Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Person Wanting Multiple Free Dogs - Why?

North View
March 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hello. I joined this site to see if anyone has some insight to a certain situation. I live in the Yukon and recently someone has posted ads in both the NWT and the Yukon seeking any and all dogs or puppies, so long as they are free, saying they could find homes for them all. I found this suspicious and replied via email, which was the only option given. They refused to provide a name, a phone number or an address for their so-called rescue. This is not the way legitimate rescues operate! They directed me to a website constructed on Feb 27, 2012, despite saying they had been in operation for 2 years. They claimed to have homed 100 dogs yet just opened the website two days ago. The website says they 'only take abused animals', but their ad asks for your 'little furrie friend'. Something is totally wrong and scary here. The poster is also almost functionally illiterate. The email I received had horrible spelling and was written in non-sensical paragraphs with no punctuation. I worry that these dogs are destined for laboratory experiments, fights, meat, fur, or who knows what. Does anyone have any experience with this? They will not even talk on the phone, said they prefer email. Any thoughts? They say they are coming north 'at the end of March' to pick up dogs.

Dog Dancer
March 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Sounds very suspiscious to me too. Have you contacted the SPCA or the police with your concerns on this? I agree with your gut feeling on this 100%.

North View
March 1st, 2012, 11:15 PM
I have not contacted the RCMP, as I have not had enthusiastic responses from them on the rare occasion in the past when I have contacted them regarding animal welfare issues. Usually I deal with things on my own. I am going to try to figure out 'private messaging' on this forum to try to contact you directly to give you more info, let you know my thoughts, and perhaps get some solid advice. I do not want to put too much information out there until I know what the rules are here. These are only my first two posts!

North View
March 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM
Okay, I just tried to figure out how to send a private msg, (including adding Dog Dancer to my 'contacts' - hope that's okay!), and I cannot figure it out. Could somebody shed some light on this for me? I am not much of a techie. Thanks.

pbpatti
March 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM
Hi North, I do not have any advice but am certainly glad that there is someone looking into this website. I really hope that there is an agency out there that will listen and assist on possibly closing these people down. So hard to say what their motives are but it does not sound good to me. Idea, perhaps the Humane society International may be of assistance? Please keep us posted on anything that you can.

TokyoParrot
March 2nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
Click on the person's name here on this page you're reading now. (Names are in bold and underlined.)

As you click on the name and hold down on the click, it will give you choices, like "view public profile". View the person's public profile and you can see how to send a message there.

You can try sending a test message to me before you send the real one if you want to experiment with it.

North View
March 2nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
With help from TParrot, I figured out the private messaging. Thanks.

Melinda
March 2nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
can you contact any animal welfare group at all??? it sure sounds like they are looking for dogs/pets for a criminal reason. I still say the police are your best bet, can you fake having a dog(s) to give away?? use a different email addy and lure them in so you'll have proof? can we see the ad or webpage?

North View
March 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I found her. She is in need of a rescue more than the dogs. Sigh. Kinda sad. Lots to think about now. There are some broken people out there. Anyway, it is not Proctor and Gamble looking for lab animals, it is not a dog fighting ring, or anything like that. It is a young person looking for ??? identity? love? attention? meaning? money? I really do not know exactly.

Well, thanks to those who tried to give direction.

Melinda
March 5th, 2012, 09:34 AM
are you going to try to help her in some way? educate her?

Dog Dancer
March 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
So North View, what was she doing with all these dogs she was trying to collect? I hope you are able to help direct her to a truly useful project. Perhaps she could volunteer at a "real rescue" or pound that needs dog walkers or groomers. Congratulations on finding her anyhow. Good luck to you both.

North View
March 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I have no idea what her big idea is/was regarding what she would do with the dogs. I think she is a disturbed individual and just wants the drama, attention, who knows what. Maybe she thinks she'll make lots of money? Maybe she really loves dogs? Fact is, she is 15 or 16 years old, (originally I thought she was 20 from something she posted, but I read a police report about her... missing child, found), and though she can put ads on kijiji and build a weebly free website, she is in no position to run a 'rescue', and I doubt she would have ever made it up here. People like her can cause a lot of trouble, no matter what their intentions. And I do wonder if perhaps there may be someone else involved as well. Someone older, with a truck and a place to keep the animals.

Melinda
March 6th, 2012, 09:33 AM
well I hope you investigate further or alert her parents, the school, social services.............