Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy biting

Larraine
January 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hi there, I have a beagle of 10 weeks old and do not know how to train her to stop biting me and other people, any suggestions?

BenMax
January 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
This is normal puppy behaviour and it is called mouthing.
When the pup starts to mouth, give the pup a toy (preferably nylon type).
The pup is not trying to bite. Redirect the behaviour.

ownedbycats
January 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Redirecting is good, but be careful, sometimes giving a toy directly after biting is seen as a reward for biting.
Another way is to yelp, and then ignore the dog for a few seconds before restarting the game. (sounds silly, but a high pitched "ow" lets the pup know he hurt you.) At first only do it for the hardest bites, then for any bite. It takes time and patience, but they DO learn (even if the edges of your sweatshirts get a bit ragged in the meantime:laughing:)

BenMax
January 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Redirecting is good, but be careful, sometimes giving a toy directly after biting is seen as a reward for biting.

True enough. Hopefully one can differientiate a real bite from mouthing.

betty_boop
January 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I had the same problem with my puppy.

We started yelping and leaving the room (going to the kitchen or bathroom). We totally disengaged him. He would stand in the middle of the room, dumbfounded! He didn't realize he was hurting us, so yelping, coupled with leaving got the message across very quickly that we weren't enjoying ourselves. For soft mouthing, we redirect him to one of his toys and encourage him to have fun. Doing these two things have REALLY helped us. He still mouths us when he gets the zoomies, but he's really calmed down with it.

One thing I DON'T suggest is holding his mouth down. Some people claim this works, but in my opinion it fosters trust issues - not to mention you could really injure them.

Be patient and consistent, good luck!!