Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How Long?????

Iggette
October 7th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Now that I have your attention :p :p :p

We have to cook a turkey on saturday....just like the rest of you but I have a question that needs a little thought.

We want the turkey to be done at approx 4 pm because we need the oven for other things.

We were just wondering a few things and I thought I would ask some experts ;)

Our turkey is 37lbs :eek: yes thats right 3 7 lbs.....

We were wondering, cooking in a foil pan in the oven should we keep it covered most of the time and un-cover at the end?

Should we maybe put baconstrips on top to help keep the moisture because of such a long time in the oven?

Should we cook it stuffed or stuffing seperate ( change of cooking times)?

We normally cook a 20lb so this is a little different

Any thoughts or pros and cons would be great input in Hubby and my discussion of......THE BIRD

poohbear123
October 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM
We always cook it covered until the end then to let it brown take off the cover. We always cook ours with the stuffing in (by we I mean my mother).
You would probably want to put it on early in the morning to be done by four or maybe the night before that's what my mom does. Anyways good luck with the turkey and have a happy thanksgiving :)

Sneaky2006
October 7th, 2004, 10:42 PM
You may wrinkle your nose at this but it works great! The past few years we've been putting Mayonaise on our chickens and turkeys to keep them tender and juicy. You put a good layer of it on the whole outer part of the turkey (inside too, if you're not stuffing).
Also, it does not add any unwanted flavors, like the bacon may do.
When I first heard the idea, I said no way! But it was awesome and we didn't tell anyone about the secret, well at dinner time everyone was amazed at how juicy it was! And that's very hard to accomplish with such a big bird!
Of course cover it with foil too... we would normally take the foil off for the last 30-45min but for how long it's going to cook, you may not need to, to get it nice and brown.
Let us know what you decide to do! :)
Oh, btw, we don't stuff since all the hype about bacteria and stuff.

Iggette
October 7th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Yes that is generally the same as we do it .....however being a 37lber we think perhaps we might have to do things different.....for instance.....think of the amount of stuffing that it will take ......also how should I vary the cooking ratio in stuffed or unstuffed ex. 20 min. per lb.....at such and such degrees etc.......

We normally cook it 20 min/lb @ 325 but are afraid of the turkey drying out....especially if it cooks for almost 12 hours or more if stuffed :confused:

Iggette
October 7th, 2004, 10:48 PM
wow mayonaise let me tell hubby sounds interesting.......the stuffing is what I was worried about as well......read somewhere that if it doesn't get cooked well enough .....bacteria etc....... thx Sneaky

Sneaky2006
October 7th, 2004, 10:49 PM
According to butterball, :D

Ok, let's try this again
Net Weight (in pounds)---Unstuffed (in hours)---Stuffed (in hours)
10 to 18 ------------------3 to 3-1/2------------3-3/4 to 4-1/2
18 to 22 --------------3-1/2 to 4----------------4-1/2 to 5
22 to 24-------------------4 to 4-1/2----------------5 to 5-1/2
24 to 30---------------4-1/2 to 5----------------5-1/2 to 6-1/4

At 325 degrees.
This doesn't go up to 37lbs but you should be able to get the idea of times.
It shouldn't be anywhere close to 12 hours.

Iggette
October 7th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Thx again......lmao we got turkey wars goin on here......lol :D

Sneaky2006
October 7th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Sure no problem!
I love turkey and I love making them... I just don't get to for thanksgiving because my husband can't eat it... we always go to moms! He even gets a free turkey every year from his work!

Still don't know why it didn't let me post those columns!? :p

Stewart
October 8th, 2004, 05:06 AM
I do understand if you just have to keep the bird shape when you cook it but was wondering if you folk over there had tried having your turkey boned and rolled,We do this every year nowadays as removeing the bones from the bird stop the meat drying out afterwards and also you can choose to keep the dark and light meats seperate or also you can have other meats rolled into it such as beef or pork or whatever giving you a swiss roll sort of meat joint to slice any stuffing can also be rolled in sausagemeat etc to your own choise. As I say I was just interested if you had heard of this Idea over there by the way if its the legs you want to keep well you can as when you prepare the bird you just cut them off and roast along with the roll this method of preparation also helps give more space in the oven as the size of the bird is reduced :) Our butchers over here offer the bone and roll preperation for a small charge but we find its well worth it ;) As the meat stays moist for a greater time and you dont get the waste from meat left on the bones not so much to bin :D BON APPETITE !

debanneball
October 8th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Hey, simply put....in order for your time to be correct, and the bird not overdone, the rule of thumb is 1/2 hour per pound. Good luck :cool:

Iggette
October 8th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Stewert.....funy you should mention the roll....hubby and I were looking in a old cookbook of my mothers and we saw the idea it looked really good ....we decided we were going to try it for another occasion, we werent sure about trying the deboning.....so we are going to ask the buture next time how much it will cost to de-bone the turkey when they prepare it sounds like a great idea to me and great for leftovers just slice it like a deli meat yum yum

I think we should start a thread for Turkey leftover recipies.....as I will have alot I'm sure of it :D

chico2
October 8th, 2004, 08:37 AM
My hubby learned to debone a turkey,when he was up at a cottage with some buddies.He did it here one Christmas and put a pork-loin roast inside,it was fantastic!!!
Mind you we have never cooked a 37lb turkey...wow,that's BIG!!
In my house,I do the stuffing and veggies,hubby is in charge of the turkey...
I always cook it too long and it gets dry..but hubby does a great job!

Iggette
October 8th, 2004, 09:34 AM
In my house Hubby does the cooking (my job-making sure the glasses are full....lol) and the biscuits.....so this year I insisted on pre-cooking some things....so hubby could enjoy our company as well these rolls are sounding soooooo good. I have had a porkroll from a deli with dressing in it it was soooo yummmmy

raingirl
October 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I learned this from an english friend of mine. She does a lot of christmas baking in the fall and freezes everything. Therefore, she uses a lot of butter.

What she does is save the foil wrapping from around the butter. She lies them flat, and puts them between layers of plastic wrap. She saves them for a while, and when it comes turkey time, she plasters them over the who top of the turkey instead of covering it or using bacon. And she has great turkey.

Now I love to bake, but never use that much butter. So what I did was take foil, rub it was a layer of butter, and cover the turkey. I leave it covered except for the last half hour.

Now, the other thing I do (learned this from a professional cook) is I use a digital thermometer. I put it in the turkey in the dark meat before I start cooking. Then I put the turkey into a 200 degree oven (yes I did say 200 degress). I cook it that way until the temp of the meat is 10 degress less than what I want it at (I think for turkey it's 185 degrees??). Then I take the turkey out, turn up the temp on the oven to 500 degrees, wait for it to heat up, take the foil off the turkey, and put it back in until the last 10 degrees is reached. That way you get super moist turkey with a nice crispy skin.

I have a 7 kg turkey, and I estimate it will go in around 6 am for a mid afternoon meal.

Oh, and I cook it unstuffed (I season the inside with sage, a couple of lemon halfs squeezed inside, and some salt). I make my stuffing separate and keep it in a small crock pot on the table.

glasslass
October 8th, 2004, 07:46 PM
We do our turkey in our Weber BarBQue with the cover on. Maximum size that will fit under the lid is 23 lbs. We do it unstuffed for safety and bake the stuffing separately. The turkey is always moist and brown. It takes less time and my oven is free for the stuffing, candied yams, ham and roasted veges. This year, I bought a large, oval shaped crock pot for the ham. More room in the oven!

Iggette
October 12th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Well the Turkey turned out just lovely, tasted awesome and very juicy as I'm sure evryone has had their fill of turkey....I'm off to the turkey recipie thread in hopes of doing something with all the leftovers :D