Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with weakness in hind legs

IzzySarta
March 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone, so i have been reading this thread all the way from the beginning, and i really hope i get some replies, so my name is Isabell, and my 1 year old cat Tyson is having rear leg problems, im 15 and i go to school etc, so i usually stay in my room and he comes and cuddles with me, but for the past 2 days he hasnt been following me around like usual. He isnt my only cat, i have another cat Socks, who is his brother.

Now i dont have a job, although im applying everywhere because my parents are low on cash and i need to be able to supply myself and my endeavors. I am very knowledgeable about animals, i want to be a zoologist one day, but my parents dont listen to the things i tell them, my mom feels like the cats should be able to go outside, and she still lets them out even when i protest, and in late december our cat Socks was injured, although we think it was from Tyson, they were always rowdy.

So after much complaining my parents finally took him to the vet, him and Tyson got their shots, and Socks got his leg drained, and lucky there wasnt a bigger problem, the vet recommended getting them neutered, so my parents neutered them both. The vet did a general checkup on them and said they were healthy, Socks is a good weight and Tyson is a little bigger. I told the vet that Socks has very watery eyes, and they seemed to brush me off like i didnt know anything. I also told them they vomit sometimes and have mild diarrhea. Again i got brushed off, my cats are currently eating horrible quality food (in my opinion) it is Purina cat chow, however my parents dont want to buy higher quality cat food because they cannot afford it.

Sorry for all that information, i wanted you guys to be pretty informed, so back to the problem, since the neuterings and the leg drainage they have been more calm. Tyson was always calm and frightful and shy, while Socks always got in your face. So Socks was the one who went outside more often, but he seems normal so im not worried about him. However Tyson was only really attached to me, he would cuddle and sleep through the night with me, as i mentioned above he hasnt been doing that for about two days now.

When i leave my room i always notice him laying down and sleeping, so i was wondering if everything was alright, so earlier today i went to spend some time in the living room, and i saw him get up to drink some water, and he looks hunched over when he walks, and his rear legs are wobbly, also he seems to be limping more so on one of them, but both look weak.

I called him over and he is moving very slowly, however he still seems alert and meows when i call him, he slowly sat up on my lap, but it took him a while to get comfortable. I am very worried, especially after reading this thread, i called my parents and asked if they noticed, they said they did notice and brushed off my concerns. They also told me he has been vomitting and has diarrhea. I was lucky enough to see him use the litterbox, and he didnt hunch over much and he was twitching and he pooped a little, but not much.

My parents are protesting telling me they cant afford to take him to the vet and i dont know what to do. Also he was laying down while drinking water, and right now hes laying down on the carpet, he seems distant and tired. Please i dont know what to do, and any advice would be helpful !! Thank you guys so much. :cry:

Love4himies
March 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
You certainly do sound knowledgeable about cats.

If your cat is in pain and is not getting any better, he really needs to see a vet. Is there any other people you could possibly borrow money from?

How long has it been since they have been neutered? Was Tyson outside on his own just before you noticed the weak legs? I'm wondering if he got injured somehow.

As for the crappy cat food, perhaps you can supplement them with some raw meat? Or convince your parents to buy some quality canned to mix with the Purina?

IzzySarta
March 1st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the reply ! And no the money wont be able to come from anywhere else, my parents arent home, so im going to wait till then to show them whats wrong with him. Tyson doesnt go out much, so i dont think it is because he hurt himself outside, but you never know. Both of them usually just hang out on our backyard fence, i live in Ontario so its chilly and snowing where i am, they usually hop on the barbeque to come back down, so maybe he hurt himself there. This is why i am looking for a job, i want to be able to buy them the best, ill ask my parents about the canned food, do you know any good brands? I heard royal canin is good, although i dont see many variates for cats, and true blue, or real blue? Thanks again!

Love4himies
March 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thank you for the reply ! And no the money wont be able to come from anywhere else, my parents arent home, so im going to wait till then to show them whats wrong with him. Tyson doesnt go out much, so i dont think it is because he hurt himself outside, but you never know. Both of them usually just hang out on our backyard fence, i live in Ontario so its chilly and snowing where i am, they usually hop on the barbeque to come back down, so maybe he hurt himself there. This is why i am looking for a job, i want to be able to buy them the best, ill ask my parents about the canned food, do you know any good brands? I heard royal canin is good, although i dont see many variates for cats, and true blue, or real blue? Thanks again!

The best canned food can only be bought at pet food stores. Do you have a Global or Pet Value around?

The best for your money is probably the grain free Felidae. I comes in a large soup can size and is a fairly good quality. The next best value are the Wellness Grain Free which also comes in a large soup size can.

Here are their websites.

http://www.canidae.com/cats/cat_and_kitten/dry.html

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat-wellness.aspx

Love4himies
March 1st, 2012, 05:37 PM
Maybe the mods can move your posts to your own thread if you want them too.

IzzySarta
March 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
How would i be able to do that? And thanks for the food suggestions.

IzzySarta
March 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
UPDATE: well i came downstairs and brought the laptop, so he seems to be limping slightly on his right leg, and like i said hes hunched over, also i touch his legs and he pulls them away, he walks slowly up and down stairs, he droops his tail, and just now he went to use the litter box, to defecate again, but he was in pain, he was making huffing sounds, and didnt bend low, also not much came out, im so worried.:cry:

HE JUST ATTEMPTED TO STRETCH AND COULDNT !!

Love4himies
March 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Does it look like he may be constipated? Poor little guy, I hope you can convince your parents to take him to a vet. :pray:

Love4himies
March 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
How would i be able to do that? And thanks for the food suggestions.

If you click on the red triangle with the exclamation point in it on the upper right hand side of the posting box, then a screen will pop up and you can type a message, the mods will get it and should be able to move your posts.

IzzySarta
March 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM
i called them, but they keep telling me they just dont have the money, and i looked up constipation and he has quite a lot of the symptoms it states here, http://pets1st.ca/articles/00046constipationandyourcat.asp

hazelrunpack
March 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Posts moved per request. Have you talked to the vet to see if they'd allow payment in installments? Some vets will allow that and it does sound like your cat needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

Good luck with Tyson, IzzySarta! :goodvibes:

IzzySarta
March 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
im going to call them tomorrow, thank you so much !!!

Love4himies
March 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Good luck today, I hope the vet office will look at your kitty :goodvibes: :fingerscr

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
how is your kitty doing?