Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what do you think of this dogs behavior?

Sew-sew-steve
November 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM
i want to start off by saying hello! i havent been on here in a long time! i hope everyone is doing alright!

now, i watched this video a while back (it is kind of old) and my opinion on it was much different than it is now (since ive learned a bit about dogs), which is that this dog is pretty safe to be around, seriously..

watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHLnjiISsOo&feature=related

tell me what you think, and then i will explain why i think this dog is great! :thumbs up

Winston
November 28th, 2011, 05:31 AM
SSS glad to see you back! I hope things have been well for you!

I enjoyed the video. Dogs are quite amazing arent they? I do think the handler should have been watching his dog a little closer but things happen. I am surprised because an experienced handler would have know that that type of behaviour would have resulted in what happend.

Sure glad there wasnt too much damage to the OP.

Whats new with you SSS? Are you still volunteering?

kitona
November 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Talk about humans failing the dog! Who in their right mind would try to elicit a kiss from a police dog? Who in their right mind would let a complete stranger move in on a police dog in that manner, or any dog for that matter? That poor dog was issuing calming signals like crazy and those two baffoons completely ignored them. No wonder the dog felt like he needed to defend himself against this rude interloper. Sheesh.

Marty11
November 28th, 2011, 09:17 AM
It was very clear the expression and body language that the dog was uncomfortable. He's a lucky man to have escaped with minor injuries. Bad handler I say, he should have seen that coming.

Longblades
November 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
The dog looks anxious and worried long before the bite. This is very poor dog handling. I would forgive a reporter for not knowing any better, In my opinion the handler let down both the dog, for allowing such close interaction and not noticing the dog's obvious discomfort, and the reporter for allowing him to be bitten.

We watched a police dog demonstration in a crowded shopping mall years ago. The MC said they would set up a thief and send the dog after him. A police officer of course, and well padded. When the dog was sent the MC happened to be standing off tp the side a bit but between the dog and the "thief" with his back to the dog.

The dog nailed the unpadded MC from the back, ripping his shirt open and his back and there was lots of blood. The MC, to his immense credit, did not let on he was injured in order to preserve the unit's reputation and give an impression that all was under contrel. Only those of us standing in a certain spot knew it had happened.

In hindsight I think it's probably lucky the dog nailed the MC because the "thief" ran into the watching crowd, separated by only a low, one strand makeshift cord fence and of course all the kids were at the front. That dog could easily have nailed a kid.

The whole thing was a stupid, stupid idea.

Sorry SSS, I digress. To answer your question, I find no fault with the dog. I think that cop and the whole outfit need remedial training and perhaps from someone better able to teach them how to handle and work such a highly trained weapon. I use the word weapon because that dog was handled as carelessly as a gun. The officer would not have let the reporter handle his gun, surely? The dog's response was one that many of our own pets might have offered and is why we often see threads here on how to allow people to approach your dog.

marko
November 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I 100% agree. The handler should have read the dog's body language....which was screaming discomfort. Those ears were CLEARLY moving toward the back of his head which indicates anxiety/potential aggression as far as I know. Handler should have told reporter to back away...and not tower over dog, pet dog on head, stare into dog's eyes......Big errors on the handler's part. I will assume that this dog never did anything like this before...which LED to the handler's error.

Hard to be 100% alert at all times though and this is why accidents happen....also very easy to decipher what happened in a frame by frame video...hindsight is always crystal clear.

Hard to agree with the OP's assertion that "this dog is great" though, when the dog wounded someone. This dog was acting like a dog and people need to understand and respect their body language.

Glad the reporter was not more seriously hurt.

BenMax
November 29th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I think the guestion should be what do we think of the human's behaviour.

You can clearly see the discomfort of the dog from the get go. The licking of the lips, and the ears are clear indication.
This dog reacted as any dog could potentially act.
I bet you 100$ that the reporter and the handler learnt a very important lesson.
In my opinion, the handler is at fault and should have read the queues way before the contact bite.
Also, how many times have we told children not to pat a dog on the top of the head. That should have been his first conversation with the reporter.

Anyways, glad that the bite was not too severe. I bet the officer and the reporter have a new found respect for this dog.