Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worried

ivy
October 6th, 2004, 02:09 AM
in the past few days my cat has been a complete killer and caught 7 mice. im talking sometimes 2 a day. i cant ever seem to get them away from her and she consumes them. im not sure when the last time she had her shots was and im worried now because i was playing with her tonight and she scratched me really badly. could she AND i possibly get rabies?

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Did a search and mice do not carry rabies. But with cats scratches they might become infected only because of the cat. Eeeww what a little mouser you have. :D

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Ya...what a killer! LOL...I would be sure to check for worms however as I know mice do carry and pass those on to cats...as well as certain parasites. A stool sample is usually enough to check those possibilities! 7 wow! :eek:

chico2
October 6th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Oh yes,mice carry all kinds of things...mine catch mice too,while outside with me and I never let them eat them,they probably would not anyway.
Generally they like to torture the poor little thing.
You don't remember if your cat is up to date on shots???
There is no danger of rabies,as stated before,but your cat will more than likely get worms...

Spurby
October 6th, 2004, 09:07 AM
One of my three boys caught one the other day, Junior had quite a bit of fun with the poor dead little mouse, and was ready to rip the mouse up just before i took it away. I can't allow this to happen, imagine if the media were to get news of this?? Killer Kitty kills a mouse in the house!! What if were a child?? :p

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM
LMAO Spurby....the horror of it all eh? :rolleyes:

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM
She's evidently found a nest and is cleaning it out! Puss-Puss never eats anything. I have a friend in the country who says all she ever finds are "mouse faces"! Her cat eats everything but the face! Ewwwww! :eek:

mastifflover
October 6th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Could I borrow your cat I live in a lold loft near reailway tracks and it would keep her busy. But on a serious note you have to be careful that they have not been eating mouse or rat poison. I would call your vet vet to see if the poison could be passed on to your cat. I hope not. I don't mean to scare you but better safe than sorry.

Lucky Rescue
October 6th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I would call your vet vet to see if the poison could be passed on to your cat

Eating a poisoned rodent will definitely poison the cat. As long as you know there is no poison being put out, worms and other parasites should be the only worry.

tyr
October 6th, 2004, 05:14 PM
I have a cat back at my Mom's house (childhood cat). Phoenix loooves eating mice. We live in the country and she is a definite threat to the mice population of Harwood :) I hate it - I get really upset when she kills one. She thinks she is giving me a "present" and I cannot get mad at her for it. I try my hardest to save them before they become "present" material. My mother-in-law used to laugh when my hubby and I first started dating. On a couple of instances when she used to drive me home at night. This was Phoenix's finest hour - I usually caught her in the act at night. I would "hiss" at her and she would know I meant business and stop (most of the time). When my hubby's mom (boyfriend at the time) witnessed this she laughed so hard and loud!

As for "presents", she likes to eat them whole - head and all. If they are "saved", in her opinion, they get brought in and put at the foot of my bed or dropped outside the front door. My mother always said to me, "Do not get mad or show signs of upset or you will hurt her feelings. This is her instinctive nature. You do not have to act happy or she will just bring you more, just quietly discard it. After she leaves you can cry and be upset as much as you want". This is my mother :rolleyes:

As far as I know, the instances are very rare now. Thank goodness.....