Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update on the furballs

jassy3399
February 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
This seemed like a good time to drop by and give a quick update on the kids. Boo turned 5 months on the fifth, and tomorrow...she gets her spay! I am equal parts relieved/anxious. Relieved that we didn't have to go through a heat, anxious because, well, that's my baby they'll be operating on. Can't really help it.

At our last appointment three weeks ago, Boo was five pounds. Gizmo, on the other hand, has gotten up to 13 pounds 15 oz. when he should be just over 12 pounds. My pudgy little man was eating the kitten food. it's a good thing he loves chasing both Boo and his sticks, otherwise he'd be even chunkier! our vet had us transition boo onto adult food though, so hopefully his extra weight will come off quickly.

The definitely have their own personalities, too. Gizmo is the quiet one. He's still really laid back, and Boo has her way. Most of the time. he's started asserting himself a bit over the food dishes when she's trying to hog, and he'll definitely tell her to get lost when we're playing fetch and she tries to steal the stick or get him to wrestle with her.

She is anything but quiet! She has commentary on everything, whether i'm trying to sneak a few more minutes in bed (such nerve! can't I see that she's hungry?) or telling me off if I shower off schedule, or even just walking around making sure things are as they should be in the house. She's more adventurous than Gizmo, too. Where he cuddles against me and won't have more than his head out of the carrier at the vets, she hopped right out and inspected the place. it's also turned into a dance at the front door, since she's eager to explore. she's the first there (aside from Remington) to greet visitors, while Gizmo waits until everyone has calmed down to poke his head out and see if it's someone safe to inspect. He generally doesn't consider the kids safe. at least, not until they're sleeping. :laughing:

I'll post recent pictures in the photo section. See you after the surgery!

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Great to read an update on your crew :) :goodvibes: for Boo's spay, hard to believe it's been that long! :cloud9:

Koteburo
February 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Best luck with the surgery :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I'll be thinking of Boo today! Sending :goodvibes: for a smooth surgery and a quick recovery!

jassy3399
February 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
thanks for the good wishes, guys. I just got off the phone with the vet and while Boo is still groggy, she's doing just fine. She actually got to have a two-fer today; apparently her adult canine came in but her baby teeth didn't fall out so she got a bit of dentistry to go along with things.

Poor Gizmo, though. I walked in the door with the empty carrier and he was instantly confused and forlorn. He's been walking around here periodically like he's lost something. I hope he can contain himself when I bring her home -- she's supposed to rest, not wrestle!

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
How sweet that her brother misses her! Glad to hear she came through it well--did she come home today or does Gizmo have to wait till tomorrow for her return?

jassy3399
February 14th, 2012, 10:50 PM
she came home today. she's been a bit out of it. Tired, and randomly walking around to check things out like she'd never been here before. But I coaxed her to eat (she was laying on the couch and didn't seem to want to get down. breakfast in bed, anyone? :laughing:) and once started, she ate about 2-3 oz of wet food. she gets very annoyed when Gizmo tries to clean her backside but doesn't mind when he grooms her elsewhere, so I'm assuming that's more of a 'hey, it's sore, leave it alone' annoyance. we do have a painkiller - buprenix - that she gets twice a day for the next couple of days. We all took a nap this evening, and she's definitely closer to her normal self. she's showing signs of wanting to play, at least a little, and no longer seems groggy or confused. she hasn't had any water that I can tell, but I'm not too worried as long as she's nibbling the wet food. thanks for all the well wishes, guys.

Koteburo
February 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing she must be doing perfect by now :thumbs up

jassy3399
February 20th, 2012, 03:12 AM
she's very much back to her old self. we had some loose stool issues (addressed in another post) that cleared up within a day of that post. not sure if it was just extra time to get her system back to normal or discontinuing the painkillers, but no more potty problems. she's back to jumping all over Gizmo and sleeping all over me. I was expecting some kind of reduced activity, simply because so many people have told me that spaying causes that, which is why you have to watch their weight so much more closely. maybe I have to wait a bit more, but so far, I haven't seen a single sign of her slowing down at all. it's lovely, and having her spayed is such a relief -- I've never had to go through a heat with any pets before, and I wasn't looking forward to it now!:thumbs up