Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello & Help

DaneMac
March 7th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hello people of Pets.CA

I'm Canadian, but have been living in Europe (Copenhagen, Denmark) since I was 5. I'm now 21 and have been offered a manager job in Ontario, Canada.

So I'm finally coming home, now I've got a dog here. American staffordshire terrier mixed bitch mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback. I love her to death and she's really taken care of me the last two years of my life. (Death and depression have followed me..)

So. I want to bring this girl with me to Canada. Now the thing is I talked to a person from Air Canada (UK) and other then being not helpful at all he said she'd way to much and I would have to go with Air Canada Cargo. So after trying to figure out what to do I called them up. Now Air Canada Cargo wants 8000 DKK ( around 1750$ CDN ) I didn't quite know what to say so I just said I'd think about it. I don't have 1750$ to send this dog with me.. and I read about someone using another company who let them bring their dog on the plane. was about 80pounds for the dog and the crate. Any one know any airplane company that could take my dog? she's about 55lbs and the crate is about 26lbs. Or does any one think I could pursuade Air :ca: into taking her? I could pay for her as being extra baggage.. I have a limit of 1000 CDN to get her there. Shouldn't it be possible?

Thanks. :dog:

marko
March 7th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi DaneMac,

There was an issue with the image but i fixed it for you.
I'll let others with more knowledge chime in here - but getting pit bull like dogs into Ontario may prove to be difficult as there is a ban on them.
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_09

This IS in the midst of changing because the law is ridiculous http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1136094--private-bill-to-end-ontario-s-pit-bull-ban-gets-all-party-support

but as far as I know....right now, the ban still stands.

So I'm not sure what official papers you have for your dog, but the breed that is marked on those papers is SERIOUSLY important.
Good luck!

Thx! Marko

BenMax
March 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
That is the least of your problems.
Do you realize that your dog is a banned breed within the province of Ontario?
I think you better look into this as well.

Love4himies
March 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
You won't be allowed to have her in Ontario :(.

marko
March 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM
there is another thread going on right now that may be of interest to you.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80429

Good luck!

DaneMac
March 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM
You won't be allowed to have her in Ontario :(.

As far as I read there is only a Pitbull (American Pitbull Terrier) ban in Ontario?

Rgeurts
March 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi DaneMac,

If you take the time to check the links that the people above have posted, you will see that's it's much less "specific". The link to the other post Marko has just above you states this:

http://www.randyhilliermpp.com/ontar...ic-legislation

http://supporthersheysbill.com/the-t...gislation-bsl/

Below are the dogs targeted by the Dog Owner’s Liability Act (DOLA);
(a) a pit bull terrier,
(b) a Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
(c) an American Staffordshire Terrier,
(d) an American Pit Bull Terrier,
(e) a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those dogs referred to in any of clauses (a) to (d); (“pit-bull”)

Please, take the time to do the research before you put that sweet girls life in jeopardy. Good luck :)

DaneMac
March 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Wikipedia was a bit vauge then.. as that law is..

Sigh.. what to do. I can't keep living in Denmark and I can't give her away to any one. I'm not putting her down. Quebec doesn't have this law. couldn't I in theory just fly to Montreal and drive her into Ontario? Might not be legal, but that law is unconstitutional..

DaneMac
March 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Hi DaneMac,

There was an issue with the image but i fixed it for you.
I'll let others with more knowledge chime in here - but getting pit bull like dogs into Ontario may prove to be difficult as there is a ban on them.
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_09

This IS in the midst of changing because the law is ridiculous http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1136094--private-bill-to-end-ontario-s-pit-bull-ban-gets-all-party-support

but as far as I know....right now, the ban still stands.

So I'm not sure what official papers you have for your dog, but the breed that is marked on those papers is SERIOUSLY important.
Good luck!

Thx! Marko

Thanks for the image.

About the law being changed. I read the article, but it sounds as if it wont be voted for? I mean my brother might be able to take care of the dog for now, but he couldn't keep her, so as I'm not into Canadian politics does it sound like it's going to change ? if so how many more votes do they have to go thru?

Love4himies
March 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
As far as I read there is only a Pitbull (American Pitbull Terrier) ban in Ontario?

And Staffordshire Terriers and any dog that resembles a pitbull.

Love4himies
March 7th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Wikipedia was a bit vauge then.. as that law is..

Sigh.. what to do. I can't keep living in Denmark and I can't give her away to any one. I'm not putting her down. Quebec doesn't have this law. couldn't I in theory just fly to Montreal and drive her into Ontario? Might not be legal, but that law is unconstitutional..

You would have to check each municipality for their specific laws. BenMax will also be a good source of info.

DaneMac
March 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
You would have to check each municipality for their specific laws. BenMax will also be a good source of info.

Well I'd be living in Brantford. Would they have different laws compared to say Toronto?

DaneMac
March 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
If I comply with the laws of the municipality there should be no problem I guess. I'll buy a muzzle and walk her with that when we're not in the yard. I take it I'm alowed to let her run around without a muzzle and a leash on in a yard with 1.90m wooden fence? can't find any info on that any where.

BenMax
March 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM
The pitbull or the 'likes' of pitbull/Amstaff must be grandfathered in Ontario in order for someone to be able to keep their dogs. That would mean the dog must be 7 years and over (someone correct me if I am wrong about the age). Also the dog must be a resident dog and not one from another province or country.

Even muzzling her will not enable you to keep her.

BUT - every municipality in Ontario governs this differently. I currently live near Ottawa (I live in Quebec but very very close to Ottawa), and the enforcement of this law is very slack in comparison to many other areas such as London Ontario which is brutal. I have seen MANY pits and young amstaffs that are in Ottawa walked on leash, no muzzle etc. However, if there is a complaint about the dog then they will enforce the law. In saying this they are not pro-active in exterminating these dogs. Unlike London Ontario that will go out of their way to rip animals away from their owners and destroy the dog within hours.

In Quebec there are municipalities that have also banned pits such as Cote St-Luc and other areas as well. This is a huge problem here in Quebec but not as much so as in Ontario.

Other provinces are such as Alberta are model provinces that have not banned breeds but they are very diligent on ensuring that dogs are well licensed.

So if you do want to come back to Canada with your girl, it would be very wise to research each province to find the friendliest welcoming dog loving area.

Love4himies
March 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Well I'd be living in Brantford. Would they have different laws compared to say Toronto?

It's still in Ontario, so the ban is still in effect. It's the rest of Canada that you have to check each municipality for a ban.

Love4himies
March 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM
If I comply with the laws of the municipality there should be no problem I guess. I'll buy a muzzle and walk her with that when we're not in the yard. I take it I'm alowed to let her run around without a muzzle and a leash on in a yard with 1.90m wooden fence? can't find any info on that any where.

You are not allowed to bring any pitbull like dogs into Ontario, no matter the age. The only grandfathered ones are the ones that were born prior to 2005 in Ontario and have never left the province of Ontario.

Sickening isn't it? :(

BenMax
March 7th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Bottom line - Ontario absolutely SUCKS when it comes to this subject. It is best to find another province to work in if you want to bring your dog.

If you do decide to take the chance in Ontario, it is a risky one to take.
I wish you the best of luck and I really do hope that you do come back to Canada but to a province that will welcome you both.

Winston
March 7th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the site....please sonsider everything you have been told about this STUPID law we have. Many many dogs have had to be removed from the province to save their lives and those that have been saved have been far and few between.

Consider this...you could go to every way possible of adhering to the stupid law but what if your dog gets out? or gets away from you? it WILL be seized and held in an animal control facility and likely euthanized....it is really disgusting and a sickening law and I am absolutely ashamed that we have such a law in Canada...:wall:

The descriptions of the type of dog you have been given is 100% accurate and as long as it looks like the breed it will be judged.

Most importantly I am so sorry that you have to consider giving up your pet to come to Ontario.

Good Luck

Melinda
March 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I've been told of pitbulls "and those that look like them" are confiscated at the airport upon landing and "removed" from your possesion, so please look into it.

BenMax
March 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I've been told of pitbulls "and those that look like them" are confiscated at the airport upon landing and "removed" from your possesion, so please look into it.

I did hear of a case Melinda.
It is pretty safe getting them out from airports but coming in is another story.

Love4himies
March 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM

No doubt, probably by an employee who believes that they are vicious and supports this law.

lovepet
March 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Welcome to Pets World DaneMac
welcome here
We hope that you will enjoy your stay here and share useful info and experience with us

also Best of luck to your job
and Nice Dog :)