Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog left outside

poohbear123
October 5th, 2004, 08:57 PM
I just returned from my brothers house and there was a dog outside his place (not his) this dog ran over to us and i told my brother about it and he said it is always outside. They have only lived there since saturday. He said it had been left out all day and late tonight. Should i call the humane society and report a possible case of neglect? The dog looked like like it needed a good brushing and when it came close it started rubbing his butt on the drive way. And it is going to get very cold tonight he shouldn't be left out alone. I think it is a lhasa Apsa or ****shu What should I do?

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 09:14 PM
this is a bit cheeky, but dont look at brushing as a sign of neglect, oh no. i am the laziest dog groomer on the planet, yeah she get a brush once a month or so, or if lucky a little more often than that (she is bathed monthly or so and she has med hair length, i usually brush after baths) :D ,

my mum is always comenting on mine and my dogs ragedy appearance. but after 8yrs us gals have decided that we are happy to be a bit scruffy and it does not bother us much. although i cant be so lazy in summer as she sheds so i brush weekly for her comfort then but not in winter as she does not care.
oh boy what have i said, please dont think i am awful, im not, just rather lazy about some things :D

to answer your post, ask your brother about the ppls activities, moving is a busy time and they might just be trying to get things sorted out..you know how much runing artound one does when moving, so that might explain it a little. but if he is not sleeping outside, jsut tied up till they let him in it wont hurt him. get your brother to watch them for a few days to see if that behaviour continues.

poohbear123
October 5th, 2004, 09:23 PM
My brother is the one who just moved in to the house and has seen the dog running loose for a couple days now. The dog is not tied and is running free! When I put my hand out for the dog to sniff it it backed away....so i am not sure if it is afraid of people. The dog didn't appear to be well taken care of. We are concerned for his safety and wondering what we should do if anything. Thanks for your help.

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Mel, no one thinks you're awful for not brushing your girl. But the dog in question here is a Shih Tzu-type - not a breed you'd usually find running around the Australian Outback. ;) Also, the original post said it was running loose, not tied up, and started dragging its bum - a sure sign that attention is needed.

Sorry Poohbear, I didn't catch that in your original post. Who has been living there since Saturday? Your brother, or the dog's owners? Could the dog just be escaping from the yard without the owner's knowledge?

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
No responsible person would move to a new house and leave their little dog loose outside to get lost, poisoned, run over, or attacked by other animals, not to mention stolen..

The law states animals must have food, water and shelter. If this dog is left out he doesn't have shelter, at the very least.

Also, the fact that he is loose is a violation of the leash law, if it applies in your area.

I would definitely call the humane society and tell them about this.

Thanks for caring!

chico2
October 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
If your brother cannot find the owner and the dog is around your brothers place 24/7,he should definetly call HS.
Does the dog have a tag?? Maybe he's lost and someone is looking for him,the cold nights could kill him :(
Maybe your brother could take him inside in the meantime and give him some food.
Maybe I missunderstood :confused: Does your brother know who the owner is???

poohbear123
October 5th, 2004, 09:36 PM
My brother just moved in on saturday and has seen the dog around since then. I told him he should call the hs. I was tempted to take him home with me but with 3 little kids i was not sure of his temperment. I will call them in the morning to see if the dog is still there and then go from there. He thinks the dog lives a couple doors down but is not sure.

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 09:47 PM
sorry got confused, now i get it, your brother was the one who moved in, i thought it was the other way round. well in that case i would definatly call HS, even if it is not being abused dont take that risk and get it checked out. and get your brother to track the dog and ifnd out exactly where he is living.

Shelby
October 5th, 2004, 10:21 PM
If the dog is hanging around your brothers place and he has just moved in, maybe the owners of the dog used to live in your brothers place and have left the poor dog behind!!

Bugsy
October 5th, 2004, 10:27 PM
What if Shelby's right?? Can your brother maybe put some food/water out...if he can't take the dog inside, just till it
all gets sorted out. :(

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2004, 01:03 AM
I'd be calling the Spca or dog pound if the dog is loose, you don't want it to get by a car.

poohbear123
October 7th, 2004, 09:57 AM
They haven't seen the dog now since tuesday night!! If they see him again out loose they will call the HS and report it. They think he leaves near by, but are not sure so they will keep an eye on it and if they see him again they will call and report it. I will keep you posted on what happens.