Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pictures of my Schapendoes

schape
October 6th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Hi! I'm a new member and I have to start by telling that this seems like a very nice forum! I wanted to post few pictures of my dog Miina so you can alos see my cute baby :) Miina is almost 18 months old, she is Schapendoes (here in North America also known as Dutch Sheepdog) and I train obedience and agility with her.

http://www.van-wageningen.nl/andre/Pictures/miina/slides/I%20can't%20see.JPG

http://www.van-wageningen.nl/andre/Pictures/miina/slides/I%20am%20coming%20....JPG

http://www.van-wageningen.nl/andre/Pictures/miina/slides/Nice%20in%20the%20shade%20.JPG

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Can she see with all that hair in her face? Nice pics. Another breed that I haven't heard about.

schape
October 6th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Can she see with all that hair in her face? Nice pics. Another breed that I haven't heard about.

She doesn't have any problems seeing with all that hair on her face. I have tried to pull her hair up from her face with a rubber band, but she doesn't like it :rolleyes:

Schapendoes is still very rare breed in North America, at the moment there are probably less than 70 dogs in Canada and USA in total, and there are only 2 breeders (3rd one is about to start).

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
LOL...which one of the Beatles was she again??? ;)
Very beautiful girl...I love the long shaggy look....do you ever tie it back out of her eyes with a ribbon? (Trust us...rubber bands really do hurt as they pull at your finer hairs!)
And welcome to the forum....its a great place, you'll love it here! :D

Writing4Fun
October 6th, 2004, 01:33 PM
LOL @ Krdahmer! I'm thinking Ringo! :D

What a beautiful dog! About how big is she? How does she do at agility? Must be fun to watch all that fur flying along as she jumps the hurdles! :D

schape
October 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM
LOL @ Krdahmer! I'm thinking Ringo! :D

What a beautiful dog! About how big is she? How does she do at agility? Must be fun to watch all that fur flying along as she jumps the hurdles! :D

Ringo :p

She's about 40cm in height (almost up to my knee) and weights ~17kg (in imperial system that would be ~16 inches and ~37 pounds), so not a very big dog. Her body is quite long, though.

Miina is very good at agility, she just loves it. Tunnel and chute are her favorites. She's very fast which causes sometimes problems but now she's starting to listen to me better so she waits if I'm behind.

mastifflover
October 6th, 2004, 02:49 PM
She is beautiful. I have not seen very many of these dogs in Toronto.

Sneaky2006
October 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Gorgeous dog! That's a lot of hair and a lot of tongue!! :D

schape
October 7th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Gorgeous dog! That's a lot of hair and a lot of tongue!! :D

:D I don't think I have any pictures of her without her tongue hanging out :p It's a very big tongue... And yes, there's a lot of hair as well but fortunately it's quite coarse so it doesn't get tangled very easily.

mastifflover, there are couple of these dogs in Toronto, but the only schapendoes I have seen here in Canada were the dogs of Miina's breeder in Quebec.

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Schape,thank's for the pics,Miina is beautiful....I suppose if you want to find her eyes,you just follow her tounge :D
The agility training sounds like a lot of fun,for both dog and trainer..
Keep posting pics....she's the only one of her kind on this Forum.

iRONKNiGHT
October 7th, 2004, 08:20 AM
LOL...which one of the Beatles was she again??? ;)
:D
LOL kelly* you so FUnnY :)
Schape...Miina is beautifullllll she's so cute :)
what's her personality like?
anyways she's just awesome :)
thanks for posting her pix!!

Copper'sMom
October 7th, 2004, 08:34 AM
What a pretty girl!!

wAggie
October 7th, 2004, 09:55 AM
WOW!! she's gorgeous... reminds me of Chocolate's ancesters :p

GsdDiamond
October 7th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Man, she must be a chore to brush! I find my hands full with mine, I can only imagine the amount of loose hair you get from her!:eek:

She's lovely! Looks like she has a mischevious personality to me. Close?

schape
October 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Man, she must be a chore to brush! I find my hands full with mine, I can only imagine the amount of loose hair you get from her!:eek:

She's lovely! Looks like she has a mischevious personality to me. Close?

I brush Miina once a week, it takes about 45 minutes (and lots of chicken wiener bits ;) ) to brush completely, so it's not too bad. As I wrote earlier, the hair is quite coarse so it doesn't tangle easily. And when it comes to lose hair: there's none! Schapendoes don't really shed, so there's hardly any loose hair in our apartment from her. It's our cats who drop their loose hair all over the place :D When brush Miina I get quite a lot of loose hair off her.

And yes, she indeed has quite a mischevious personality :D She has a very happy, outgoing personality. She loves other dogs and small children. She also loves our cats, unfortunately sometimes the feeling's not mutual :rolleyes: She would like to play with the cats but the cats think she's too big and hyper. She also likes licking the cats, which they don't appreciate so much for some reason :confused: :D Most of the time Miina and the cats get well along. They share a favorite spot in our living room by the big floor-to-ceiling window and cats like sleeping next to her when she's calm and keeps her tongue in her mouth :p

Miina has some herding instincts, she tries herding our cats and our friends' small children every once in awhile. I'd love to see how she would do with sheep!

wAggie
October 7th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Miina has some herding instincts, she tries herding our cats and our friends' small children every once in awhile. I'd love to see how she would do with sheep!

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHha, that's hilarious!!