Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Russian Blue wanna be...in need of help

cpietra16
February 6th, 2012, 05:48 PM
FACT:There is a colony of cats that are being fixed and released. There have been a few babies that we decided to find good homes for. One of these beauties, a russian blue look-a-like is recovering from her surgery under my bed. I released her in my bedroom because she shows signs of being a great in door kitty. She is about 6-8 months old.
PROBLEM: I have had little Miss Macie since friday recovering. Antonio and Tess have been hanging out with her to show that it is safe to be out from under the bed. MM has yet to venture out from under the bed. I have been able to rub her neck, put my finger in her mouth, stroke her ears, etc....she lets me do it all. Problem is, I don;t think she has been eating or drinking since friday. I have never encountered this problem. Could she be depressed and missin gher colony? Is she that scared, depressed, shocked at being indoors, ...???? I have been wetting my fingers and applying it under her mouth, which she licks.
I have a vet appt. to make sure she is ok....how long can she go without drinking or eating...maybe she is drinking, but not sure...any ideas? has anyone ever had this problem?
I have been doing this for over 20 years and I have never had problems getting cats to trust me, until now:(

chico2
February 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM
cpietra,wish I could help,but one thing I know is that cats cannot stay without food for long.
Did you try really smelly,good stuff?

cpietra16
February 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM
chico...i used the smelliest food around....I will try sardines tomorrow:shrug:If this does not work I may have to put her back outside with her colony:(

Love4himies
February 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Are you putting the food under the bed so she feels secure while eating? I was wondering if she would get beat up by the other colony cats when she tried to eat when she was there and is therefore afraid to eat now?

cpietra16
February 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I thought of that too so I kicked the others out of the bedroom and she was left alone all day until I got home. She had ham, milk, wet food and water...all left untouched....I think I may have a cat who just wants to slowly pass away insteaed of stay indoors...:yell:

Love4himies
February 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I thought of that too so I kicked the others out of the bedroom and she was left alone all day until I got home. She had ham, milk, wet food and water...all left untouched....I think I may have a cat who just wants to slowly pass away insteaed of stay indoors...:yell:

What about some raw meat? I've had feral foster kittens that wouldn't touch cat food, only raw until I transitioned them.

Dog Dancer
February 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM
cpietra sorry I don't have any advice to offer. It sure sounds like she's depressed doesn't it. Poor kitty. I know that in your care she has the best chance of survival though. Bless you for helping her.

cpietra16
February 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM
good idea...although the people who fed the colony used the cheapest cat food as well as table scraps, but I will try anything at this point...thanks for the ideas L4H and Chico:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
February 6th, 2012, 11:30 PM
good idea...although the people who fed the colony used the cheapest cat food as well as table scraps, but I will try anything at this point...thanks for the ideas L4H and Chico:thumbs up

Try Temptations cat treats! That's what worked for me when I first trapped Cinnamon Girl.

Good luck!!!!! :fingerscr:goodvibes:

14+kitties
February 7th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Have you tried smearing food on her feet? She would not like the feel of it and would groom herself to get it off. Sometimes that's enough to kick start the appetite. If not, you could always send her to me. :D (joking)

cpietra16
February 7th, 2012, 07:43 AM
14+....thanks, I will get her on her way to you this weekend........................

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!:laughing::laughing:

Sugarcatmom, I've tried temptation already with no luck....but i will try to dip her dainty paws in tuna juice....not sure how she is still going....but there has been a breakthrough....when I got hom efrom work and went into the room, she had made herself cozy on the bed so she is out from underneath it...at least when I am not around; now if only she would eat!!!!!!:frustrated:

sugarcatmom
February 7th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Sugarcatmom, I've tried temptation already with no luck....

Well damn. I didn't think there was a cat alive that could resist the Temptations! :laughing:

What about plain chicken baby food (Heinz Chicken in broth)?

Maybe one of the tips at this link will help? http://www.assistfeed.com/Enticing.htm

Come on girl, you gotta eat!!! Good sign that she came out from under the bed though. :thumbs up

Love4himies
February 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Could she be a social eater????? Rose only runs and eats if one of the other cats are eating. Of course with 3 other cats eating, she eats three times as much as she should :yell:

sandyrivers
February 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM
maybe if you open a can of tuna and put it in a dish, adding about half a cup of water to it, your cat may be interested in the feast?

I would suggest the tuna that is in water, not broth or oil.
I would not suggest feeding your cat tuna all the time, but maybe just to get going.

Baby food mixed with equal part of water could also be something to try.

Some of my rescued cats really liked the veal kind, warmed up a bit, they liked it!

It can be worth a try...

sandyrivers

cpietra16
February 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM
All is good....Kitty has been eating thanks to Antonio....Macy is actually Mason....since its hard to know who you trap in a colony:shrug:...we were all convinced that Macy was a girl until the vet called and cleared it all up....Macy is really Mason...still cute a button and up for adoption to a good home....:thumbs up