Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

LOL Oh no, Christmas pups!

kitona
December 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM
A couple of days ago, I was asked if I would take in two foster dogs for the Holidays. One's a 1 year old un-neutered male and the other, a pregnant female. The female is not just pregnant, but about to whelp any time now. I'm thinking tonight or tomorrow night.
Surprise!
Guess it's a very good thing I had no plans and no social life.
These two came down from the Yellowknife SPCA and were on their way to BC and had no other place to go for a few days. The boy leaves Tuesday morning but Little Mairi will be here until the pups are big enough to travel. She's safe, warm and in a large crate in the workshop. Talk about the ultimate Christmas story!

hazelrunpack
December 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Bless your good heart for taking them in during a time when most would be too busy!!! :grouphug: Could make for a very exciting Christmas. :D And we'll need pics after the blessed event, too, so charge those camera batteries!! :thumbs up

kitona
December 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Will do, Hazelrunpack. Mom looks like she's a beagle/husky cross and very, very sweet. I'll try to get a pic of her later today. Just hope everything goes ok for her.

hazelrunpack
December 25th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'll say a few Christmas prayers that all goes smoothly for both of you. :goodvibes: Have you presided over a whelping before? I think I'd be a nervous wreck. :o

kitona
December 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Yes. Way back when we had our sled dogs. We only bred a few times and only once did things go badly. LOL I AM a nervous wreck. Thank you for your prayers. I'll pass them along to Mother Mairi. Peace, warmth and light to you and yours.

pbpatti
December 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Good luck to you with the birthing I hope that everything goes well. Merry Christmas. patti

kitona
December 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM
This is soon-to-be Mom, Mairi.

Goldfields
December 25th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Kitona, that's about as good a social life as I'd like sometimes, getting to meet a litter of brand new pups. Hope all goes well for Mairi, does she look like she's having a big litter? Big litters can at least mean smaller pups that hopefully might be easier to whelp. Kudos to you for giving her the peace and security she needs at this time.

kitona
January 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Ok, so I was only 8 days off. Pups are arriving now. So far only two and both seem healthy. Pics in a few days! Gotta go.

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Mairi is lovely, kitona! Delivery is going smoothly, I hope :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Really looking forward to the pics of the new family!! :D

kitona
January 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Four in total! Mom's fine, pups are healthy and happy. Everything went smooth as butter. LOL Will post pics in a few days. Phew!

hazelrunpack
January 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Hooray! Glad to hear it, kitona! Mairi was so lucky to have hooked up with you. :D

kitona
January 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
Oops, one more appeared. LOL I hope that's all! Poor girl is exhausted. But what a great mom she is. Luckily, this will be the last time she has to do this.
She's been a really great guest, no barking, happy enough to be on her own and mostly house broken. Some lucky person will have a wonderful companion with her, and if the pups have as good a temperment as she does, they will be solid gold.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Crossing my fingers that she was done at 5. Give her a big hug for me...if she likes that sort of thing, anyway. :o

Those pics are gonna be great! :D

Sylvie
January 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
What a pretty girl. You are an :angel: to help her in her time of need. Can't wait to see the pictures.