Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dirty bum problem

Koteburo
January 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hi !

As some of you may know I'm dealing with an overweight problem with my baby bonkers Mulder and I already started a thread about that and I got some good advice. Now... Along with obesity I'm facing a new problem: At the moment my baby is so round that she can't reach her butt to clean anymore so now she often has sticky, dirty fur in that area and some days it gets REALLY bad all poopy :yuck: we clean her but I think she probably needs a bath but she HATES water (I don't give baths unless there's a situation out of the ordinary that requires it) so...
Do you have any ideas what can I do to prevent this from happening while she loses weight? Suggestions more than welcome
I'll include pics of my little and very much loved beached whale
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/s720x720/155425_10150606796845140_719160139_11301368_155965 8231_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409299_10150606798215140_719160139_11301374_147498 0937_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395419_10150606799230140_719160139_11301376_190121 1642_n.jpg
Thanks!

pbpatti
January 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Have you thought about shaving her behind? At least then the poop would not stick to her fur. Or, there are wipes that you can buy to wipe her booty clean for her. Good luck with the weight loss program. She will feel so much better at a lighter weight. patti

Koteburo
January 24th, 2012, 06:33 PM
That is a GREAT idea!
I've been using the wipes by the way but sometimes fur comes off and it hurts her.
I will definitely look into the shaving while she loses weight and keep wiping
Thank you so much pbpatti :thumbs up

pbpatti
January 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
You are very welcome! :goodvibes:

Goldfields
January 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Didn't think of shaving but if Shelties have this problem we do cut what is called a poop track, to keep their bottoms clean. Oh dear, now I'm picturing Bonkers in a lion cut. LOL.

kittygirl
January 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I concur with shaving! I had this problem with one of our cats - very long fur that would clump around her rear end. Medically she checked out fine, no weight issue to prevent her from keeping herself clean - I think that by the time she started grooming herself she just lost momentum by the time she got to her 'back end'. We did start out with a lion cut - for other reasons, but now that her hair has grown in she goes regulary to a groomer for a 'trim'. Works out best for everyone and she is content to keep herself tidy in between grooms.
If you do decide to groom your kitty - find a groomer that is both comfortable and experienced with cats. I did not the first time and although the job was done - I could tell from the groomer and the kitty that both were traumatized by the experience. Good luck!

Koteburo
January 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Oh God guys (girls) you both made me laugh with the lion cut because I imagined my fatty as a lion hahahaha
I don't know why I didn't think of any of this before. (grooming, shaving, trimming the butt area) And there she is I'm looking at her grooming a paw and with the dirty butt I have to clean again...
hehehe this is turning kind of funny.

Thank you so much both for your suggestions

sandyrivers
February 20th, 2012, 03:05 AM
hi,

my cat Gino has long hair.
I brush him daily to control this issue.
Sometimes, i use organic almond oil to loosen-up the things hanging from his bumbum... it works well and dosn't pull hair out.

Last summer i went on vacation, and the person in charge of my cats could not brush him proper...so he was a mess.
I had to have him shaved, you can see pics of Gino in my albums!

I think the best way to deal with this may be to just shave the hind of your cat until the weight is lost and she can groom.
You don't have to get the complete ''lion'' cut, but just the bumbum...

I found a person who came to my house to shave Gino, this way, he did not have to travel or be stressed out.

Perhaps a local vet or pet supply store can suggest someone to go shave your cat at home.

Best of luck.

sandyrivers