Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie that may be in need.....

heeler's rock!
October 6th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Don't read this if you're busy, because it's a long one!

Well, my hubby's family has an Alaskan Malamute, male, about 126lbs. When they decided to get him 4 years ago, I remember pleading with them not to as their only reason for getting him was for my brother-in-law who was 12 at the time. He wanted a mal because of how they looked and their size, and didn't care that mal's are not good first time dog owner dogs. I begged them to consider rescuing a mut as they would be easier to handle, or if they insisted in a mal, the Alaskan Malamute Help Legue is full of unwanted, purebred mals, but they wanted a pup.

Anyways, they decided to get him one anyways. When Cusco (the mal) came home, he was terrified for weeks of people. He stayed in a corner of the yard and wouldn't come near us. He would growl and bite if you tried to touch him. He was 12 weeks old and we decided he was probably just scared. Cusco never had any real training and Andrew (brother-in-law) spent about a year of solid time with the dog. After that, Cusco got too big for Andrew to handle and Cusco became my hubby's responsibility. Carlos and I spent months training Cusco, taking him to the vet, feeding him, and loving him. He bacame a decent dog. He is a very alpha male, and has a strong prey drive, as most mal's do. He killed our first bunny by grabbing it and shaking it to death.

Since hubby and I got married, Cusco has been at the in-law's house. He was here for a bit, but he got really moody because he likes his space and the puppies wouldn't leave him alone. Now, Andrew spends zero time with Cusco and he has again become a real jerk because no one is training him. He sits in the house all day or outside because Andrew is too busy with his friends to love his dog. Andrew now blames us, because we originally said we'd take Cusco with us. We didn't because Cusco didn't have any space in our little house.

Now, my father-in-law is thinking about putting Cusco down, because no one has time for him and he is very hard to rehome due to his agressiveness and prey drive. I am thinking about taking him in and trying to rehome him myself, but we have 2 cats that I know Cusco will kill. The in-laws haven't made any decisions yet, but we are talking to them about it this Monday when we go over for Thanksgiving. What should we do? Should we take him in, re-train him so he is managable and better socialized again? That would mean rehoming my cats. I'm just really sad and I saw this coming 4 years ago. I hate it when people don't think of the animal before they get it. Now this dog is suffering because he's overweight and starved for affection......Now we might suffer because we'll have to get rid of the cats. I'm just so confused and scared for Cusco, our cats, and us! Please help......

krdahmer
October 7th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Oh ....geez...yikes. First, stay calm, I don't think this is as dire as you think...there are always options- ones that don't involve you having to give up your beloved pets! I am hoping that LR will pipe up soon with a possible solution or someone who might aid in rehoming this animal.

Most importantly DO NOT let the in-laws put this poor pup down just due to a lack of 'time'.( :mad: those kinds of statements really peeve me) I just know that someone out there would love to give this love starved pup another chance.

Do you have pics? Can you post him at petfinder? Has he ever had obedience training? Is that an option? Have you started a thread in the adoption forum?

Just take it one step at a time....and know that we are here to support you and buck you up when it all looks bleak (as your post made it sound)!! I have to believe that it really is never too late to teach an old dog new tricks so to say....

So here's a {{{HUG}}}, and don't you worry....we'll figure this all out together....you, your family and your friends here at Pets.ca!!!! :)

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Yes Heelers,what a dilemma :( But please,please do not rehome your kitties :(
That kid Andrew,deserves a few slaps for being irresponsible(I know,childabuse :mad: )..
I do however feel for the poor missunderstood Malamute and like Dahmer says,with all the venues in this Forum a solution will be found,I am sure.

moontamara
October 7th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I agree with what's been posted and also want to add that I hope you can manage to handle this without causing bad feelings with your in-laws!!! Some people are really really stupid with animals, but they're still good people... and we have to remember that, especially when they're family!!!

I deal with the guilt that my husband's uncle has a dog that is tied up ALL THE TIME and is very afraid of humans, and I haven't helped it at all. With the cultural difference and so many issues, there is nothing I can do for that poor poor creature... but I won't start a war over it, especially since it would accomplish nothing but create bad feelings.

Hope this works out in the end.

BTW, how's your ankle/foot?

heeler's rock!
October 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone. It's nice to know that I can find help and support here! :o

I totally agree chico. Andrew needs some SERIOUS discipline. He got Cusco for the wrong reasons. Carlos's parents need to rehome Cusco because Andrew doesn't deserve him. He's been given too many chances with that dog. I hate being right about these things, but now the dog suffers the aftermath of their neglegence. Cusco is a good dog, for the right people.

My hubby and I did a lot of work with Cusco in terms of training. He was progressing really well, but after we left him there, no one was able to continue his training so he's kindof deteriorated. We're willing to work with him again to get him up there with the new owners. Cusco has become a real jerk. If you don't establish Alpha with him, he'll push you around.

Cusco has bit Carlos and Andrew. When he bit Carlos, he tore off his thumb nail! That was Carlos's fault because he was disciplining him too much. He growls at my mother-in-law and he gets cranky if you pet him while he's sleeping. You can't take food or toys away from him without him baring his teeth, but he does know the drop it command. He's gotten into numerous dog fights, but that's because he wasn't socialized properly at a young age. He is also very aware of his size, so he knows how to push dogs and people around.

I can't post any ads for him yet, as I don't want to go behind my in-law's backs. We're discussing this with all of them this Monday when we go over for Thanksgiving, so we'll see what they say. I'll bet you anything that they'll say they wanna keep him, but I know that is not what's best for Cusco. They've already proven that. Here is a pic for you all to see of Cusco.

Moon, my ankle is doing better. Some days it's really good, other days it still swells up like a balloon! I haven't been to the Dr's yet so it's my own fault if it's hurting so much! Thanks for asking and for remembering!!! :)

GsdDiamond
October 7th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Oh wow! He's gorgeous!!

Hopefully Andrew will allow him to be rehoused. It's better for the dog, and the people being growled at, if he goes somewhere that has more time for him.

Copper'sMom
October 7th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Poor Cusco! Reminds me of my fiance's dog husky/akita mix. He took him from an uncle who never paid any attention to him. It took my fiance a few years to train him and teach him who is alpha male. They had their share of hardships! Today Sargent is a big suck!! He stay's outside year round(except blizzards). He was alot of work, but definitely worth it! I wish we could take Cusco in(and every other poor soul) :( , but 2 is enough for right now plus cats, birds and fish. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

Writing4Fun
October 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I feel the need to say something (maybe because my son's name is Andrew and I don't like seeing that name used in an attack ;) ). Everyone is on the kid's case about the dog. Yes, he needs to learn some responsibility. Ultimately, though, I feel the parents are the ones at fault here. Getting a dog because a 12 year old asked for it is NEVER a good reason to get a dog. They're boys, and testosterone will inevitably draw their attention away from the dog and towards girls and cars. In an episode of Animal Cops, a 16 year old had neglected to feed his dog. The mother was the one hauled off to jail, though, because as the adult and legal guardian of the 16 year old, she was responsible for everyone and everything in her care, including that dog.

Having said that, I also want to say "ditto" to everything Tamara said. Good luck and keep us posted!

tyr
October 7th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Cusco is gorgeous!!!! I think it will be no time before he finds a new home. He does have behavioural problems but he looks so healthy and happy - that is going to get someones attention. Beautiful, happy, healthy....great combinations. Someone out there has the time to spend with this dog and is willing to take the time to train him, just hang in there! I cannot believe anyone could look at his face (no matter how much work he needs) and think "We may have to put him down".

I think you are the sweetest person ever for taking your extra time and putting it into the betterment of this dog! A lot of people would be like, "I warned you and now he is YOUR problem". Instead you are willing to take as much time as it needs to rehome him. :D :)

Keep us posted!

heeler's rock!
October 7th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks again everyone! You are all so awesome! :)

Writing4fun, you are absolutely right. I don't blame Andrew for this mess, I totally blame his parents. They just don't have the energy to keep up with Andrew and to discipline him. I know they've tried, but they can't stick to it. Andrew has pretty grown up on his own as his parents have just been too tired. There is a HUGE age gap too. Carlos is 25, his sister Priscilla is 23, Andrew is 15, and Jason (the youngest) is only 10!! That's a big difference and his parents have a lot going on.

Unfortunately, the human race learns from it's mistakes. Cusco was a big mistake and I can't stand the thought of him leaving them, but I also can't stand the thought of him being neglected. He is soooooo happy to see Carlos when we go over. It's like his eyes just light up and he goes nuts! Carlos was his best friend and I feel HORRIBLE for not bringing Cusco with us.....

Hopefully dinner will go well on Monday, and they'll say they wanna keep him and put more effort into him. He is a beautiful boy and I know with some work, he'll be a great dog.

Tyr, thanks for the support! I wasn't always Cusco's biggest fan. There was a point before all this that I got frustrated and said that he was their problem, not ours and that I didn't want to be "saddled" down with their mistake. I feel bad about that now when I look back on it.

Cusco deserves a chance to be somewhere that will spend the time it takes with him. I know Carlos's family loves him, and I doubt they will seriously put him down, and even if they tried, there is no way in hell that I would let them. They know that they are not the best place for Cusco and they'll probably let me rehome him rather than doing something so stupid. Carlos doesn't think his dad was serious about killing him, and I don't know him that well yet so I can't say for sure.

I will keep you all posted and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all of your help, support, and most of all, friendship! :o