Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat in Colorado

lisaosnow
January 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hi there,
I'm Lisa. I have a (nearly) 3 year old domestic short hair boy cat named O'Malley.
He's like my baby and I love him dearly!
I'm here mainly to post about his excessive meowing.
Anyways, hi.
:crazy:

chico2
January 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Lisa,I am assuming there is nothing medically wrong with him,as if he's meowing while in the litterbox..could be a sign of UTI?
Otherwise,some cats are chattier than others,I have one who is too.
Maybe your sweet little guy is lonely,maybe he needs a kitty-friend???

lisaosnow
January 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
He's a healthy, spoiled cat. I think he is maybe just chatty, because I can tell his tone of meow, if he's bored, just wanting attention, or otherwise.
But he cries at the front door relentlessly. He wants to get out in the hallway (interior apartment building) and just lay there in the middle of the floor out in the hallway. And I won't let him out alone, in case someone were to let him outside or whatnot, so I have to sit there and watch him - and I don't have the time to sit in the damn hallway all day.
I let him out there once a day - when I get home from work, and that's it. I'm trying to get him used to staying away from the front door otherwise, because he's scratching a hole in the carpet. He has big windows to look out of, and I open the windows for fresh air. He has toys, towers, treats, everything he could want.
I would love to get him a kitty friend, but I don't think that's a good idea for me - small apartment, they would be cooped up, and of course, double the expenses.
I just don't know what else to do. I've gotten Feliway, no-scratchy spray, I distract him with toys, lasers, treats, etc. But he still just cries at the door often.

chico2
January 27th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Lisa,could you possibly buy him a harness and leash and take him outside a bit???
It would have to be a harness,something he cannot wiggle out of.

lisaosnow
January 28th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Lisa,could you possibly buy him a harness and leash and take him outside a bit???
It would have to be a harness,something he cannot wiggle out of.

I have one, but I haven't been able to train him so that he's comfortable on it. He either refuses to move or crawls uncomfortably into a corner.

marko
January 28th, 2012, 07:54 AM
welcome lisaosnow! Your cat is such a beauty!

Love4himies
January 28th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I have one, but I haven't been able to train him so that he's comfortable on it. He either refuses to move or crawls uncomfortably into a corner.

That's OK. He needs to get used to the feeling of it on. Then once he does, then put the leash on him and get him to practice inside the house with the leash. You can entice him to move by throwing treats in the direction you want him to go, or use a feather stick. Patience is key here.