Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

finding a reputable shelter to adopt from ...

spotts
March 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
We have put a lot of time and energy in deciding in the right time for our family to get a dog. And have talked about it and agree we want to stay away from pet stores and want to look into adopting.

However, I know there are good and bad in everything and am wondering how to go about picking a reputable rescue to buy from ?

We are in the GTA ( toronto , mississuga , oakville, burlington , hamilton )

Love4himies
March 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you for considering the adoption route :thumbs up :grouphug:

Any of the Humane Societies in the GTA would be a wonderful place to start. Have you considered going to a high kill shelter to try to save a life, rather than a no kill one where the animal is safer?

BenMax
March 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Rescues are alittle different in the sense that some let you 'foster with intent to adopt'. This ensures that you have the right dog based on your home environment etc. They also will not let you have any dog, but will suggest a dog that is best suited.

Shelters also are great places to get dogs. Even though I am in rescue, I have always adopted from shelters (except once). These dogs are so forever grateful and they absolutely know that they have been saved. What you get back from these dogs is so much more than you can imagine.

I think the most important thing about adopting an animal is that they are not there because they failed their owners...it's because their people failed them. They are very deserving of finding GOOD people who are devoted to them and will help them flourish into wonderful companions.

I would suggest, that either route you choose to take, be honest with the staff to let them know all your likes and dislikes. Let them know everything about your family life, whether you are sporty and outdoorsy or just people that like to chill out alot. This way they can match you with an animal that can climatize to the way you live. This way there are no disappointments, and more importantly NO RETURNS.

I wish you the very best of luck. I am a big believer in 'you do not get what you want, but what you need'.

Marty11
March 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
That's terrific your adopting! :thumbs up Good luck in your search.