February 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Four days ago my 13 year old dog ate a partially frozen chicken breast with bone and some pork chops without bone (3 thin ones) also uncooked. She was fine until today where she has vomited up all her food and seems weak and listing to one side. She still wags her tail and wants to eat, but when I fed her this morning she threw it up. I haven't fed her anything all day and gave her a little rice this evening. She doesn't seem to be in pain.
I've read that dogs can eat raw food and should be okay. But my concern is four days later and the listing. Any suggestions?
February 18th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Whenever I gave my golden a marrow bone, he would chip away at the bone and would throw up for days. However some would advise to go to a vet in case there was an obstruction.
February 19th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking the symptoms are unrelated to the food she ate. If the meat was raw and unspoiled, the bones shouldn't have been a problem and human grade food should be okay for her. I suppose it's possible she has a case of food poisoning, but I think that would be highly unlikely.
Your best bet is to take her to a vet, slc4. It might be something like pancreatitis, vestibular syndrome or something entirely different, but you won't know for sure until a vet can look at her. I hope it's nothing serious! Please keep us updated on how she's doing.
February 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
My first thought was pancreatitis too. Also, my boy had bacterial problems, and he was one of those dogs that couldn't tolerate raw. In theory, it should have been fine.
So, if this were my dog, I would want a full blood panel, just to check on things.
February 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I know a friend of mine's dog can't tolerate any higher fat meat as he will get pancreatitis. As Maxa Lisa suggested a full blood panel may be in order to find out what is going on.
February 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM
What do you mean by "listing to one side"? Is her head tilted in an unatural looking way?
A 13yr old who is vomitting needs to see a vet...they dehydrate so fast and can go downhill quickly. Please keep us posted.