Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Q about pumpkin pie

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM
so i was watching tv, and there seems to be some connection between pumpkin pie and thanksgiving day (no idea what that is for).

so what i want to know is this, i know what a pumpkin pie is in the savory sense. but from what i can tell it is a desert, is it sweet??
is it strange to eat sweet pie but made form vegetables? and od you make sweet pies with other vegetables??
what makes it sweet??
and does canada celebtrate that thanks giving day??

thanks everyone

pug lover
October 5th, 2004, 06:31 PM
a bit of pumpkin a bit of squash a little sweetner and voila a pumpkin pie

it a firmer type of pie---an aquired taste i guess too

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 06:47 PM
thanks for that, it is amazing that our lives are very similar, ie we speak the same language, look similar but we have such different cultural tastes such as a pie made form pumpkins. over here your pies are either fruit or meat and gravy, the old aussie fav. apparently the meat pie is not so popular around the world as they are here. well i think a pumpkin pie is one thing that i would like to taste, it looks very interesting and could be part of my global cultural education. :D

thanks again

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Mmmmmmm... Pumpkin pie...... (drooling, Homer style). But you have to top it off with whipped cream, or I won't touch it.

Meat pies are a very British thing, aren't they? Unless you're talking about tortiere, which is French (and very yummy!).

Canada celebrates Thanksgiving, but not at the same time as the US. I believe the traditional meal involves turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Being of Italian descent, we don't do turkey (guess turkeys were in short supply in Italy??). Mom's into ham, and dessert is almost always cherry cheesecake. Yummy!! :D

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Yummy - homemade pumpkin pie! It has a wonderful texture and tastes of cinnamon, cloves and sugar and yes, it must be topped with whipped cream.:)

And tourtieres - meat pies made in Quebec - have a unique flavour all their own, although there are many different recipes. I have a great recipe if anyone wants it!! :D

Iggette
October 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Canadian Thanksgiving

The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578.
He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival in the New World. This means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts!

Thanksgiving for Canadians is about giving thanks for the harvest season rather than the arrival of pilgrims. Both Canadians and Americans celebrate Thanksgiving with parades, family gatherings, pumpkin pie and a whole lot of turkey!

In 1957, Parliament announced that on the second Monday in October that Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

During the American Revolution, Americans who remained loyal to England moved to Canada where they brought the customs and practices of the American Thanksgiving to Canada. There are many similarities between the two Thanksgivings such as the cornucopia and the pumpkin pie. According to one Canadian resource, the Canadian table usually features venison and waterfowl. Another source says that turkey and ham is the featured food. Conversely, a third source adamantly stated that when he was young "wild duck/goose was always served for Thanksgiving and, if they were fortunate venison as well! This was a common practice in that area at that time."

Here are a few pie recipies for you to try
Pumkin is not my favorite pie and is an aquired taste preference but many love it non the less

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
thank you for that, yes it is very simpsonesque my question, they started this thought. so you celebrate that day, that is very interesting as i thought it had something to do with pioneers in america or something, but then those pionerres probably discovered canada or similar, oh so strange :rolleyes: thanks giving must be a big thing though as it is quite often mentioned in tv shows and such. i should actually look it up.

i would love to try a pumpkin pie, so strage a sweet vegetable pie, and with whipped cream, man it must be a taste sensation as it does sound odd, i cant wait. i might try and find the recepie and make one, should be a fun experiement. i could even turn it into an american themed dinner party, oh how exotic :D :D

(read the following with tounge in cheek)-

:eek: oh my no, the brits gave us aussie lots of things (good and bad) but they never gave us the meat pie, it is ours, i can assure you that the good old aussie meat pie is just that, good old aussie. my goodness my heart is racing at the idea, oh no my national identity (joking), no it is ours and ours alone, and before any brits reply, can i say the lamington is ours too so dont go there:D . the meat pie is a staple in any aussie kids diet (that is till they can read the ingredients :D )

boy we even have laws that dictate the amount of real meat that has to be in every meat pie (5% only yuck), without the meat pie and its huge cultural context (well mainly sport) and history in aus, our country may not have been what it is today :D
(ps i would never eat one even if i was dying, but do feed them to hubby he likes em :eek: :p )

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 08:54 PM
LR and iggette, you beat me to the post, i was a bit slow. iggette thank you for those recepies, i will definatly try it out this week, i am really looking foreward to it, as a vegetarian in a pie eating country we dont get many special treats so this may be my new special one, but i will taste it first before i make a conclusion. and thanks for that 101 of history, that was great and now i feel all knowledgable and at least now i actually know what it is, and not just a turkey eating festival :D :D and sorry guys, but i was wrong and will now have a canadian themed dinner party with pumpkin pie and turkeys. :D

tell me those quebec meat pies, are they encased in pastry both top and bottom?? i have heard you dont put pastry on the bottom or is it the top ?? of your pies is this true??

thanks you lovely gems, your all fantastic

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 09:07 PM
...and before any brits reply, can i say the lamington is ours too so dont go there:D ...
Ok, I'll bite. What is a lamington??

Sneaky2006
October 5th, 2004, 09:10 PM
This is definitely a unique thread!
It never even occurred to me that some people here don't celebrate Thanksgiving as we do (or at all).
Mel, never had a pumpkin pie?! That is so sad, it's so yummy! We make a few for every Thanksgiving and for Christmas too. And pumpkin roll!
I never really thought as pumpkin being a vegetable either, so it doesn't seem odd to me.
Pumpkin pie I would have to say is different than any other pie I've had, it's more like a paste when baked and to me it is rather sweet. And yes, I have to agree with the whipped cream people!

And in the states (well here anyway) the Thanksgiving meal is turkey with gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, salad with hot bacon dressing and yup the pumpkin pie... followed by a nap. :)

Oh, also, those recipes that were posted seem really difficult compared to my moms recipe, we use canned pumpkin... way easier than a real one. But I don't know if you would have that?

I have never had a meat pie... what kind of meat is it? And what else would go in it? Also, is this like a main dish? :confused:

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Oh yeah. Gotta have that nap. In our house, the men (the ones over 30, anyway) always retire to the basement to "watch the football game". Within minutes, the snoring is deafening. :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
October 5th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Now we don't feel so bad takin that nap cause we heard that turkey has a natural sleeping agent... don't know how true that is, but I don't think it would matter! :D

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
What is a lamington??

Some Americans I chatted with mentioned this, but I can't remember what it is! :confused:

Tourtiere is a French Canadian meat pie. It can be made with ground veal, beef, or pork, or a combination of the three, various spices and either mixed with mashed potatoes or breadcrumbs.

And it has crust on top and bottom. It's served as a main dish, or along with Christmas dinner. Many Quebecois like it with either gravy, or fruit ketchup.

It's very good, but will definitely put you to sleep!

LavenderRott
October 5th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Every self respecting grocery store in the United States sells chicken pot pies! They also come in beef and turkey. They are little pies, made in tins. They contain meat, veggies and gravy. The better brands have both top and bottom crusts.

The Northern Penisula of Michigan is known for it's pasties. These are a cultural pie, usually made of beef or chicken and vegetables wrapped in a pie crust. Some serve gravy over it.

PUMPKIN PIE! I am so sorry that you have never had PUMPKIN PIE! It is my very favorite. I have never had it with squash mixed in as someone mentioned though. And yes, there is plenty of sugar used in the making!

Sneaky2006
October 5th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I have had the pies from the grocery store, and KFC has chicken pot pies... I do not care for them, a pie to me should be sweet. I just wanted to know about this "meat pie" like some meat we haven't heard of before... :D
Oh and if you say "chicken pot pie" in my house, you are talking about a soup/stew... hence the "pot". :D

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 09:52 PM
:D god you ppl are fascinating, i love having my international mates, i find you just fascinating.

no we dont have a thanksgiving day, most ppl here wouldnt know what it is other than something done in america. but we have a million public holidays to compensate, but we only feast at christmas and some ppl easter. boy we are missing out.

i have never seen canned pumpkin but the soup is popular here so i imagine i can find it somewhere, i will look today, i am dying to make this pie now, just to taste it, it just sounds so strange. sneaky cna i just ask why you never saw it as a vegetable, is that because of the way you use it over there, cause over here it is only used as a vegetable in soups baking etc. we do have sweet pies but they only contain fruit, like apple or peach pie.

Lamington- another staple in a aussie kids diet. it is a square piece of sponge cake, somtimes with jam layer in center, it is dipped in a chocolate sauce (i just use cocoa and icing sugar) and then rolled in coconut. they are a real bugger to make if you sauce is to runny though, really messy. but they are totally delicious and an aussie company has just started marketing them in the USA where apparently they have become a big sensation, which we find odd, its jsut a lamington afterall.

meat pie- the meat used can be anything, beef, pork, chicken, fish (my granny makes a disgusting fish pie) the lot. most pies have at least 5% meat and the rest is gravy, thickener and often endtrails and pigs trotters (i am very seroius), sounds pretty disgusting doesnt it?? meat pies are sold in every shop, service station, train station, well look anywhere in this country you can buy a meat pie, they are big enough to fit in the hand. but i have never heard of a chicken pot pie, or KFC dont sell those. but to me what you call pot pie sounds exactly like our stews.

but we do make bigger ones for main meals, and i make my own using mince, onion, spices such as chilli, stock and gravy (no endtrails) sounds very similar to the quebec pies only no potato or bread crumbs, you cna get some with mashed potato on the top, there are a million flavors such as the very famous pea floater (peas and mince in ridicualous amounts of gravy, often with potato on top). but vegetarian pies here are pretty grose, like the meat pie they use half rotten veges and it is just grose, so again i make my own.

i did not know the natural sleeping agent in turkey, perhaps it is in all i eat cause i always want a nap after food. the descrtiption of thanksgiving day activities sounds exactly like an aussie christmas, just without the cricket, lucky you. but these days it is good old aunty mel that is snoring on the couch getting out of doing the dishes, hey im introducing equality into my family :D :D :D

and a big thanks to all my wonderful international friends, you are all just great, now i need to get to the shops for some pumpkin, oh how exciting i love an experiment.. :D

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Ahhh guys! Thanksgiving is my day! It's always at my house. I stay up all night baking. One year, I baked 4 pumpkin pies, 4 pecan pies, 4 lemon meringue pies, and 1 mincemeat pie. That was my record. We always invite neighbors, friends, besides the family. Sorry for all the pictures. Can't get it all in 1 shot. The observant of you will notice I'm younger and thinner in the pie photos. Also the centerpiece varies because these weren't all taken in the same year. Always looks the same actually. I always have Turkey, Ham, and Swedish Potato Sausage. For all you who don't have Thanksgiving, this is what you're missing. Stop in if you're in the area! You'll be more than welcome!

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Here's one for you Mel!

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 11:21 PM
The rest are out in the garage!

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Of course, I don't cook for a week after!

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Don't you all feel so full now? :D

krdahmer
October 5th, 2004, 11:30 PM
What about Sweet Potato Pie...thats a big one too huh?

I made my first home-made pies last Christmas...Pumpkin (1sugar and 1sweetner) and a Cherry. Plus these Apple Pie Slices (like a bar) that were to die for!!! And I have come to the conclusion that I indeed have inheritted Grandma's baking skills! Although I have to use it sparingly cause I am the only one home all week to eat it!!! So I just save it for Holiday baking!

Oh and I have a mean recipe for Pumpkin Bread (Sugar or Sugar Free).
Actually I get a lot of recipes here.... AllRecipes (http://www.allrecipes.com)

melanie
October 6th, 2004, 01:07 AM
hey thanks for that glassy, at least now when i make one i will know what it is suppossed to look like. i love to bake, i dont buy biscuits or cake, malke all myslef, needless to say all hubbies friends rather jealous :D

thanks for that link krdarma, good site love new recepies, especially those form otherplaces, yum.

oh i am so hungry now, and i cant stop eating, gosh i should never have started talking about food, it is killing me. :D

Sneaky2006
October 6th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Yeah Mel, I think that is why I never thought of pumpkin as a veggie, I've only ever had it in pumpkin pie or roll form. They are both really sweet to me and I never ever eat veggies that are sweet or made sweet, not like peas being sweet, I mean like adding sugar and topping with cool whip!

And I have to say I gagged when reading the fish pie thing, ughhh! I hate fish, and then to have a pie... oh my!

Glasslass... I can't wait for Thanksgiving now, that's just what the table at my moms looks like. I don't get to make turkeys that often, hubby gets sick from them!

Krd... Those apple pie slices, are they on that site, they sound awesome!

moontamara
October 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Glasslass, when were those pictures taken? You were/are quite beautiful! (the pies looked pretty darn good too!)

jackieb
October 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM
we have recently emmigrated here and never celebrated thanks given or made pumpkin ppie i have bought a large pumpkin for my boys for halloween ( we dont really celebrate this either in england) as we went to a neighbours house and this encourage my children into halloween so i told my hubby we needed a pumpkin and costumes for halloween he wasnt particularly impressed and i was wondering what to do with the pumpkin insides now i know so thankyou all.

chico2
October 6th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Jackie,I am surprised about England,even France celebrates Halloween nowadays and Sweden has something very similar sans the pumpkin,any excuse for a party :D
We will be going to a Ukrainian/Italian thanksgiving-dinner and there will be Turkey and Pumpkin-pie among another 2.000 food-items :D
I never aquired a taste for pumpkin-pie,I think you need to be born with it :p

jackieb
October 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM
well you get kids sometimes trick or treating in england if they want money but it isnt really celebrated and nor is thanksgiving so im going to celebrate it now!!! lol i havent ried pumpkin but will do as i have a huge pumkin to carve !!!!!!! :D

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Krd... Those apple pie slices, are they on that site, they sound awesome!

Yeppers...I get the majority of my recipes from there now....and a hint...I find it very helpful to read the reviews of the recipe first. People that have already tried it tell you what they think and things they did to improve it. :)
Just don't browse while you're hungry...you'll end up printing out like 50 recipes....not that I know that from experience or anything... :rolleyes: ;)

krdahmer
October 6th, 2004, 09:26 AM
I never aquired a taste for pumpkin-pie,I think you need to be born with it :p

Ya I'm with you Chico...no pumpkin here for me...well except for pumpkin bread (cause it really doesnt taste like pumpkin-lots of spices).

Oh and Clubhouse(Ithink) has a "Pumpkin Pie Spice", the ones in those little orange containers and it tastes great in EVERYTHING! I use it in my shortbread recipe, and hubby LOOOOVES it...he is a huge pumpkin pie fan, so I have tried the spice in all kinds of baked goods. It is also great for molasses cookies or gingerbread.

Oh man this post is right up my alley!!! YUM

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Actually, the canned pumpkin that we use for pie isn't actually pumpkin (the type used for Halloween), but squash! Sweet potato (the soft, red sweet kind-like Garnet, not the drier, yellow type) is a good substitute. I have a friend that bakes pumpkins for use in pies, but the texture isn't as smooth as the canned squash. By the way, mincemeat pies are apple & raisin. Venison is no longer used! As kids, we made a wish before eating mincemeat. For the wish to come true, no talking til the pie was finished. I just recently realized that no other families have heard of this tradition! {{Sigh}} Mom slipped another one past us!!! :p
Moonie, that was 1985! Thanks!

debanneball
October 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM
HEY GLASS....WHAT TIME IS DINNER? Mel, how about this one...at Christmas time we have mincemeat pie, which is not made from meat of any kind.....

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 09:58 AM
We eat early - 2p - so we can digest it all before bedtime! Actually, my hubby prefers the day after Thanksgiving. That's when I boil up the carcass and make Turkey Noodles. Everybody comes back for that and we also have leftover rolls, salads, pies, etc. Very informal!

Cflat
October 6th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Can I have your Tourtiere (can't spell it??) recipe?! I would LOVE to try it this weekend.
I LOVE pumpkin pie and I LOVE sweet potatoe pie and I LOVE Pecan Pie (very american) - HEY I JUST LOVE PIE!

GsdDiamond
October 6th, 2004, 12:03 PM
And tourtieres - meat pies made in Quebec - have a unique flavour all their own, although there are many different recipes. I have a great recipe if anyone wants it!! :D

I love toutieres, but cannot find a good recipe. I went the Metis pavilion at Folklorama, but their Tourtieres was not so good....kinda loose and watery.

If the recipe you have can be made with different meat, that would so great! I've had Turkey Tourtieres, and it tastes awesome!!! Drop me an e-mail and I'll give it a whirl.

As far as Pumpkin Pie goes....YUMM!!!! Has anyone ever tried Carrot Pie? Substitute cooked carrot for the pumpkin (if you can't find any) and you'll not be able to taste the difference! Top with Whipped Cream and serve as you would Pumpkin. Use the same spices and recipe!

Writing4Fun
October 6th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Oh, Glasslass! What a beautiful table! I am soooo looking forward to Thanksgiving now, thanks to you. ;) We're going "home" for the week-end, where we'll be celebrating at the out-laws' house on Sunday, and then at Mom's on Monday with an extra bit of celebration for the baby's 1st birthday (*sniff!*). Yeah, we'll be "rolling" (literally!) back down the 401 when that's all over! :D

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 02:31 PM
LR, I'd be interested in that recipe too! Never thought of using carrot. I once made a mock apple pie using Ritz Crackers. Looked like apple, tasted like apple! But apple is still better! :p

melanie
October 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
we have mince pies at christmas to, they are also made from fruit and topped with pastry and iceing sugar, they are ok, but not very popular anymore, more so when i was a girl.

i tried pecan pie once, oh it was way to sweet for me i couldnt handle it, but it look so good and neat. pumpkin here is only used as a vegetable, yum baked pumpkin dripping in gravy oh yum, and i love baked pumpkin soup. pumpkins are so cheap here and everywhere, so easy to grow so many ppl do. i got 2 big pumpkins for $3 on the weekend at a road side stall.

often apples for pie here are substituted by choko, an ugly little green vine thing that generally grows on the side of chicken sheds as it like the chook poo. when opened they look a bit like apple flesh but they taste like water. macdonalds here uses it to make their apple pies and it is used in all supermarket pies. but i cnat trick my nephew into eating it he hates it, i totally understand as my own mum used to try and trick me into eating it (oh that and liver, cowgirl meat :eek: ).

oh and that fish pie was just disgusting, my dad loves them but mum would never make us eat them which would always annoy my nana (maybe mums reason for not making us :eek: ), mum hated fish as well, oh and worst of all, nana would include the fish eyes in the pie, ewwwwww.

but i do make a really mean lemon merangue pie, and it is famous in several crowds (mainly my big fat uncles :D :eek: :rolleyes: ):D :D :D

i also like to bake treats for gifts, a nice cake or pie or bikkies or coconut slice, it is just a really nice individual and unique present and you know it wont go to waste :D .

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 06:40 PM
What's a "bikkie" and a "slice"? :confused: Lemon Meringue is my favorite, IF it's made from fresh sour lemons! I like it tart!

melanie
October 6th, 2004, 06:47 PM
god im bad at that, a bit inconsiderate and arogant to, assuming every one knows what i am talking about, sorry i will try and keep that bad habbit in check. :D

a bikkie is a biscuit, and a slice is a type of sticky thick cake mixture that is spread out in a long baking tray and is about 2cm thick, big sugar shot. coconut slice is pink on top and white on bottom, it is a mix of coconut and icing sugar and butter and food color and is pressed into the tin and put into the fridge, then cut up into 2cm square pieces, easy to make and makes a nice little gift, i often buy a nice coffee mug and put a bag of the slice in it, it goes down a real treat. and if someone is not feeling good or a bit sad, i like to make them a cake, it is a bit symbolic of care i reckon, it shows i care and feeding them to help them by, it always gets me a nice big smile from the recepient, and i often bake for ppl who have shown kindness to me jsut to show appreciation.

i make my lemon merangue with very tart lemons, and lots of sugar, so you get a sugar shot, then a sour shot etc. do you have egg merangue on top of yours??

again sorry for stupid word use :eek: :D :p

badger
October 6th, 2004, 06:58 PM
No no, Melanie, we love your Aussie expressions - bit boring for you to have to explain them every time. I'm still laughing about the 'bloody great goanna' in the elevator (lift?). Don't go all flat on us, we love reading your unique posts (not to mention your good heart).

glasslass
October 6th, 2004, 08:52 PM
No! Don't change! I love it too! Sometimes I read your posts aloud to my hubby. Just need a translation once in awhile. ;)

Sneaky2006
October 6th, 2004, 09:18 PM
coconut slice is pink on top and white on bottom, it is a mix of coconut and icing sugar and butter and food color and is pressed into the tin and put into the fridge, then cut up into 2cm square pieces I think we have this candy here (well we call it a candy). It is a layer of pink, white and brown, I think to symbolize vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, although it doesn't taste like that. It just tastes like coconut and sugar, chewy.
If we're talking about the same thing, I have never heard of anyone making it and you don't see it around a lot. I usually can only find it at a bulk candy shop.
If it is the same thing, you've got to give me the recipe, Mel. My husband would go nuts for it. I think he would dance for you! :D

melanie
October 6th, 2004, 10:04 PM
:D yes well sadly i type like i talk and think, and i cant change, yes i do remember the bloody great goanna in the elevator (lift) :D :D a conversation between me and my sister would be very interesting for any one listening i assure you, half the time i dont even know what she is saying :D :D

ah coconut ice, i must admit i use it as a manipulation tool at times, if i want my dad to fix something on my car i just butter him up wht a bit of slice first, he will do anything after that :D :D it is easy to make, really cheap two, following is the recepie

COCONUT ICE
3 cup icing sugar
half cup milk
25g butter
half teaspoon of salt
few drop red food colorinfg (could be any color really)

put icing sugar, milk, butter ,salt into a saucepan. heat gently stiring constantly until all sugar disolves. bring to the boil. do not stir. let mix boil till it is at a soft ball stage*. add coconut. remove mix from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. divide mix in half. add a few drops of red coloring to one portion and beat it until the mix starts to thicken. pour into a buttered tin. beat the white portion until it starts to thicken. spread white mix over the pnk mixture. allow to cool in the fridge and when hard cut into small squares.

*to determine soft ball stage take a glass of cold water, pour sml amount of mix into glass, if mix turns to small balls it is ready, it is like testing toffee.
three quaters a cup of coconut

and that is it, be careful to getthe butter right or else it will just end up melting and sloppy :D

Sneaky2006
October 6th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Sorry! A few questions... what is icing sugar? And how do I figure a g(gram?) of butter... here it comes in tablespoons. 1/4lb sticks.

melanie
October 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM
i think you guys might call icing sugar powdered sugar, it is a fine white powder, often used to make frosting for cakes and is made out of sugar..

i know that 25grams equals 1 ounce if that helps, ounces make up pounds dont they, i think so, but i am strictly a metric girl so double check that. pre metric was not taught to us, they fazed it out at lest 25yrs ago and i have no idea what a foot is, pound or a mile :D :D :D

iRONKNiGHT
October 6th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Well i'll be doing all my Celebrating at "glasslass's (lot's of s's) house in Californial from now on :) wonderfull pictures glasslass :) those pies sure look yummy*

Writing4Fun
October 7th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Sorry! A few questions... what is icing sugar? And how do I figure a g(gram?) of butter... here it comes in tablespoons. 1/4lb sticks.
Ahhh... International diversity. I really do love it! We call it "icing sugar" as well, Mel, in case you're wondering.

Anyone else out there having issues with conversion? This might help...
http://convert.french-property.co.uk/index.htm

Out of curiosity - what do you call Cola-type drinks? Is it soda, or pop, or soda-pop? Originating from Quebec, I always called them "soft drinks". It was a matter for great debate when I first moved here. :rolleyes:

Sorry for wandering a little off-track.

Sneaky2006
October 7th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Ok, so from what I get, 25g of butter is around 2 tablespoons.
And duh, I should've known icing sugar was powdered sugar! :p
Thanks! Now I'm all set!

W4F, here in PA, we call it soda... some places around here call it pop and every time someone asks me if I want a pop, I think to myself why in the world would they be asking if I wanted a popsicle?

melanie
October 7th, 2004, 02:26 AM
glad that worked out, hope your hubby dances for you :D .
we call it soft drink too, isnt that funny. and we call popsicles ice blocks :D

jackieb
October 7th, 2004, 06:06 AM
It took us a while to work out what popsicals were! When we walked home with the lady up the road she said make sur you kids stay on the "sidewalk" and mine went what? When we ask in stores for the toiletr they have pinted us to were they sell them not were you go so we will have to ask for washrooms!! Its quite strange the diffferent words we use yet the same language

debanneball
October 8th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Mel...don't change your words, they make me laugh. We have a 'newfie' neighbour, and one day he was getting a solarium built on the back of his house and was telling me about it. I told my husband that his 'friend' was the builder and his 'friend' at the bank was arranging the financing, so he was okay to go. I didn't know then that 'newfies' call anyone Buddy, and it can be a total stranger too. Whodathought... :confused:

chico2
October 8th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I have to laugh thinking about how confused I was coming from Sweden having to learn all about lbs and ounces and when I finally do,Canada decides to go Metric :D The Metric system is soooo much easier!!
One conversion I'll remember for the rest of my life,Sweden always drove on the"wrong"side of the road,but one day(a long time ago!!) changed to follow most of the world..talk about confusion on the road :D