Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New owner of Dog needs to learn !

jrahman
December 11th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hi:
My family is going to own a puppy which was born on November 01, 2011. This is a male puppy, cross breed of Border Collie and Husky. The current owner will give it to us the first week of January 2012 after he would be able without breast feeding of mother (border collie).

While we are looking to welcome this puppy to our family, we have started learning about raising a puppy. Note that, we don't have any previous experience of pet dog.

We have several questions while preparing and gaining knowledge about dog pet:

1. Do we need to register our puppy at city hall (we live in Ottawa) before bringing it to home (we are bringing the puppy from Quebec province) ?
2. Current owner told us that she did de-worm the puppy, do we need anything else or visit a vet clinic before bringing to home ?
3. As a novice owner, where should we get information about puppy training ?
4. Our main challenge may be poo and pee training for the puppy, is there any internet site where we could get learning information ?
5. Should we need to walk puppy out every day, if so, how many times ?
6. What precaution we should take to keep the pet smell minimum inside house ?
7. How frequently we need to wash and shampoo the pet dog for cleaning ?
8. How many times we need to feed the puppy a day ?
9. Is it preferred to buy a cage so that he could stay or sleep inside while no one at home ?

Digston
December 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Hi there! Let me be the first to welcome you to the wonderful world of being a puppy parent! I'll do my best to answer these for u :)

1. Do we need to register our puppy at city hall (we live in Ottawa) before bringing it to home (we are bringing the puppy from Quebec province) ?
Check with your City Hall. Even your local vets may know. I am in Saskatchewan and here you have until your puppy reaches 4 months to have them licensed.

2. Current owner told us that she did de-worm the puppy, do we need anything else or visit a vet clinic before bringing to home ?
Deworming will have to be done a couple of times. Usually vets will do the deworming at the same time as vaccinations. I would find out what the dewormer was and the date given so you can let your vet know. As well, find out whether any vaccinations have been given. Puppies need multiple vaccinations. Usually 3 sets spaced 3 weeks apart. My veterinarian offered a puppy package that bundled the cost of all 3 vaccinations, deworming and office fees at a slightly discounted rate. Perhaps check whether your local vet offers something similar. The puppy should visit the vet within the first couple weeks for sure.

3. As a novice owner, where should we get information about puppy training ?
Look into any obedience training in your area. I learned a great deal from the puppy class I took my first dog to! As well this forum is extremely helpful :)

4. Our main challenge may be poo and pee training for the puppy, is there any internet site where we could get learning information ?
This was my issue as well. Potty training was a very stressful time for me. Heres an awesome article on Crate Training that was posted on this site
http://www.pets.ca/dogs/articles/housebreaking-crate-training/
The only thing I can add to this is that you should take the pup out every 30-45 minutes. As well, you'll learn the cues your dog gives when its potty time. Sniffing the floor, moving in circles, etc. Always watch them, the second you turn away is the second they'll take off and leave you a present.

My experience with pee pads was a bad one and I wouldn't recommend using them. Others may have had a different experience and could possible help you if thats a method you'd like to use.

5. Should we need to walk puppy out every day, if so, how many times ?
Until the pup is fully vaccinated its better to keep it at home. Yes, it will still need exercise, but a good romp in the backyard will do the trick until your pup is protected.
After that point your pup will need a great deal of exercise time. Huskies and Border Collies are high energy dogs so at the very least I would say an hour of fast paced exercise.

6. What precaution we should take to keep the pet smell minimum inside house ?
Use an enzymatic cleaner. Natures Miracle is a commonly known one, but there are many :) Use this on any accidents during house training. And for the pup himself there are puppy colognes you can buy.

7. How frequently we need to wash and shampoo the pet dog for cleaning ?
Shampooing isn't necessary often. Too many bathes with shampoo can dry out your pups skin. I only shampoo my dogs once a month. If the pup makes a mess of itself just give it a rinse rather than using shampoo each time. Use shampoo at your discretion, and make sure you use a puppy shampoo as its gentler.

8. How many times we need to feed the puppy a day ?
Strict feeding schedule, especially when house training. I would do 2 feedings. One in the morning and one in the evening. Free feeding, leaving food out all day, can lead to your dog becoming overweight.

9. Is it preferred to buy a cage so that he could stay or sleep inside while no one at home ?
That one is answered by the article on crate training. Definitely do not give your pup free range of the house when your not home. It will only frustrate you when you come home to find your things were used a play toys while you were gone.

I hope I answered your questions well enough. If not, or if you think of more, let us know!! We'll all do our best to help you feel confident in your ability to raise this pup!

jrahman
December 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hi Digston: Thanks for all the questions answered in so much detail. I really appreciate your time.

Longblades
December 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
With my first puppy this book was my bible. It told me ahead of time what to expect along the way and how to prepare. I really recommend this book.

Good Owners, Great Dogs (http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=dtb284)

Digston gave you some great answers. I would change only one, I suggest at least 3 feedings a day, maybe four. As per our dogs' breeder. She said to go to two meals at 21 weeks of age. Plus she had us soak the kibble ahead of time for as many hours as it was between feedings. At about 8 weeks old your puppy should already be eating solid food so ask the owner what they are feeding and how often. Itty bitty puppy tummies often don't handle abrupt change very well.

Hmmm,well, ok, maybe two. No way do I shampoo once a month. Not even once a year, some years for us. People do shampoo that much, for instance if they have a therapy dog who is visiting hospitals it might be required.

I bet you can hardly contain yourself. Are you able to go visit ahead of time?