Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Shelties

sheltiemum
February 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of two lovely shelties,Darcy and Charlie (both boys). Darcy turned 7 on Feb 1st this year and Charlie is 4 today!! They are an absolute joy despite the amount of hair they have! Darcy had surgery last May to remove a cancerous growth in his mouth (rostral mandibulectomy) and is right back to his feisty self. Not sure where I should post the story about Darcy for people who are going through or considering going through the same procedure. I would be happy to answer any questions and/or offer support.

BenMax
February 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the forum.
I have a soft spot for shelties. Though I have never owned one, I do rescue them.:)
I am sorry to hear that one of your furbabes was recently operated on. I hope for success of course.
Though I cannot contribute to your situation, I did want to take the time to say hello.

Goldfields
February 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome, Sheltiemum. I'm a sheltie owner also, I have 6 which comprise of 4 boys, Matthew, Toby, Dundee and Bo, and the two girl, Silk and Gemma. They'd be a different type to yours, more English, but just as loveable I'm sure. :) I'd be very interested in anything you can tell us about Darcy's cancer, I believe a friend's sheltie had cancer in the mouth too but don't know if it'd be the same. Wouldn't Dog Health be the place to add your story?
Oh, Happy birthday to Charlie! :)

sheltiemum
February 11th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hello BenMax and Goldfields and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Not sure what I am doing yet but I am sure I will catch on! Goldfields, I will post the saga of Darcy's cancer in pet health and hope that it helps people, including your friend.

Rgeurts
February 11th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the board!! I'm sorry to hear about your boy. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. I am dealing with cancer as well. Unfortunately, mine has been battling for some time. After 2 surgeries and 2 rounds of chemo, he's getting close to the end of it :(
I hope the type your boy had has a low rate of recurrence. Pictures of your babies would be wonderful! :)

sheltiemum
February 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks! Sorry to hear about your baby, cancer is devastating. Darcy is doing incredibly well, they removed the tumour and even though he is missing most of his lower jaw he copes wonderfully. His tongue sticks out and he drools a lot so I have made him some 'drool rags' to wear to soak it up! :dog: He takes a bit longer to eat his kibble and splashes water around when he drinks but he is full of beans and runs around outside barking and playing with our other sheltie, Charlie, his brother from another mother! The decision to have the surgery was not an easy one and we were horrified to hear comments from people including other dog owners about how they thought it was a waste of money and we should have him put to sleep!! :mad: of course we took no notice and we are so glad we went ahead with it. I am going to post the full story on the Pet Health forum in the hopes that it will help others going through similar situations.

One thing we were told by the doctors at the hospital is that oral cancer is becoming more and more common in dogs and cats and it may be because of additives in their foods. We have put both our boys on a holistic food, it is more expensive than the regular stuff but we think it is worth it. I make my own dog treats which they love!76830

Goldfields
February 12th, 2012, 02:17 AM
You couldn't look into those gentle eyes and give up on him, could you? Being a sheltie no doubt he can inhale food :) now he can't pick it up the normal way, they're such hungry dogs, and it'd certainly take more than that to stop them barking. I think they did a wonderfully neat job of saving his life. Does Charlie ever want to clean his dribbles for him? My Dundee has a few birth defects and one makes him drool on one side of his mouth. Some of my others clean him up occassionally. He's not past using my sleeve as a drool rag if he's on my knee. LOL. Give your boy a big kiss and cuddle for me, and hugs for you for standing by him and not giving up. I'll look for his story. I just showed his photo's to my hubby and he said "Poor little fellow, life's tough on some animals". I reckon Darcy will get the biggest sympathy vote from genuine dog lovers, he's a tough little survivor.

hazelrunpack
February 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Darcy and Charlie are adorable, sheltiemum! :lovestruck: So sorry to hear about Darcy's difficulties, but he sure does look happy and healthy now! What a sweet face. And I love his little tongue.

Welcome to the board! :D

BenMax
February 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
They are gorgeous.:angel:
You do what you feel is right when it comes to your animals. I aswell did everything I could for my rottie boy when he had cancer and when it was really the right time to help him over the bridge, I did just that.
Cudos to you for keeping this little one going. So precious.

sheltiemum
February 24th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Thank you everyone for your lovely messages. We adore our furry babies and would do anything we can to keep them healthy and happy. Our other Charlie doesn't lick his face but he does lick up all the drool he can find on the floor :eek: I haven't got around to posting darcy's story to the health forum yet because I am VERY busy at work but I will get it done as soon as I can!

Goldfields
February 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Truth be known, sheltiemum, it's not the drool but the food that Dundee dribbles out the side that my others are after. :) Charlie doesn't surprise me, one of my girls would hover whenever I fried food in case a little spit of fat landed on the floor, and you can imagine how small that would be. LOL. Take your time with Darcy's story, life gets in the way for all of us at times I'm sure.