Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seeking eyedrops for cat with herpes discomfort prefer holistic/homeopathic/natural

VIOLET0019
January 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM
My cat :cat: Ginger has flare ups because of herpes :cry: in one eye. I would be grateful to receive any information, i.e. names/brands of eyedrops to soothe his eye when he has this painful condition. Can anyone recommend any homeopathic/natural (preferably), or other eyedrops, which they use for their pets? Ginger has flare ups approximately 3-4 times a month. Right now I have been using Colloidal Silver orally and also placing 1-2 drops in the affected eye, 2-3 times per day. It seems to help a bit, but I find the Colloidal Silver to be somewhat astringent....I want to find out :lightbulb: if there are any drops that are ideally, natural and perhaps saline based to make Ginger's eye feel more :pray: comfortable? (I live in Montreal). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone!

growler~GateKeeper
January 20th, 2012, 01:24 AM
You can purchase pure saline solution from your local pharmacy.

There is also a homeopathic eye drop preparation I have used on my last cat, at the direction of her vet & homeopath, when she was having an undetermined irritation in her eye it's called Oculoheel (http://www.heel.ca/Heel-ca-Oculoheel.homotox) available at health food/homeopathic stores, follow the directions on the label/instructions.

diandpat
January 20th, 2012, 07:53 AM
So sorry to hear about Ginger's discomfort.

Ziggy and Zuzu BOTH had herpes flare ups after I adopted them from the SPCA. Ziggy was worse than Zuzu and had all the eye problems too. Took a while to get under control. Everything seemed to irritate his eyes, poor boo :(

I had read on a feline herpes board to give L-Lysine (1000mg/day) during flare ups and 500mg/day for preventative. It has been over two years since I adopted them and have not had a flare up since.

Good luck and hope Ginger is feeling much better really soon!

BenMax
January 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM
I don't know why you would specifically want homopathy as a solution. As I have many cats and kittens that I have fostered, the quickest and best way to treat the eye is with pre-scribed meds.
Alot of kittens that go without proper treatment can develope ulcers and then if really bad, may loose an eye or two for that matter.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you get the right stuff based on your beliefs.