Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feral kittens

Jackie467
October 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
My co-worker found 4 kittens in the bushes by a KFC. They are the cutest little things. two orange, one black with orange spot, and one white. I believe they are feral because they really don't like to be handled by people. the two orange ones will let you pick them up, the white one will let you pick it up but hisses when you reach tward it, and the black one is just terrible it hisses scratches and bites really bad, it even hisses if you walk past it at a distance, you have to pick it up with gloves. They will be going to the vet soon. They look like they're about 6 weeks, and they're very thin. right now they are eating dry cat food because she just found them last night and hasn't gone to the store yet, they seem to be able to eat this just fine. When she got them there was no mother cat to be found so now she is going back and looking for her but so far no luck. I was wondering if you guys had any good advice on what she should do for them. she plans on taking care of them until she can find them homes.

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
All I can say is good luck to her and watch out for fleas!! I am adopting out a litter I took in myself right now, two homed and two to go! :) If there is no mom to be found it could be a dump situation....I know that's how our Smoke ended up at the HS and then with us. Also be sure not to let them interact with any pets she may have, as ferel kittens are often ill (fleas/worms/mites/parasites...etc) and can pass these on to her pets.
Oh and I don't know about that area, but here there are programs and organizations that will help with vet bills for people who take in and rehome strays...sometimes the local HS or SPCAor vet will have their #s.
God Bless her and the little fellas...hope they all find great homes and have long, safe, healthy and happy lives! :D

Jackie467
October 6th, 2004, 05:54 PM
I checked them for fleas and didn't see any alive or any dirt but of course they could still have them. If they were dumped they weren't handled enough because none of them like being touch, like i said though the orange ones and the white one will tolerate it. I want the white one so much but my mother would never let me so i guess i'll just have to be happy to help her find them homes. What kind of food should she put them on? right now they are confined to a crate in the garage, it's a large dog crate. i was thinking that she should handle them a lot to get them used to people. but please tell me if this isn't a good idea, I don't want to tell her to do something that will hurt them in the long run. I hope to be able to post pics soon, they are adorable. thanks for the help in advance.

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Definitely get them used to being handled... as that will increase their chances of being adopted. As for food, I started the ones I have with a mid range dry kitten food (Nutrience) with a little bit of whiskas cats milk as a treat, then switched to canned food instead of the milk after a week or so. Has she been able to litter train them already? (If not, just place the litter pan in the cage, rub their paws in it and they should do the rest. Also clumping clay litter can be harmful to young kittens so use a crystal or recycled paper kind instead.) And a good way to check for the fleas is to run a flea comb through their fur...if they do have some you'll see them jump and scurry. I do not recommend bathing them...should they have fleas, something like Advantage or Revolution is best. That usually takes care of fleas/mites and worms all at once and if they are kept away from areas with fleas they only need to have it once.
If they have been outdoors and are in fact ferel it will take a while before they get used to people, and each kitten will have a different personality, so also come around at its own pace.

Jackie467
October 6th, 2004, 07:41 PM
thanks for the help. I ran a flea comb through them when i was there and didn't see anything, is it possible they don't have fleas? i think the orange ones have a very good chance at adoption they both are coming around really well and the white one will probably be alright it's just taking a little longer. It's the black one i'm worried about. I hope she can get it to come around soon so it will be more likely to be adopted. Thanks for all your help.

Lucky Rescue
October 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I have tamed litters of kittens much older than this, and adult feral cats too.

Patience is the keyword. Your friend should bring their food in (should be soft canned food) and sit with them while they eat. She should talk to them softly while they eat, and try and pet them with one finger.

They must learn to trust humans, and so should never be cornered or grabbed. They have to learn to associate people with good things like food and toys.

She should get some toys - like strings and feathers on a wand - and play with them in the their cage. Let the kittens come to her when they feel it's safe.

Tell her to be kind and gentle and wait for the kittens to want to come to her.

For kittens this age, they will be easy to tame.

Jackie467
October 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info Lucky. I'll be sure to tell her. Thanks you guys for all the help.

krdahmer
October 7th, 2004, 12:07 AM
No problem we're happy to do it! And what Lucky mentioned is all right on the money...it's pretty much exactly what I did to get these kittens to trust me....food and toys and slowly starting to handle them, first by one finger petting then eventually brushing and holding them. And these little critters have come around beautifully...although here it was also the little black female who was the last holdout... :o

glasslass
October 7th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Don't forget to take photos! :)

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Jackie,tell your co-worker we salute her for rescuing these little guys,they would more than likely have died on their own.
I guess there are more humane humans out there than I thought :)

Jackie467
October 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I have sort of an update. I haven't got to take pics yet, I forgot the camera, I'm going to remeber tomorrow. The white kitten is becoming very used to people. it will now come out and let you pet it on it's own. My other co-worker is thinking of taking the black one if we can get it tamed, which i don't think will be a prob, it's still really young, will just take some time. I have completely fallen in love with the white one, I'v been calling Angel, I think it's a girl. I know I can't keep her but I'm going to find her the best home of all, I'v kind of taken this one over LOL :D. i go and visit it every chance I get like at lunch and after work. I don't know why but that one just took my heart.

Akeeter
October 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I just allowed them to come to us & see us at feeding time.They got nosy when the heard food & dishes being rattled. I didn't push handling them until they decided we were 'They from whom all blessings flow'.
Since they are small, you will be seing them multiple times a day for feeding, & water. They will start to get curiose soon. A nice soft brush for grooming, just for short periods often allows touch & enjoyment without picking them up & freaking them out.

Sometimes you just have to take it slowly. I don't know when you are planning on re-homing, but had you thought about keeping the one who is more shy? To give him/her some more time to adapt. :)

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 04:41 PM
I don't think Vinnie was born to a feral mom,but he was found outside at a factory,circumstances unknown???
But I know how you feel about white cats,who could possibly resist this little angel???

GsdDiamond
October 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM
OMG. He's so cute. I so wish Terri liked cats. She can't stand the little furballs. Something about a sister, speaker wire & cats. :rolleyes:

tyr
October 7th, 2004, 05:08 PM
That white kitten is amazing!!!! I love his eyes!

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 05:12 PM
GsdDiamond,that's too bad,but you have a beautiful dog,right :)
All the oldies have seen my Vinnie sooo many times,but here's a nice pic of him all grown up and he truly is an angel :D

heidiho
October 7th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Those eyes are great

Jackie467
October 7th, 2004, 05:45 PM
The more shy one is the one my other co-worker is thinking of taking, but none of them will be re-homed until they are better socialized. The white one i love actully has an orange tint to it. it almost looks like her flame point cat did when it was a kitten. white with the orange tint. I hope to have pics tomorrow. thanks for all the help everyone. I love your cat chico, he is absolutly beautiful and i love his eyes. I think animals with different colored eyes are so neat looking, my moms whippet has one blue eye and one brown eye.

Jackie467
October 9th, 2004, 10:55 PM
sorry they're kind of poor quality.

Jackie467
October 9th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Sorry this is the best pic of the black on I have.

chico2
October 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Jackie,they are adorable and I am suffering from kitty-fever :D They are lucky little guys to be taken care of.....to me they look younger than 6 weeks,but it's hard to tell. Good luck to all of the little sweeties!

glasslass
October 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Ohhhhhh! They are soo sweet!

Jackie467
October 10th, 2004, 08:05 PM
They may be younger. The reason we thought that they were 6 weeks was because they wern't having any trouble eating hard food. They also seem like they have been gaining weight in just the few days she's had them. They're doing really well now and are starting to get more used to people. My other co-worker has decided to definatly take the black kitten after she moves into her new house in a couple of weeks. so one down three to go. :D

cutiecherise
October 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM
I'm currently trying to tame two five/six month old cats,
and i have to agree with the patience thought.

The tabby i'm cuddling under my shirt still hisses when i go to pick him up, but gloves are no longer required.
(were not required even for a BATH!)

I've only been caring for him for about a week, and he has a long way to go, but his situation has improved so much in that short time.
I guess handling them as much as possible is important, ensuring they're as healthy as possible. Cats can be nasty if they're sick or injured, and they hold grudges.
Yeah, you might already know that though...

I wouldn't be surprised if those kittens WERE dumped, even if they don't like being handled. They might have bad people experience.