Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help trying to find out what is wrong with my Maltese puppy please help!!

dblan06
December 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have a Maltese puppy and he was the runt of the litter and his eyes twitch left to right very quickly and his head twitches. He plays and runs and things just like his brother that I also have. I just want to know if this is something that I should be worried about because I took him when nobody else would. Please comment if you know what's going on!!

serenamlambe
December 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hi dblan. I'm not a vet, nor an expert in neurological conditions, but this sounds something like seizure activity or vestibular syndrome to me. How old is your puppy? I would recommend bringing the pup to the vet as soon as you can. If you are able to take a video of the symptoms, that might help the vet make a diagnosis as well. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum who may be able to give you some more information, but I'm positive that they're all going to recommend you taking the pup to the vet as a first step. Just as a side note, I have a epileptic dog and, aside from the seizures, you'd never know there was anything wrong with her. It's a good sign that your pup is playing and running, but there could still be an underlying condition that needs to be addressed :) Good luck and keep us updated!

dblan06
December 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
The puppy is about 2 months and a week... They were born September 29th of this year. The only thing abnormal about him is the twitching. He is just as aggressive and playful as his brother that we have also... The vet told me that it was normally caused by mites or an ear infection and he has neither... He said the only way to truly find out was to get an MRI and that is about 1000$ and we don't have that kind of money to spend... He thinks it may be something messing with his balance mechanism in his head but he wasn't for sure cause he couldn't see that part of his ear but thanks for the information. I just want to know if it will shorten his life or what it will do in the long run

Melinda
December 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM
no one can tell you without the MRI, can you borrow the money from somewhere? make payments to the vet?

serenamlambe
December 6th, 2011, 09:03 AM
It's hard to say what the long-term affect might be, dblan, because it really depends on what is wrong. Without the MRI, the vet won't be able to tell. If it is something that can be fixed, getting the MRI will allow for diagnosis and treatment. I know the difficulty in the cost though. We saved up and put any extra money towards the MRI for our dog. Plus we had to go out of town to get it, rent a car, etc. I really do get how hard this can be. But say it is seizures or something like that, it could get worse and you may end up spending that money on an emergency vet visit. Many vets do offer payment plans for these big procedures. It's something to look into. Good luck!!