, veges, and gravy. It's soooo good. My hubby likes leftovers the best!
But ..... yeah .... have to wait for November!

I am desperate for an easy pie shell to make as I would love to make a few pies with the leftovers and freeze them ........do you have a good pie shell recipie that freezes well?

krdahmer
October 12th, 2004, 02:13 PM
We had a great thanksgiving dinner on Saturday! The menu I had was thus:

Appetizer:
Cheeseball (the simplest recipe ever!!!~ 1pkg cream cheese, 2-4 tsp miracle whip, depending on how soft you want it, 1/3 cup each-green pepper/onion/ chopped walnuts, mix with a hand mixer and serve with vegetable crackers)
Store bought spinach dip with carrots and celery

Main:
Virginia Ham (a gift from Virginian friends) with a sweet glaze
Vegetarian Stuffing (you form it into a log and slice off pieces to serve)
Green Bean Casserole (my first attempt and mmmm now our favorite)
Sweet potato and turnip Swirl (mashed with orange peel and fresh ginger)
Regular mashed potatos
Fresh dinner rolls
Homemade hushpuppies

Dessert:
Cherry Pie
Pumpkin Cheesecake (also a first attempt and mmmmmmmgood!)

Most of the recipes I got from AllRecipes.com and all of them I got rave reviews for (well except from hubby on the stuffing cause it wasn't his mommy's :rolleyes: )!

Or if you are interested in any of them and want, send me a message and i can get them for ya! ;)

Sneaky2006
October 12th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Krd... if you like the green bean casserole, you should try my something my family calls broccoli bake... if you like broccoli! :p
My sister hates green beans so she made it up based on the campbells recipe.
You do everything the same with the soup and use cooked broccoli instead of the beans and mix in shredded cheddar cheese and some on top, under the onions. It is awesome!
We use an 8oz package and use half in it and the other half on top.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I'm sitting at work and it's 15 mins before my lunch. You're killing me! I'm definitely going to try that broccoli and I'd love the recipe for that vegetarian stuffing roll. I'll pull out my piecrust recipe and send it when I get home. It's pretty basic. One year we got a free turkey which we roasted separately (we were serving a bigger one for Thanksgiving). We made extra veges, etc. and made 43 individual pot pies for the freezer. They froze beautifully.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Ok Iggy! Here it is, right from McCall's Cook Book, which I've used for years.

Flaky Pastry for 2-Crust Pie
(actually, I double this to make 2 single pie shells as I use 9" pyrex pie pans, if you have extra, roll out and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake as cookies)

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco butter-flavored)
4 to 5 tablespoons ice water

Just mix quickly & lightly as you would any other pie shell. When I make a pot pie for the freezer, I prepare it all ready for the oven and freeze it unbaked. I don't thaw before baking. After it's frozen solid, give it an extra wrap in tin foil to prevent freezer burn. Easier to handle for the wrapping when frozen. You can also pop it out of the pan when it's frozen, but I use disposable tin pie pans when I'm putting them in the freezer. For baking, cheat - just follow the baking instructions on a similar type pie in the freezer case in the market. :D My cookbook never has the instructions for baking them frozen.

For Thanksgiving, I multiply this by 8 for 12 shells.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Krd... if you like the green bean casserole, you should try my something my family calls broccoli bake... if you like broccoli! :p

That's funny...my mom also makes broccoli casserole on almost every birthday and holiday because it is my brother and I's favorite!!! We use the cambells recipe then use only cheddar and mozza for the top, no onions. We were joking when I made the green bean one because now for holiday's we'll have to make one of each!!! :D

krdahmer
October 13th, 2004, 01:12 AM
I'm sitting at work and it's 15 mins before my lunch. You're killing me! I'm definitely going to try that broccoli and I'd love the recipe for that vegetarian stuffing roll.

Vegetarian Stuffing

INGREDIENTS:
1 (1 pound) loaf day-old bread
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup wild rice, cooked (optional)
1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup cubed apples (optional)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together the bread, cream of mushroom soup, vegetable broth, water, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Add any or all of the optional ingredients as desired. It will be sticky. Shape into a loaf and wrap in (nonstick, sprayed) foil to bake.
Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). You can slice it like a meatloaf and serve.

I also added about a half teaspoon of sage and chopped onion and green pepper.