Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!! pregnant(maybe false pregnancy) golden retriever

Dixon
December 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Hello~ (excuse my english as its not my mother tongue)

I found a golden retriever who was left in dog park about 5weeks ago - I passed this park everyday as its on the way to our home and she was always sitting by the gate at night.

She was very friendly and calm but somewhat skinny; some people offered her food but she did not eat any as she was there for about 4days.. she had no collar either and no one saw anyone coming to see her.

I took her my home when rain started a few days later. I offered her canned dog food and water but she only drank water.. I noticed that she had weird lump inside her mouth which the vet had it removed after that day(surgery); The vet said it was infected so she was not able to eat anything.

She eats fine and gaining weight and very sweet now.. last week I noticed that her breast and nipple are getting enlarged so I took her to vet.
Vet wanted to do ultrasound as she was not sure how far along she was; Ultrasound showed nothing and vet told me she is going through false(?) pregnancy,, like she thinks that shes pregnant when she is not.

the vet told me to come back about a month later to spay her but I am worried..she is getting bigger I think and I think I just felt somewhat tiny movement when I was petting her tummy; vet office shaved her belly for the ultrasound so I touch her tummy everynight! its so soft and she likes it!

I called a vet and she said she was 100% sure there ware no puppies and just bring her back about a month later..

I hope the vets right and I do not want to wake up one day something happened..I am confused... I never had a dog

She seems picky eater so I give her boiled chicken and scrambled eggs mixed with dog food(vet told me) otherwise she will not really eat the dog food... I bought 'taste of the wild dried food' as google said its good..

I added some picture of her to you guys to see and give me some advise.. Is there anything I should do for her? or is she going to be ok? She mostly lay on her doggy bed or follow me around.

Thank you!

Ps. Sorry for the bad paint editing on picture!.. did not know how to explain this

Dog Dancer
December 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Wow, she's a beautiful dog. Thank you for having a kind heart and rescuing her. She will be forever greatful to you and will reward your kindness many times over. I am sorry I have no advice to give you regarding this as I've never had an unspayed dog, but I'm sure someone with experience will come along soon and offer some advice. I guess right now you have to trust the vet unless you want to go and get a second opinion elsewhere. She certainly does look comfortable in her new digs! :lovestruck: Oh, have you given her a name yet?

Melinda
December 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
my moms poodle had a false pregnancy where her teats (nipples) did get large, but never leaked anything, could she have possibly just weaned a litter of pups in the last two months or so?? your so kind to have taken her in, did you look for an owner?

Dixon
December 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
my moms poodle had a false pregnancy where her teats (nipples) did get large, but never leaked anything, could she have possibly just weaned a litter of pups in the last two months or so?? your so kind to have taken her in, did you look for an owner?

Yeah, I did look for an owner with post and everything about 3weeks but no luck. I think they left her there because she had to get surgery, I had to pay nearly $1000 for the removal. :(

and she had flat tummy when she came first, its just keep getting bigger :(

Dixon
December 22nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Wow, she's a beautiful dog. Thank you for having a kind heart and rescuing her. She will be forever greatful to you and will reward your kindness many times over. I am sorry I have no advice to give you regarding this as I've never had an unspayed dog, but I'm sure someone with experience will come along soon and offer some advice. I guess right now you have to trust the vet unless you want to go and get a second opinion elsewhere. She certainly does look comfortable in her new digs! :lovestruck: Oh, have you given her a name yet?

We named her Apple!

breeze
December 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
beautiful name
and
beautiful dog!!

:cloud9::cloud9::lovestruck::lovestruck:

if you are really unsure about what the vet said you can always get a second opinion

Melinda
December 22nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
she's a very lucky dog to have found you!!!! Like Breeze said, try for a second opinion or take her back to the vet for another check.

breeze
December 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
did the vet take a poop sample?? (for worms)

could it be that she has been very hungry?? and now that she can eat again and given good food that she is put on weight??
can I ask how much are you feeding her??

Dixon
December 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
did the vet take a poop sample?? (for worms)

could it be that she has been very hungry?? and now that she can eat again and given good food that she is put on weight??
can I ask how much are you feeding her??

Yes, they did take stool sample and she was given worming pill and I gave her heartguard.
She was developing her breast as well and I feed her twice a day with full bowl but she is very picky eater and will only eat when she wants .. :(

Goldfields
December 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
IF she is in whelp, not eating can be morning sickness just like a pregnant woman has. I've had one girl refuse food for 9 days, (she went on to produce 11 healthy pups). If you think you felt something move then go on trying to feel that again. Whenever you can just rest your hand gently on her stomach, there is no mistaking the feeling of puppies moving around.
What we have found with phantoms is that the girls look pregnant by 5 weeks , but then the stomach disappears and there are no pups. They may have milk but nowhere near the amount like when they are truly pregnant . Wait and see if she gets bigger now and gets more milk. You get a big cyber hug from me for taking her in and giving her such good care.

Dixon
December 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
IF she is in whelp, not eating can be morning sickness just like a pregnant woman has. I've had one girl refuse food for 9 days, (she went on to produce 11 healthy pups). If you think you felt something move then go on trying to feel that again. Whenever you can just rest your hand gently on her stomach, there is no mistaking the feeling of puppies moving around.
What we have found with phantoms is that the girls look pregnant by 5 weeks , but then the stomach disappears and there are no pups. They may have milk but nowhere near the amount like when they are truly pregnant . Wait and see if she gets bigger now and gets more milk. You get a big cyber hug from me for taking her in and giving her such good care.

Thank you for the advise.
She does not have milk but her breast are getting bigger and hanging more :(..
I just saw she has some clear, odorless discharge..some are already hanging in end of her vulva drying and some more in her vulva..its very sticky like glue.

Should I be concern about this? what I felt was very weak/faint touch maybe its a gas..I am worried :(

Goldfields
December 23rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
They can get that discharge just prior to having pups but if she was that close, even carrying a single pup, I'd imagine an ultrasound, or an x ray particularly would prove things one way or another. Bitches having phantom pregnancies can be very convincing. I mated a sheltie and she missed, but had such a convincing phantom that my vet x rayed her just to be sure. LOL. Even he couldn't tell without that being done. Naughty Silk. :)