Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why don't they have e-mail!!!

raingirl
October 7th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I just saw the most gorgeous dog on petfinder. I'm sure he's probably taken by now, because he is so cute! He's a Great Dane cross with a Weimaraner.

Unfortunately there is no e-mail for contact, and it's in New York, so it's a little far. I would borrow a car just to go see him if I could confirm he was still avauilable!! A long distance call like that would be sooo expensive on my cell phone, and all it is is a machine. They probably woudn't call me back because of the long distance as well.

Oh well. Isn't he cute? he has socks!!

Beau (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3420168&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=416593b94d3ca434-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)

Edited: I just wanted to add something. I was reading the ad and it says he must be placed by the end of the week. Does that mean he will be put down?? That would be so sad!! I don't want that to happen! I will call them tonight after work. If he's still available I will ask if we can see him this weekend, and I will ask my sister to borrow her car and drive down to NY. It's only 2.5 hour drive.

Writing4Fun
October 7th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Raingirl, he's beautiful! I tried calling all three numbers listed (don't worry, it's free ;) ) but there was no answer at any of the numbers. I saw that "must be gone by the end of the week" too (can't believe such a young puppy did that much damage to the resident dog! :eek: That might actually work in your favor, though!). I really, really, really hope you get through to them tonight and that he's still available for you. Fingers, toes and paws are all crossed here! :D

schape
October 7th, 2004, 02:33 PM
What an amazing look dog! his puppy pictures were sure cute.

Why don't you just call the owner? There were couple of phone numbers in the end of the posting. I think anyways that it's always nicer to actually talk to a person than send an email...

Good luck!

Edit: Oh, Writing4Fun had already tried the numbers. Try calling them again, maybe she'll be there later...

jackieb
October 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Hope you get through to them

Lucky Rescue
October 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM
"Must be gone by the end of the week" probably means to a shelter, if no one adopts him.

He looks like a pit bull to me.

mastifflover
October 7th, 2004, 02:43 PM
He is so cute and what a great color I wish you luck and maybe if your interested it will give him a little longer. I cant believe they would put a puppy that young down. Good luck

raingirl
October 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I showed the pic to my co-worker and it looks exactly like her Dane puppy. The paws are typical Dane paws.

I let you guys know what happens. If this doesn't work, I think I'll just get a rabbit instead...

sammiec
October 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM
He is very darling.
He looks very much like a Weimaraner. He's sooo adorable! Good luck! Please, let us know if you get ahold of them!

jackieb
October 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Found this in the petfinder classified section just in case you dont get through

778871- Dog:Great Dane
Beamsville,ON 416 804-5004 Alan shakespeare1@cogeco.ca

tyr
October 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
That pup is soooo adorable! Great Dane Blue's are my favourite (Fawn next) - he definitely looks like his mom/pop was a Blue!

So beautiful, I hope you get through and get that puppy :)

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Lucky,you ARE funny :D :D The pup is adorable...but as was said,he is much bigger now,but probably equally cute....Good Luck!!!

raingirl
October 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
the first number was busy. the second was a cell, but doesn't have voice mail. I'll try back in a while.

I'm writing a list of questions about the dog so I don't forget on the phone!

heeler's rock!
October 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Raingirl, if it's too expensive for you to call, I'll gladly call from here. I have a great long distance plan and I can call you with the details if you like. Let me know. :)

Cflat
October 7th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Pitbull LR? Pshawww...... :) I see no pit at all.

Are you absolutely sure about this? You can't send him back. Please don't get caught up in the excitement of it all. Do you know anything about either breed? I'm not trying to be negative, but you don't even have a land line. Are you sure you are prepared for the cost of a dog? Big dogs eat BIG.

Lucky Rescue
October 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM
I wasn't trying to be funny, and I've seen quite a few fad blue pit puppies.

I've never seen a Great Dane or Weim with "socks", but I guess there could be!

No one sees a resemblance? Then I'm dead wrong!! :D
http://images.ofoto.com/photos784/1/26/65/67/16/9/916676526105_0_ALB.jpg

Spurby
October 7th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I see pit in him too. I would be cautious with this, remember, these are the puppy pictures, make sure you get updated pictures, and see if someone from the rescue can assess him first before you commit.

Shelby
October 7th, 2004, 08:18 PM
He looks like Izzy when she was a puppy! He definitely has the Weim colouring, except for the white socks, but his dad/mum (whoever was the Dane), could have been had white markings?

jackieb
October 8th, 2004, 05:41 AM
definately looks like a weir beautiful dog did you get through?

chico2
October 8th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Lucky,I actually thought you were being sarcastic :D since you know most people could not tell a pittie-pup from a another breed.

raingirl
October 8th, 2004, 07:43 AM
I have called a couple more times, but no luck. No answer and no machine to leave a message. I guess in the long run it isn't that expensive to call long distance, about $2.00 per call if under 1 minute. I'm just very frugal so that's why I love e-mail. It's free!

Thanks for calling as well, writing4fun. Thanks for the offer as well heeler's rock, but don't worry about it. I'll keep trying on my cell today.

I don't have a land line because don't see the point in having both a cell and a land line when my cell cost the same as a land line and I can take it anywhere. The only downfall is the high cost of long distance, but I never call long distance anyway, so I don't worry about it (the last time I called long distance on my cell was once when I was in hawaii almost 3 years ago!!).

I have actually researched both the breeds before even seeing this dog. I actually have submitted an application to one of the great dane rescues in ontario, but they don't have any danes right now. The characteristics of each dog actually compliment each other greatly when I put the two together (assuming he is what they say he is...they again, he was a stray right?). I definately won't jump into anything. I have my list of questions (is he housetrained? is he neutered? has he had his shots? any health problems? who is the vet he sees?). Because the dog is in the US I was hoping I might be speak to the vet as well before making a decision, just in case the owner is forgetting something. PLus, I want updated pictures.

Oh, and I need to know what they are charging for him!! I find the dogs in the USA are so much more expensive.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

jackieb
October 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
"BHRR'S Suzy 'Q'"
Dog
Great Dane,Weimaraner Mix its a 5/7 year old there are a few great danes on petfinder in ontario.

I have been looking for a mastiff and thought id have a look at what other breeds there were

raingirl
October 8th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I e-mailed about that one over a week ago and no response.

jackieb
October 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Its annoying i know ive contacted a few resucues and got no response its hard i good luck

raingirl
October 8th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Yeah. I'm e-mailing about a couple dogs a day at least. I get maybe 1 or 2 responses in total during the week.

I call sometimes about dogs in local areas, but often leave a message and no one calls me back.

Fate will intervene at some point right?

mastifflover
October 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM
I know it can be frustrating but remember a lot of rescues are run by volunteers and underpaid and overworked staff. Most of them really do try to get back to you as quick as they can. I have been through it and I know when you see the dog that you think is right you want to know about it right away. Be patient the perfect dog is out there for you. I have to agree this one is a beautiful pup. Good luck

raingirl
October 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Jackieb, I just got a response on "Suzy Q". They are only going to adopt her out to a country home where she can be outside a lot. so oh well...cute dog though. She was a very nice woman though who e-mailed me back! (I'm starting to keep a mental list of the nice and not so nice people I have delt with so far).

tyr
October 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Raingirl -

You had created a post on 29 September at 1:57 titles "Another Rescue Question". I sent you a link and a description of a Great Dane named Marmaduke...did you ever look into him or pass? Just out of sheer curiosity. I fell in love with him as soon as I saw his picture and I just wanted to see if yu tried to make contact about him and what they said(?). If not, I can keep my eyes open for more Dane's.

I had another question.... Are you looking for a puppy or a dog? You said that you would be working for a regular amount of hours, which meant leaving the dog alone in the apartment for that length of time. A puppy would be a lot more work and mess than an already trained older Dane who will probably just be a big couch potatoe :D

Keep me posted on how things are going :)

Cheers!

tyr
October 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I am sorry to hear that Suzy Q is gone :( You will find your perfect match.

raingirl
October 8th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Tyr-I had enquired abour marmaduke, but got no response. I see that he's already been adopted (that's probably why). I filled out applications with the couple of great dane rescues already.

We are looking for a dog that is a little older, already house trained. We don't mind doing training after that as we intend to go to obedience training at the rec centre right in the park beside our building. I figured 6 months old wouldn't be that bad, but it's definately younger than I was looking for. I was really looking for a 2-3 year old. I have a few weeks of vacation left for this year that I have to use (but don't really want to yet) that I'm saving in case something "falls in our lap" and I need to take time off.

I was thinking that when I get a dog I would ask my manager if I could take 1/2 day vacations for 2 weeks instead of one who week off to get the dog used to it...that is eventually when I get one.

tyr
October 8th, 2004, 04:59 PM
You have thought for a really long time on this. I just checked on Marmaduke and it looks like the big beauty is gone - I feel sad (even though I could not give him a home). Though I am really happy for him as well. Funny, how you can fall in love with a photograph :o

You sound sooo dedicated and I hope you get what you are looking for. I will definitely keep my eyes open and PM you if I see anything.

Good luck and cheers!

Cflat
October 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM
I've found that adoption fees in the U.S. are actually much less than here.

raingirl
October 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
really? When looking at rescue sites in the USA I see that they charge around $600 to $700 US...maybe I was looking at the wrong places.

I finally got to a machine on one of the phone numbers and left a message. I gave them my phone number, as well as spelled out my e-mail so if they had email they could send me a message.

I haven't heard anything yet though.

raingirl
October 12th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Still didn't hear anything. I will try again today maybe because the posting is still up.