Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BIG foster news coming soon

erykah1310
March 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm so excited and anxious,
after doing a great deal of soul searching over the past months and really getting involved in rescue again ,we have decided to open up our home to a foster.
After speaking with the rescue a LOT over the past couple months and discussing my current dogs and how I don't want to "own" another so foster failure will not be an option for me (phew) and discussing abilities and what not they have found me a foster.
A pretty Dane:cloud9:
We are working out transport now and hopefully she will be here shortly. Stay tuned:D

Dog Dancer
March 13th, 2012, 03:45 PM
A dane - that is BIG news! Congratulations Erykah and bless you for opening your heart yet again. We'll see how that "foster failure" stuff goes though :rolleyes: Of course we'll be waiting for pics...

hazelrunpack
March 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
That's wonderful news, Erykah!!! Definitely need pics!!! :D

Melinda
March 14th, 2012, 09:28 AM
oh that is wonderful news!!

Marty11
March 14th, 2012, 09:45 AM
That's soooo cool. I'm going to follow this thread. Someday I want to foster as well instead of getting my own dogs......Ha Ha :D

marko
March 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I love Danes and pix of Danes :D
Congrats Erykah!

erykah1310
March 15th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Transport has been worked out and it looks like Saturday will be the day she arrives, just awaiting conformation :)
I'm really excited to start back into rescue again, you know how sometimes something just fits better... I did the show and breeding thing and it is just too stressful for me.
Breeders in the show community have informed me of how terrible of a breeder I am since it will be 3 years since my first and only litter and after seeing how hard it is for them to wrap their heads around how i have 2 intact females and imported a stud dog and have not even gone forward with his health testing yet and not used him really disgusted me. I had all plans in place to breed this past fall and I cancelled it all last minute, I was using an outside male who would have given me some really impressive pups but when I sat back and thought of why I was doing the breeding I was not pleased with my answers at all so I didn't go through with it.

Getting back to what made me happy and facing that ultimate heart break again since I never fully recovered after we lost Puppy man is just what is needed right now.
Since I am not willing to alter my TM's yet as I still do want to get karma her CD title to be the first TM ever to have it and maybe get some tracking titles on everyone, I am not a candidate for adoption with this rescue! Perfect, just knowing right out the start gate that foster failure is not an option and remaining a foster home always is perfect for me

erykah1310
March 17th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Well, after a wonderful group of people did their legs of her transport here she is, Miss Lilly Dane.
She fits in really well here so far. She has only met Kita, Elmo and Rambo for today, I will introduce her to Karma tomorrow and possibly Marv and Tibby Monday, we'll see how Lilly handles another new dog friend tomorrow. The TM's don't overly seem to care either way that there is another dog here, its nothing new to them to see all sorts of things around here.
Here's Lilly walking on the bush trail for the first time
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lilydane058.jpg
Taking a stretch after a very long day on the road
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lilydane006.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lilydane007.jpg

Funky Dane trot
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lilydane034.jpg

pbpatti
March 17th, 2012, 11:32 PM
She is beautiful, I have such a soft place in my heart for these gentle giants. I am sure that Miss Lily will thrive in your care and will go to a special forever home, made just for her. I locve the photos you took of her washing her face in the snow....awwwwww

erykah1310
March 17th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I have always thought I wanted a Dane in the past, my life and interests in respect to what I like to do with dogs has really changed over the past year alone but I would gladly foster danes for ever, such regal looking dogs.
And Lilly has such a sweet disposition

Dog Dancer
March 18th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Erykah she looks very content! What dog wouldn't be though? What is the story behind her, I can't help but feel she looks so thin, but then I'm used to Shadow having more fur and Halo is chunky. She's going to be very happy with you for whatever time you have her.

erykah1310
March 19th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I really don't know her story, I didn't ask. I just wanted to know what her first foster home had to say about her personality and such and I really didn't want any of the "story" of why she is in rescue.
I too find her quite thin, even though I have big muscle dogs or TM's to compare her to I just feel she needs more muscle mass than anything. She does have some fat cover but nothing to write home about.
She didn't eat her breakfast this morning but she did have a bit of a rough night last night. She did eat her lunch and supper though so she seems to be settling in well.
She has perched herself on one of the couches and has not moved in hours now.
We are pretty active here and I'm sure its a bit of a shock to her, but 3 walks per day plus hours on end in the field and bush should help her out.

Dog Dancer
March 19th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Erykah you're probably right about it being more muscle tone required than anything. She's going to get that at your place it sounds like. I could use a couple weeks at your place too for that matter! :D

erykah1310
March 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Well, its day 4 now and she is settling in very well. Her separation anxiety is coming along nicely and it shouldn't be long until she is comfortable with being alone. We're still just doing very short periods of time for her to be alone but she is calming very fast.
Her appetite is good and she is back on her previous schedule for feeding and eating all that she was prior to the move to our house.
Kibble farts are definitely something I dont miss though lol.
Shes really good with the cats and could really care less about them unless they run, she shows interest in them when they run but doesn't chase them which is a relief for me. Still something I will keep an eye on though for a while longer.

Here are a few more pics of Lily
Just lounging
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lillyday4002.jpg

Her favourite stuffy
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lillyday4011.jpg

Lilly even likes cats, her forever home possibilities seem endless
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd301/z28gurl_2007/lillyday4026.jpg

Dog Dancer
March 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Great pics. How good is that that she's okay with the cats! Kibble farts, must stop feeding DH kibble!!:D

pbpatti
March 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
She looks so comfortable, at home even with your cats. I see she has found her "lounging" place on the couch. Only problem I see is that the couch is not wide enough for her...lol :crazy:

Sylvie
March 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
She is so beautiful. :lovestruck: She sure lucked out in getting you for a foster.

Looking forward to more updates.