Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea treatment, lethargy

Shammy95
October 5th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Hi there,
On Sunday I noticed my 9 year old JRT had fleas. She was actually quite bitten up. I treated her with the once a month for three month treatments. The type you squeeze between the shoulder bladed. Shortly after I noted she was still scratching, so I stupidly used some spray I had used previously. This appeared to stop the scratching in a very short time. However Monday afternoon after getting home from work I noticed she was lethargic. I quickly gave her a bath, which seemed to perk her up. Someone at work advised she will likely improve in 1-2 days as there may have been some form of sedative in the treatment to reduce the stress endured with the fleas. Any ideas.

anniebananie
October 6th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Well, I am taking one of my two dogs to the vet this afternoon for the same sort of reaction. I think it may be from the flea medication - it started around the time I started on the once a month regime. She will go into the garden, then just sort of sit around until I go and CARRY her in. She is an older dog (11 years old) but she has never been like this b4. In between times she seems fine - but huffs and puff a lot. :rolleyes:

anniebananie
October 6th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I forgot to say my dog is a JRT as well :p

Anne

Lucky Rescue
October 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Someone at work advised she will likely improve in 1-2 days as there may have been some form of sedative in the treatment to reduce the stress endured with the fleas.

This is nonsense. Unless your coworker is a vet, please don't take advice on something potentially serious like this.

If you used an over-the-counter spray that has expired, your dog could be reacting to that. I really don't know.

Any sudden changes in behavior like you are seeing (lethargy) should be checked out by your vet.

mastifflover
October 6th, 2004, 11:16 AM
I had the samething happen with a flea collar. I put it on my dog and for the next 2 days she was very lethargic. I called my vet and he told first thing take the collar off and then throw it out. He reccommended a natural flea collar that has eucalyptus in it and no drugs. He said it is very common reaction and even with the natural one he told me to take it out of the package and leave it outside for a day then put it on the dog. He also told me this reaction happens to some dogs on the flea medications as well. So bottom line I would take your dog to the vet because every case is different and it might be as simple as stopping the flea treatments. I would also to deter fleas is use shampoo with essential oil of eucalyptus in it fleas hate it.

anniebananie
October 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I have just got back from the vet with my JRT - and they said the symptoms are not of a flea medication - but almost sure it is to do with the thyroid gland. I now have to wait for the results of some blood work that was done. One of the things that the vet noticed was a greasy coat - plus it's falling out. I would take your JRT to your vet and get her checked out.