Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing Sophie

Winston
January 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Sophie arrived at her forever home yesterday and we are absolutely thrilled. She is the teeniest puppy I have ever had. What a difference from Winston!

She is 26 pounds and a little sweetheart. She hasnt hit it off too well with Tabitha. When she came in the house she chased her down! :laughing: I shouldnt laugh I did feel bad for Tabitha.

She seems to have settled well. She slept from midnight till 6am and I woke her up to take her out. She didnt make a peep and she loves her crate!!!

Very very food motivated. She knows her sit really well. DH taught her last night "look at me!" OMG she is smart!

This morning she went to the side stairs and sat so I took her out and sure enough she went potty! She has the runs a bit today but I think thats because she went for a really long time yesterday without food and she was starving last night plus its all new!

Without further adeau here is Sophie!!!

Cindy

Winston
January 14th, 2012, 09:04 AM
She disapears on Winston's old/new bed! :laughing:

Longblades
January 14th, 2012, 09:13 AM
She looks happy and settled in already. What a pretty girl. And what a lovely, shiny coat. Shemust not have suffered any health setbacks if a gorgeous coat like that is any indication. :)

Loki Love
January 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM
She's really lovely - she's one lucky girl to have found a home with you :)

Winston
January 14th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thank you Loki Love!

I was actually very lucky to have found her through Rosies Animal Adoptions in Montreal. What a fantastic organization.

Also without the vital support of Luckypenny and Frenchy it would not have been possible. :thumbs up

Sophie was an owner surrender. She was purchased (unfortunately) from a pet store. Her owner is in the Military and sadly was asked to return to Afganistan and he sadly had to give her up. I hope someday he knows how lucky of a girl she really is! :thumbs up

diandpat
January 14th, 2012, 10:16 AM
OH I am so happy she (and everyone else) traveled safe and sound and has arrived home! I so wish I could have met her and you but am SO HAPPY she is home with you now.

I still have Ginger and Hobo's old beds as well and find a sense of comfort watching Zoey and Raggzy (and the cats LOL) lying on them. I got a warm feeling seeing Sophie on Winston's old bed :cloud9:

As you know, with puppies daily pictures are mandatory for the first year!!!! :laughing:

So glad hubby is happy too...it is difficult when we are not at the same place when it is time to "love again". But with that cute face he would have to be made of stone :lovestruck:

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. And yes, Rosie's is a fantastic organization!!!

Love4himies
January 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Awwww, what a sweetheart :cloud9::cloud9:. Looks like she has settled in quite nicely :thumbs up.

Guess I'm used to kitties, cause in my books "tiny" and "26 lbs" don't go together :laughing:.

serenamlambe
January 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
What a doll! She is so cute & such a lucky girl!

I did have to laugh when you said she was your teeniest puppy at ONLY 26 pounds though! :laughing: Don't worry, she'll be bigger in no time! :D

Winston
January 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM
L4H I hear ya but Winston was HUGE! over 40lbs at least by her age!

So yes she seems small to us! :laughing:

Diandpat i wish we could have met too! next time!!

I am in puppy :cloud9:

BenMax
January 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CONGRATS Winston.
So happy for you!!!
She hit the jackpot full of love for sure.

Goldfields
January 14th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Sad that Sophie's previous owner had to surrender her but I hope she gave him much enjoyment before he went back to Afganistan. Hope he returns home safely later and can find another pup to love. In the meantime, wow, big excitement in your home Winston. :) Had to get her weight in perspective. Twice my heaviest sheltie's weight, not much for a Lab though. She's a doll, and sounds like she might fit in beautifully. So pleased for you both, and for your new baby.

chico2
January 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Winston,I am so very happy for you and I am sure Winston at the Bridge is too,that a beautiful little girl gets to use his bed:grouphug:
Her coat is so very choclaty,just gorgeous...
I know I say this often,but it was fate that little Sophie found you and you her..:dog:

Winston
January 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I believe that too Chico!

Sophie's foster mom sent me this and it is so fitting I had to share.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Awwww, Winston, that brought tear to my eyes :cry:. It is so true and I know that all pets would hope that their loving owners would open their homes and offer their love to another pet in need.

Winston
January 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I loved it L4H and I cried too! Its how I feel about loosing Winston and gaining Sophie.

Sylvie
January 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM
There's my little girl. I miss her already.

hazelrunpack
January 14th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I thought she looked very small in that pic in the other thread! She's soooooo cute, Winston!! :lovestruck: Is she being a good girl and leaving her stitches alone?

I hope she and Tabitha make their peace soon! :goodvibes: Sure would be sweet to see some pics of them sleeping on the same bed. :D

hazelrunpack
January 14th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Oh, and I love the name Sophie, Winston!!! It really seems to suit her!! :D

chico2
January 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Winston,you got me tearyeyed too,that's so beautiful and for sure what Winston would want.
I am really,really happy for you and I know Sophie is a very lucky little dog,to get to live with you.

Goldfields
January 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thank heaven my friend bought me that box of tissues for the office that I forgot last shopping day. :cry: If Sophie's foster mom doesn't mind I might save that, I do occassionally come accross someone who says, no, I'll never have another dog.

Is Sophie over the runs now, Winston? Pity you haven't any Protexin, it's a probiotic I give in times of stress - like Sophie shifting to a new home. Give her a big cuddle for me.

pbpatti
January 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
awwwww winston has a new little girl..she is so sweet reminds me of Sasha when she was a wee puppy. I am so happy for you...:grouphug::cloud9: patti

dbg10
January 14th, 2012, 09:26 PM
what an adorable little girl. I also love the last will and testament as well, what a fitting tribute to Winston. :thumbs up

mikischo
January 15th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Sophie is an adorable girl.:cloud9: and a lucky one to have found you.

Congratulations and I love that "Last Will and Testament" too. I'm sure Winston would approve.

growler~GateKeeper
January 15th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Sophie's adorable congrats to both of you :grouphug:

I don't suppose Rosie's has any contact info for you to send photo's/updates to her previous owner while he's serving overseas?

Melinda
January 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM
she is soooooo sweet looking, you just want to cuddle her up, congrats wiston and hubby. and congrats Sophie for getting such a loving home, you won the lottery girl and you don't even realize it.

marko
January 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Congrats Winston - she is such a beauty :goodvibes::goodvibes: :highfive:
That last will and testament in post 13 is very moving, thanks so much for sharing it.

Winston
January 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Marko I thought so too. It re confirmed to me that I had made the right decision to move forward no matter how much it hurts.

She really is a good girl. Just the puppy stuff I am not used to! :laughing:

The runs are gone as well...pretty sure it was just stress!

I forgot about the little razer teeth and the activity level.....but I am ready for it.

Thank you so much everyone for sharing Sophie's Journey with me. It means so much to have a wonderful group of friends to share it with!

On a funny note...I dropped her leash this am for just a second and DH was napping on the coach,,,she ran over and covered him with puppy slobbery kisses! he was a little surprised to say the least!! what a wake up call.. LMAO...

Winston
January 15th, 2012, 09:02 AM
she loves her BIG bed! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
What a sweet pic, Winston! She's a little :angel: (heheh Remember that when she's chewing your slippers :p)

pbpatti
January 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Winston, I remember when Sasha was a puppy, she had so much energy that she was "bouncing" off the walls. I am not sure that I could handle that kind of energy today. Love the name Sophie too.

Yay for daddy kisses:cloud9::lovestruck: patti

TeriM
January 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Congrats Winston, she is adorable :cloud9:.

I have also seen a different version of the "last will and testament" and love it.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one." Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog!

Melinda
January 16th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Winston, I remember when Sasha was a puppy, she had so much energy that she was "bouncing" off the walls. I am not sure that I could handle that kind of energy today. Love the name Sophie too.

Yay for daddy kisses:cloud9::lovestruck: patti

*groan* Brina still has that energy.....

Dog Dancer
January 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Winston, it was nice talking to you on the weekend. So glad the transport worked out well, bless the vet tech for bringing her so far in such awful conditions! Sophie is gorgeous. She probably loves that the bed smells of Winston, it's probably comforting to her. Love love love the LW&T from the doggies. Perfect really. Hope your knee is healing up well. Hugs to you all on your new journey together. Does Sophie still have puppy breath?? Maybe just a bit...

Winston
January 16th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Yes DD she still has those razer sharp puppy teeth and breath! and a wonky smelling ear which we are treating her for! doesnt seem to bother her though!

OMG I am tired!! :laughing::laughing: she is FULL of energy!!!

Here are a couple of pics from today while she was enjoying her yard!

Dog Dancer
January 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
She sure looks happy and beautiful! Hope the ear turns out to be nothing serious. I love your kennel out back there. I wish I had one. Who won the battle Sophie or the tree?? Does she have a "forever" home tag yet??

Winston
January 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
She had the zoomies in that pic! she loves to chew......:D

I need a nap! :D

hazelrunpack
January 16th, 2012, 08:52 PM
If you try to take a nap, will she come and snuggle, or does she jump on you and want to play? :D

Melinda
January 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM
such a gorgeous coat!! she looks like she is enjoying herself.

Marty11
January 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM
SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Happy puppyhood! :D

Goldfields
January 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Wish I could roll in that snow with her. :) 37C here today. That first photo is terrific, she sure is a gorgeous kid.

CsqU4r3d
January 17th, 2012, 11:22 AM
What a living doll!!! Just wanna hug her till the stuffin' comes out!!:lovestruck::crazy::lovestruck:

Dog Dancer
January 17th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I just have to keep coming back to look at this cuteness.:cloud9:

Winston
January 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I truly feel blessed to have such cuteness! she is a little bit of a handful today! doesnt want her ears cleaned! squirned all over the place! :D

Dog Dancer
January 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM
What kid sits still for ear cleaning?? :D

doggy lover
January 19th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Winston congrats on the new baby she is a cutie:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
January 19th, 2012, 03:36 PM
It must be time for a Sophie update isn't it?? Please....

I hope your knee is healing my friend, and that you are getting some sleep.

Marty11
January 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
:thumbs upYep it's time !!!!!!!

Winston
January 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hi guys! Sorry for the lack of updates!

Just got back from Sophie's first visit with our vet and she is absolutely perfect! they removed her spay stitches and they have healed nicely. She received her last booster shot and they checked her ear. She still has some gunk in the ear but they checked for mites etc and all is good! She is now 28lbs and they indicated she will be a small lab for sure possibly no more than 50lbs or so! She is loosing her teeth too! The vet said her molars are just coming in and all of her adult teeth are in at the front the rest are still puppy teefies! She was a raving lunatic (sorry sp?) at the vets! :D

I also had some follow ups with the surgeon yesterday to find out what exactly was done last week. he said for my age my knee is in pretty rough shape. I had a complete tear of the meniscus and arthoscopy along with something else to take pressure off the knee. I have quite a bit of arthritis in 3 different spots in the knee.:yell: He said its healing nicely so I can see him again in 3 weeks!

Oh and heck is it ever itchy! he said its normal cause its healing!

Thats my update for today!

Dog Dancer
January 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Glad to hear the Lunatic had a good vet checkup. I had to laugh at that. Sorry. Lunatic in a good way I assume!

Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your knee though, the itching must be a drag. Sophie could maybe lend you a cone if it's a problem :p. I guess it sounds like you're just always going to have a problem knee doesn't it. That sucks. My sister has always had knee issues too. Puppy kisses have to make the healing better though.

Dee-O-Gee
January 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Sophie will soon bring pep back in your step Winston! :thumbs up

What a lovely thread and such a beautiful girl. :cloud9:

You can keep them there pictures coming anytime. :D

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Argh!!! I hate unscratchable itchies!!!! :yell: Good thing you have Sophie there to keep your mind off it! :D Is she pretty active at home or is she settling in pretty good?

Winston
January 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
hazel dl she is pretty active..especially those zoomies.
she had a little longer nap this am. dh is in having nose surgery so i had to leave her for awhile but she was fine...i am soooo happy she loves her crate.

Dog Dancer
January 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
If/when we get a puppy we will so be crating. I wasn't going to be pushy about pictures, but since somebody else mentioned it.... :o Good luck to hubby with his nose surgery.

Bearsmom
January 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Congrats Winston, and did she come into the home already loving the crate? Our new addition DETESTS his. DETESTS it.

Winston
January 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM
yes she loved it before coming here. it was one of the things i was so happy about. the one thing i am not used to is the foster mom covers the crate so that is
what i do, she never makes a peep.

Bearsmom
January 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM
*groan*. Must be nice....:frustrated:

Winston
January 27th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I think my llittle girl has settled in nicley! she sleeps like this ALL THE TIME!

Sorry for the crappy quality but it was taken with a cell!

Marty11
January 27th, 2012, 10:26 PM
OMG she is so precious!!!!!!!!!!! :cloud9:

pbpatti
January 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM
What a little sleaze:crazy: Thanks for the picture of your new gal. Sure looks like she has settled in nicely.

Goldfields
January 28th, 2012, 03:17 AM
LOL. That is exactly how Jarrah sleeps in this hot weather, Winston, cooling her belly. Usually her forehead is flat against her water bowl, cooling her head at the same time.

CsqU4r3d wrote ...
What a living doll!!! Just wanna hug her till the stuffin' comes out!!

Do NOT let her near your dog. ROFL. Sophie needs her stuffin'.

Love4himies
January 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Awwww it sure does look like she has settled in . How is Tabitha doing?

chico2
January 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Winston,she's just adorable,no inhibitions for sure:laughing:
her coloring is just yummy sooo choclatty:lovestruck:

Winston
January 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Chico your right no inhibitions here!

L4H things with Tabitha are going?? well not so sure. Sophie appears to just want to play with Tabitha but Tabitha doesnt want to play. Sophie will play bow and yip and make these funny noises at her. The bad thing is she chases and stalks Tabitha. So Tabitha has been spending most of her time upstairs in the house because Sophie is blocked from that area. The other day I was a little worried because Sophie is so fast she actually pounced on Tabitha. Tabitha got away but was really mad.

Now Tabitha seems to also taunt Sophie by walking by her on her bed and when she does get chased she comes back for more. All the while she is hissing and meowing??

We are being really cautious of Sophie as well because she does make nipping motions towards Tabitha. We have been on it all the time and correcting it but it seems that Sophie either has a short attention span or she really wants to play? So for now close monitoring of the situation and I am praying it gets better, because Tabitha is going to be 16 soon and I dont want her life changing too much because of getting another dog.

luckypenny
January 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I think my llittle girl has settled in nicley! she sleeps like this ALL THE TIME!

Penny wants Sophie to know that she needs to practice twisting her head and shoulders to the left and her rump more to the right and she'll have the Labby Yoga down pat in no time :p.

What a little darling :cloud9:!

Love4himies
January 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Now Tabitha seems to also taunt Sophie by walking by her on her bed and when she does get chased she comes back for more. All the while she is hissing and meowing??

Now that does seem like a cat, doesn't it ;)? If Tabitha is going close to Sophie, she's not too bothered by her, but I do understand you being concerned about Tabitha because of her age. :grouphug:

Winston
January 30th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I do worry for her and because she has always had issues with innappropriate urination and I dont want that to start up again. Having said all of that last night DH and I were looking at something on the computer and low and behold we came back in the Living room to find this so I am totally baffled??

Love4himies
January 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Oh that is wonderful :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck::cloud9: How that must have made your heart sing.

Dog Dancer
January 30th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Winston, I think that looks very promising! It's pretty sure that Tabitha wouldn't be laying there if she wasn't comfortable with it. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2012, 09:46 AM
That's a great pic, Winston! I'm so glad Tabitha is giving the little upstart a chance! :D I see she's still keeping an eye on her, but what a great sight to see them sharing the couch!!

Winston
February 4th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Well I finally have time to post an update on my baby girl! Boy she has kept me busy!

Between my knee, DH and a new pup the word exhaustion comes to mind. :D

Actually she has settled in well. She makes us both laugh everyday. She can be a handful at times but that is the puppy stage.

She has lost so many teeth its not funny but all of her pearly whites are coming in nicely. I have lots of teefy marks to prove it.

We had some issues with food but for now i have rectified the problem. She was being fed Nutro Lamb and Rice when she came. I decided to put her on orijen puppy as I had great success with Winston on that food. Well it must be too rich for her because she had the runs pretty bad. I even mixed it heavily with what she was being fed but still no luck. So i have switched her back for now to her origional brand and all is back to normal in the poop deptartment.

She knows sit perfectly. We are working on down. Dh taught her to shake a paw and to "look at me" which she does perfectly. She is so so with "come" because all puppy's have selective hearing! :laughing:

I am thinking that she would be great in something like agility because she is super fast! but we will see once I have her into an obediance class to see how she does.

She is wonderful in the crate and sleeps without making a peep.

I taught her to go to the door when she wants to go outside and she knows that 100%. Last week a friend dropped by a gift for Sophie and it included bells for the door. So she now knows to ring the bell at the door to go outside!! :thumbs up

There is one thing about Sophie we just cant beleive because we have never owned a dog like her but she is FOOD MOTIVATED OMG! she can jump six feet up in the air to take something out of your hand!

Her big problem is Tabitha and that just seems to be a work in progress because she just doesnt get it that Tabitha doesnt want to play :shrug:

Well thats about it for now!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
February 4th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Sounds like it's going well!!! :highfive: I'm tellin' ya, Cindy, bicycle gloves will help till she's done teething! :D

Does Tabitha box at Sophie when Sophie wants to play?

And how is your knee coming along? Not so itchy anymore, I hope :goodvibes: :fingerscr