Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Scratching Things

mybubbles65
February 7th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I hope someone can help with this. I have a four year old DSH male neutered cat. I have had him since he was a baby. I got a new couch about a month ago and he decided he likes to attack it. He scratches it all the time. He has also started scratching the bed and a few other things. This has never been an issue with him. He has a five foot climber that he has always loved and scratched. We got a puppy about eight months ago so I don't think that's the reason he's started scratching as the scratching only started when the new couch came in. I have tried sticky tape, sprays, and a special pheromone spray but nothing is stopping him. I don't want to get him declawed but that may be the only option or my husband will chuck him out on his ear. Any thoughts on why this is happening and any suggestions how to stop it would be appreciated.

sugarcatmom
February 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I have tried sticky tape, sprays, and a special pheromone spray but nothing is stopping him.

What about covering the couch in a sheet temporarily? It might help break the pattern. Also, where is his other cat tree located? Perhaps getting another smaller one, and placing it in front of the couch (just temporarily!) to offer him a handy alternative would also work. Spray it with catnip spray to make it extra enticing, and praise him like crazy when he uses it. You can ever so slowly move it to a more appropriate location once he's using it regularly, but I wouldn't tuck it too far out of the way.

I don't want to get him declawed but that may be the only option

Declawing should never be an "option": http://www.pawproject.org/faqs/ There are ways to train cats to use more appropriate scratching surfaces, they just might take a bit of effort and patience. Scroll down this link to the section on How can I stop unwanted scratching behavior without declawing? (http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawing/declawing-handout-for-shelters/)

I wish you luck!! But please do not declaw. Your cat deserves better than that.

Love4himies
February 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Here are some options:

Soft Paws http://www.softpaws.com/
Claw clipping
two way sticky tape on said couch
put a favourite cat stand in front of area where the cat scratches
Ensure the placement of cat stands are in appropriate areas, i.e. where the cat normally sleeps and where the family normally gathers.
There are different scratching posts/stands that you can purchase that will fit into your home, including disposable cardboard ones.

Declawing is not an option, it is submitting your cat to life long pain :(.

http://www.declawing.com/

http://www.catscratching.com/

lindapalm
February 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
My cats won the battle, so I have quilted bedspreads on both my couch and chair, and whip them off quick when company shows up. Keeps the couch cleaner from the dog, and husband, too.

chico2
February 8th, 2012, 04:50 PM
One of my cats(Vinnie)likes to scratch hubbies favorite chair,it was simple,we put a throw over it and the scratching stopped.
Declawing,should NEVER be an option,it is in my view the most cruel procedure you can do to your cat,it should never be done to any cat.
Would your husband consider de-clawing the dog?? No,of course not,but it is the same with cats..
The simplest solution is,like everyone says,to cover the couch.

Digston
February 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I also allowed my cat to win this battle in our household. I have blankets over the arms of the couches. As long as the blanket is there my cat won't even attempt to scratch at the couch.

When it comes to scratching posts you may need to test out several types to find which texture your cat prefers. My cats fav is some heavy duty twine I wrapped around a support beam in our basement.

The more you know...Cats have scent glands in their feet, so not only do they scratch to maintain their claws but it's also to mark their territory.

14+kitties
February 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM
If you take a look at the height of a standard scratching post made for cats and then look at your couch you may find the attraction to your couch is simply because the arms of the couch is higher than the scratching post. Cats like to scratch, yes. But they also like to stretch full out with their bodies while doing so. They can't do that with most posts. So, the simplest solution just may be to get the tallest cat scratching post you can get. Or build one. Place it in front of your newly blanket covered couch arms and see what happens.

You could also try to keep your kitty's claws trimmed back as much as possible. That would mean even if he persisted in clawing maybe there would be a little less damage. Consistent correction is one of the biggest keys as well. You can't give him hell once and the next time allow him to do it. He sees that as permission.

Marty11
February 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I had good luck with the bitter spray on my couch. I did provide other things to scratch as well. Get a small scat mat from the dollar store, flipped it upside down so the rough side was on top. Nailed it to the floor (if you can) put a bunch of cat nip on it. It was a good distraction.

Koteburo
February 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM
How about citrus spray?
You can make it at home saving the peels of orange, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons plus orange essential oil.
My mom knows how to make it because she has problems with the cats being scratchy sometimes over there I'll ask.

sandyrivers
February 19th, 2012, 05:56 AM
What kind of material is the furniture your cat scratching on?
Maybe your cat likes that type of material more than the one on his scratch post...

Maybe the height of the couch is more convenient for your cat.

I had a wobbly scratch post, and my cats refused it... so i got my father in law to make a better one.

Perhaps until you find the solution, the idea of covering your furniture is the best one...the idea of de-clawing is not really an option.

Or maybe it is that you will live with a great cat, but with not so great furniture!

Sandyrivers