Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Doors and Safety

lilpaws
October 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM
:eek: I am seriously considering putting in a dog door for my dog. I am gone too long (8 hrs) during the day, I think? Is this too long? She is 5 and doesn't seem to be having difficulty. (I just adopted her last week).

My concerns about a dog door are security and weather. It is pretty cold here in the winter and heating is an issue (expensive too!). But most importantly is the security issue, someone taking her or breaking in the house.

Does anyone have one that works well, is well insulated and hasn't had security issues?

Thanks,
for the dog with crossed paws (holding it too long).

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM
My cousin has a golden. He put a dog door in the kitchen wall which opened into the back of a kitchen cabinet. To disguise the outside opening, he placed a doghouse in front of it. So, Ginger exits through the kitchen cabinet out through the doghouse. No one realizes there is a dog door going into the house. Nothing but a dog coming out of her doghouse! :D

Lucky Rescue
October 6th, 2004, 02:48 PM
My cousin has a golden. He put a dog door in the kitchen wall which opened into the back of a kitchen cabinet. To disguise the outside opening, he placed a doghouse in front of it. So, Ginger exits through the kitchen cabinet out through the doghouse. No one realizes there is a dog door going into the house. Nothing but a dog coming out of her doghouse! :D

That is TOO cool!!:)

lilpaws
October 12th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I love that doghouse idea, it's great! Thanks!