Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with something strange

Sneaky2006
October 7th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Ok, it's not that strange...
I'd like to know if anyone knows how (if at all possible) to wash a feather pillow without it stinking???
My mom seems to think you shouldn't wash them at all (any pillow) but I disagree.
I think it is gross to never ever wash the pillow you sleep on every night.
I washed my feather pillow about a week ago and I still can't sleep on it.
I have hung it outside, I have put it in the dryer 3 times with a crapload of dryer sheets, still it stinks like funk. It is dry all the way through, but oh so stinky.
Anyone know about it??
I'm probably gonna have to buy another one but I'd still like to know for future reference because I think they should be washed.

krdahmer
October 8th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I have never had a washed pillow ever come out alright...so I invested in those quilted pillow covers the ones you put over and zip up before you put it in the pillow case. They are much easier to clean and unless you have a severe problem with night sweats they also protect your pillow from getting the 'funk'. I'm not sure about the feather thing though...we can't use them cause I'm allergic!

wAggie
October 8th, 2004, 12:34 AM
heck, I toss the polyester filled pillows into the wash, and if they dont turn out right, I toss them into the doggie crate :D

(they're only like, 4 bucks at zellers when on sale :p )

as for down, my mommy always uses this:

http://www.wwlp.com/news/localnews/newsgraphics/dryel.jpg

have fun. :)

Sneaky2006
October 8th, 2004, 02:04 AM
I always wash other pillows and the only problem is if they're not high quality they'll get a bit lumpy, which I don't mind... they are clean.

I miss my pillow!

I will have to buy another one, but it won't be the same. :(
And I will get a cover for it.

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the dryel, waggie.

wAggie
October 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM
yw! It seriously works... my mom even uses it for my down coats/jackets :)

Ling
October 8th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I had a down comforter that I bought that was stinky funky - from the store! (didn't notice it when I bought it - was buried in the middle) I had to wash and dry it like 4 or 5 times before it was defunkified. So maybe just try washing and drying it again.
Hint - dry your pillows with a clean shoe (or something hard like that) to bash it around the dryer and it won't be so lumpy when it comes out.

glasslass
October 8th, 2004, 02:04 PM
I've washed my down comforter and pillows in the washer. Use a couple clean tennis balls in the dryer and dry at a low heat. The tennis balls will really make it come out fluffy!

GsdDiamond
October 8th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Tennis balls? That works?? (gonna run home and wash all the comforters now)

Sneaky2006
October 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM
I heard about that with the tennis balls, I saw it on TV a few days ago actually!
I'm not too worried about the shape of things, or that they're fluffy... I just want my pillow non stinky!!!
Sorry about the whining! :p :o

glasslass
October 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM
The tennis balls bounce around inside the dryer and it's just like beating a rug. Those feathers will fluff right up.

wAggie
October 9th, 2004, 12:36 AM
hey! good idea glasslass! I hope it works :p

another thing I just remembered, my mom didnt put the down in the dryer...

raingirl
October 10th, 2004, 11:17 AM
I was just reading on google that you should put you washed down pillows in the dryer right away, and in a home dryer it can take up to 10 hours!! And they say to keep it drying, and don't take it out or they will smell.

melanie
October 10th, 2004, 06:23 PM
a pillow should be replace ideally every 6mths or the longest every year. the amount of skin, microbes, bacteria and the lot we shed naturally means they are stored in the sml fibers of your pillow, and washing wont get them all out. if your pillow does not smell, there is no need to wash, put the pillow in the hot sun all day and this naturally kills all bacteria, a good vacume will remove the skin cells. and as mentioned before, get a zip up under cover for your pillow, that way you can wash it weekly and it is always nice and fresh. i only wahs my comforter once a year at the begining of winter, i get it doen at the laundromat as it is down and to much hassle, throughout winter i just periodically put it out in the full sun for a natural clean up :D

ps i never let my hubby touch my pillow ever, and he knows his life is not worth touching it, ow men stink and skin dust all over it, no thank you very much. :D

Bugsy
October 11th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Bugsy likes feather pillows..waaaay to much. I have come home to feathers
all over the house way to many times. Polyfill for me...sorry :p

cutiecherise
October 14th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Ew, stinky eh?
Chances are, you've got mildew.
I hate mildew.
You'll need to wash it again (really well)
and then put it in the dryer for like... MINIMUM 4 hours. I would go with the above stated 8, just to be safe. If you don't have a REALLY good dryer at home, maybe a neighbor or friend will help you out.
Not too hot though, or you'll start a fire ;)
Polyester pillows are MUCH easier to wash.

Plus: How many times a week do you wash your mattress?
Chances are, not often:
Because you use sheets on your mattress, it's not in direct contact with your skin, and will stay cleaner.
SAME GOES FOR PILLOWS!
Use pillowcases.
I use two! ;) per pillow.

(put them on in opposite directions)

Always use pillowcases, and washing THOSE every week will help keep dead skin cells and dust and such from getting into your pillow.
If you drool in your sleep (i know i do)
and are worried about your feather pillow getting..well... drooled...
There are probably water resistent pillow covers available.

Using proper coverings on your pillow will reduce the amount that you'll need to wash the actual pillow.
Toodles.

Sneaky2006
October 14th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I just thought I'd make this clear... my pillow didn't stink before I washed it, :D .
I do wash my mattress cause it's a water bed and that's easy :)
And I use pillowcases, well one at a time, but two sounds good until I can get one of those covers that zip up.
Thanks for your suggestions. :)

melanie
October 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
actually i owuld think that a secound cover woud work just as well as a zip up cover, and it is cheaper as you can use all those old covers you dont put out due to age and fade, oh that is a great idea. dont waste your money, just recycle what you already have. (and you could put a zip on them or even a few buttons, but nothing would work fine id imagine)

i wont buy another zip up cover again now, i am only going to recycle my old covers. thanks for the cheap idea guys

wAggie
October 14th, 2004, 10:50 PM
hehe, I use two pillowcases as well.

and a mattress cover/pad and the fitted sheet :D