Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drinking water additive

lindapalm
January 20th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Our cat had dental work done, and was sent home with C.E.T. Drinking water additive, which is supposed to fight plaque. Has anyone tried this, do you feel it helps, and is there any side effects? Does it effect the flavor of the water so that the dog or cat won't drink it?

sugarcatmom
January 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
I've never used it, and I probably wouldn't because it contains sodium benzoate, xylitol, and artificial colouring - ingredients that cats really shouldn't be consuming every day. :2cents:

lindapalm
January 21st, 2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't like the part that the dog/cat is swallowing it. I can see where it would work for humans that would just rinse with it, but to digest it, to me, sounds like there might be side effects.

sugarcatmom
January 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM
There is decent gel product that contains enzymes which inhibit bacteria: Biotene Maintenance Oral Gel (http://www.petkingbrands.com/products/bioteneMaintGel.html). Only problem might be trying to get it on the cat's gums every day. I've heard some people have success applying it with a Q-tip but I've never tried.

Longblades
January 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM
I've never used it, and I probably wouldn't because it contains sodium benzoate, xylitol, and artificial colouring - ingredients that cats really shouldn't be consuming every day. :2cents:Can you provide a link? I googled because I'm re-considering a water additive myself. I cannot find sodium benzoate listed as an ingredient and the xylitol, while a very scary ingredient, is too low in content to be a hazard if proper use is followed.

OP, if you want to check out another one, Oxyfresh also makes an oral hygiene solution that is added to water. I used to use it but got scared off by the danger claims but I'm going to look at it again. Maybe my last Lab simply had good teeth all her 14.5 years or maybe it helped. Dunno. The cats did not need teeth cleaning either, while on it. Ginger has been off it for +4 years now and she has some tartar and plaque, though still not enough for a cleaning as per my Vet. Then again, she is nearly 19 so maybe she would anyway.

lindapalm
January 21st, 2012, 11:33 PM
The fact that the vet gave me a huge free sample made me leery, don't know why, but it did. If its so good, why is he giving it away? My biggest worry is that they wouldn't drink as much water because they would be able to taste the additive. Theres no way they would let me rub anything on their mouth, I'm lucky if I can get meds into them.

sugarcatmom
January 22nd, 2012, 01:54 AM
Can you provide a link?

http://www.1800petmeds.com/C.E.T.+AquaDent-prod11025.html

the xylitol, while a very scary ingredient, is too low in content to be a hazard if proper use is followed.


But why even use it at all if it isn't necessary? We don't know enough about long-term Xylitol ingestion by pets to know for sure that it's safe, even at low doses. I'm a "better-safe-than-sorry" kinda gal when it comes to my cats.