Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

adopting south of the border

raingirl
October 5th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Anyone ever done this? I'm finding that there are a lot more of the dogs I am looking for south of the border.

Problem is, I don't have a car.

What would be the options of getting a dog up here? What does it cost? What kinds of papers are needed to bring it across the border?

The closest border crossing to me would be at Niagara Falls. (too bad they closed down that ferry from Toronto to Rochester!!)

LL1
October 5th, 2004, 10:33 AM
There are tons of dogs in rescues and shelters in Ontario. What responses did you get from the rescues here?

Craig
October 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM
For driving, the only thing a dog needs is it's Rabies certificate.

For flying, they need proof of all shots, a health certificate plus a paper from the vet saying what the lowest temp. the dog can be exposed to. Flying can be very expensive (approx. $300 American for a 50-ish pound dog + crate) and there have been some horror stories of dogs being injured or worse during flight. We had to do the flight option once and THANKFULLY everything went smoothly.

Just a word about rescues that adopt out-of-state/province/country. They should want a somebody (from a rescue in your area) to do a homecheck and not just be willing to throw the dog into transport. Most breed specific rescues have contacts in various areas so that people are able to save a life and adopt their desired breed as opposed to buying, so it's usually not a problem. Hope that helps.

Craig

raingirl
October 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
We have been looking for 3 months and haven't found any of the breeds recommended for our living situation. We are looking for a small to medium short hair breed. I know that really limits us, but we live in an apartment so a large breed is kinda out of the question (unless you can suggest one that's good for apartments?). The only "large" breed we know are good for apartments (and I say "large" because it's an understatement) is the great dane, because aparently they are great just sitting around all day.

We applied for a bulldog, but didn't hear back (we assume he got adopted out to someone else). I have inquired about a few other dogs, but often they are adopted already or the people advise me they won't give them to us because of our living situation (apartment and gone for 10 hours a day).

We also need a dog that is a little older, already house trained, and doesn't have too many "issues" because we are first time owners. We were told boxers would be great for us, except they need experienced dog owners.

99% of the dogs on petfinder aren't suitable for use. Either they are too large, not good alone, or have training issues.

We don't have any doggy day cares in our area, and no dog walkers either.

A lot of the rescues are turning their noses up at us because we will be gone all day. From what I know, as long as they get enough attention an excersise, it's all ok right?

We plan on walking them in the morning (which will be before 6 AM...ug..), leave for work at 7, back home by 5:20 at the latest, do the "ignore them for 15 minutes" so we don't get any separations anxiety issues, then...??? I know some breeds you feed 3 times a day, some 2. I guess if they needed to be fed then, that's when we would do it. Feed ourselves at the same time, then out for a nice long walk. Back home. Rest up a bit, play some games, then out once more before bed. Does this make sense?

Sorry, I know this is long, but I wanted to cover all my bases.

I've filled out applications at a dozen rescues so far no responses. I found a nice looking pup today, but they don't transport the pets, and because it's way up North, and I don't have a car, I didn't even bother applying. It seems when I do find one that might suit us, something gets in the way.

Another barrier, and I know some people will probably think this is odd, but I can't make long distance calls on my phone (I only have a cell). That also limits what we can do because if the foster or rescue is out of the 416/905 area code, and they don't have e-mail, I can't get in contact with them.

Ok..off my soapbox now....

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I think I recommended a greyhound to you?

An adult greyhound is a quiet housedog. They are not used to getting attention, so would be better suited for a long lonely day than many other dogs.

They are not known for barking and need no more exercise than most average dogs, with a good run once or twice a week.

Rescues turn down people because they want their animals to have the best chance of a permanent home. They may have experience adopting dogs to people in apartments, only to have the dog returned because of barking, chewing or other problems associated with leaving a dog alone for 10 hours a day.

And please think of this: Taking a dog out before you leave the house is quite pleasant in the summer/spring and even early fall. In the bitter winter, you'll have to get up, dress your dog in coat and boots and get out of the house while it's dark and freezing so your dog can do it's business and get a little exercise before you leave. It's very unpleasant.:(

And of course, the minute you come home you must take the dog out. NO time to unwind! ;)

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I'm not being critical, but I can't help but feel sorry for the dog who must wait 10 hours to "do their business". That's a long time to wait. I wouldn't want to have to do it and probably couldn't without a great deal of discomfort. I also work during the day. My dog has a doggie door to go out at will. You might consider a cat instead. They are loving and can be kept indoors and don't bark.

raingirl
October 5th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info. We have been looking for greyhounds, but all the ones we have seen in rescues have been adopted by the time we inquired. They are on our list of hopefulls.

Cats aren't possible as I am allergic. It kinda sucks, I know how much easier a cat would be.

Do you actually put coats and booties on your animals everytime? I never see dogs with them. I wouldn't mind doing it though. I don't mind getting up early, since I have to anyway to go to work. I don't mind the cold either.

I know it's not the best situation in the world to have the dog alone that long, but I can't seem to get it less than 10 hours. Leave the house at 7 AM. My train leaves at 7:28 AM, into work by 8 am, done work at 4 pm, train at 4:15PM, home by 5:20PM.

Lucky Rescue
October 5th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Many short haired, single coated dogs cannot tolerate the coldest part of our winters. I have to put a coat and boots on my dog every time we go out if there is ice or snow or the temp is way below freezing.
Greyhounds, boxers, bulldogs, many small sized dogs, etc are among those who can't take the cold without protection.

We had a dog for 9 years when we were out of the house for 10 hours a day. We only took him because he was headed for death at the SPCA. I wouldn't have gone out and gotten a dog under those circumstances. Our dog was 5, housetrained and very well behaved when we took him in, but I always felt guilty about the situation, even though lying around a comfortable house was better than dying. I HATED getting up so early all winter and taking him out in the morning. It was awful. :eek:

mastifflover
October 5th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Buddy is usually home for 10 hours. I do feel bad but he is big and does not seem to be bothered by it at all. When I am working on a film ( some days are 14-16 hours)I usually do 1/2 day doggy daycare, I find it is cheaper for 5 hours of fun and exercise and he is really tired when he gets home. Luckily Budy does not have to have boots I don't think they would make his size anyhow. But I do have a fleece for him in the really cold weather or wet icy snow he is not thrilled about this coat thing and always gives me the look that says I am so embarrassed this is for small dogs. Buddys fleece is from the mens department and customized for him and his parts. As long as your dog has lots to keep him occupied during the day even though most tend to sleep when we are not there it should be fine. Stuff akong this keeps them busy for hours and on the Kong site they have recipes for stuffings. My normal routine up at 6 out for a walk till 7:00 home to change and shower off to work back home by 7 and change into sweats and out for at least an hour if it is nice sometimes as long as 2.5-3 hours. Home, cuddles and hanging out with the big guy and then a treat or two. I think you should be fine by the way Buddy is 160 pounds and smaller in height than a Great Dane but longer and we live in a small loft. Big dogs by the most part are big couch potatos.

jackieb
October 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM
we had our mastiff and we were both working i however worked near and took him out at lunch and my husband did shift work then. When i gave up work to have my children (maternity pay in england is poor) i was at home most of the time although i walked him regulaly he was quite happy to lie around and do nothing. When we bought our mastiff the guy who breed them said once his had enough of a walk they would just stop!! So some breeds of big dogs can be couch potatoes too but they do cost more to look after well!! I would do some research into different breeds to see which suits your lifestyle better.

Shaykeija
October 6th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Try petfinder.com. I look in there every day. The always have at least 75 dogs in the small size. Just look on the left hand side, you can access all sizes of dogs in ontario that need good homes. i hope you find a furbaby that needs a good home. ;)

Cinnabear
October 6th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Are you on a list? Greyhounds have lists. Sometimes it just takes awhile before the right dog comes along.

raingirl
October 6th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replys everyone. I'm on several waiting lists now....I guess it's just wait and see now.

On petfinder I never see that many small dogs?? I do an advanced search, sometimes "regional" sometimes "expanded", and there are usualy only about 10 small dogs (most of which are poodles or bichons or lhasa apsos, which I am not really interested in). Maybe I'm searching wrong??

I guess it's just a waiting thing them.

So, if something pops up in the USA, and if we are driving it back over the border, all we need is proof of rabies vaccination?

yvonnem
October 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM
here is the website for bringing pets into Canada:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogse.shtml

There are different sets of procedures depending on:

First: does the dog come from a rabies-free country? They have a list. United States is NOT rabies-free.

Then pick your age group:

pet dogs 8 months or younger
pet dogs 3 months or older from a country with rabies (U.S. eg)

This is the regulation for pet dogs 3 months or older

Dogs may enter Canada if accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued, in either English or French, by a licensed veterinarian(2), which clearly identifies the dogs and shows that they are currently vaccinated against rabies. This certificate should identify the animal, as in breed, colour, weight, etc., plus indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), serial number and duration of validity (up to 3 years). Please note that if a validity date does not appear on the certificate, then it will be considered a one year vaccine.
We do not impose a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

2.2 If the provisions of 2.1 are not met, an inspector will order the owner to have the animals vaccinated for rabies within a period of time specified in the order and to provide the vaccination certificate to an inspector, all at the owner's expense.
Note: Rabies vaccination or certification is not required if the dogs are less than three (3) months of age.

(1) An official government veterinarian is a veterinarian who works for the government veterinary service in the country of origin.
(2) A licensed veterinarian is a veterinarian who is licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the country of origin.

Based on my experiences with the government, these are the points to make sure you follow:
on the rabies certificate, make sure the vet puts all the things that the inspector is looking for - breed, colour, weight, sex, identifying marks, tattoos, scars, 3 white toes on left hind foot, etc. Make sure that the dog is described as accurately as possible.

Make sure the vet puts the name of the vaccine, the serial number and the duration. Don't assume that the vet knows any of this stuff. If possible, print off the web page with the info so you can give it to the vet.

Yvonne