Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A couple of questions

Beautygirl
October 6th, 2004, 09:02 AM
First of all, why does a dog drag it's bottom on the floor or ground? It it just because it's itchy or is it something else? Just curious.

Second, our dog has slept on the bed with us since we got her (I know some people don't agree with this) unless dh takes up too much room and then she moves to the floor or the arm chair. Lately she's taken to sleeping under the bed. Should I be concerned?

mastifflover
October 6th, 2004, 09:17 AM
One of the main reasons is that the anal sacks need to be expressed. Trust me if this is the problem have your groomer or vet do it. It stinks really bad. But as far as sleeping under the bed has anything in the routine in her life or yours changed recently? Is she acting her normal self? Think if there have been any changes because a lot of the time these things alter there routine.If she is not acting herself I would see the vet. But try and rule out other things first. My dogs have always been allowed on the bed. My dogs bed is for putting his toys on he perfers the floor or my bed.

Princesss04
October 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I am not sure about the anal gland thing but I do know that when a dog drags his butt across the floor is a sign of worms to. You might want to take him to the vet and have him checked and dewormed. Have you seen anything in his poo? :eek:

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM
When Den-Den does it, I know he's trying to get rid of a "cling-on", the bane of fluffy-haired dogs. That's one of the reasons poodles have the base of their tail shaved. And you thought it was just for the cute little pom-pom!
Actually, it can also be worms, anal glands, or shaved too closely. But for Den-Den, it's cling-ons! :D

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Oh Glasslass that's so funny and true. Cling ons. :D :D

chico2
October 6th, 2004, 04:16 PM
We call them Will-nots and Vinnie has them all the time,he has long hair around his little diminished parts :D he too gets rid of it on my carpet,the one carpet I have in the house :mad:

Beautygirl
October 8th, 2004, 05:31 PM
It was only one day that I saw her dragging her butt on the carpet. She did it twice and nver did it after. We've kept an eye out because our first thought was worms, but didn't see anything.

As for the sleeping arrangements, nothings changed, or nothing that I can remember. I think she started doing it to hide from our daughter, who's 6 and wants the dog to be with her all the time. Dh's work schedule also is weird, some nights he works, others he doesn't so that may have something to do with it.