Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does BSL protect the dogs?

Myka
November 22nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
As you can see in my signature I'm an avid bully breed owner, and I love the breed type to bits. I have always been anti-BSL. I am so, so tired and sad from seeing so many abused bullies out there. It seems there are many more abused bullies than other breeds. I see so much "let's go save them all" charities and rescues, but what is being done to prevent the dogs from getting into bad situations to begin with? There is persecution, but that's hardly a deterrent it seems. :(

I feel BSL is really lacking, but maybe BSL would help to protect these beautiful dogs? Maybe an inability to obtain them would be the best protection we could give them? Maybe a happy medium would be the best bet? Maybe bullies should require a special permit for ownership? Maybe bullies shouldn't be owned by people with a criminal record?

What do you guys think? What can we do to help them instead of "just" saving them?

marko
November 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
This is SUCH a tough one Myka.
I kind of see where you are going with this...

I think you are suggesting that if there were BSL, these dogs would suffer less because they would be "protected".

I disagree with this logic though because the problem isn't with the breed...the problem is
1 - stupid aggressive people that want their dogs aggressive
2 - The media that publicizes every pit pull tragedy as though it were the OJ Simpson trial...EVEN THOUGH in most cities other breeds account for greater bite frequencies and fatalities.

The answer here is education and possibly some regulation. A pit Bull ban that makes pitbulls unavailable quickly allows loser dog owners to own and mistreat another breed for aggressive reasons.

Until then...I know a few places that simply won't adopt out pitbulls to people that they deem suspicious (meaning they seem like they want a watchdog instead of a family pet).

I wish i had better answers.

Myka
November 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Marko, I can't disagree with you, that's my view on it as well. Although I don't think education is the answer at all.

It's the dog fighting and bait dog abuse that really bothers me. Plus the tendency for losers to be attracted to bully breeds. You could say well if they don't have bully breeds they will move onto other breeds, but you won't see some thug walking around with Poodle would you? Maybe they would move onto Labs or something like that...who knows, we have to start somewhere, no?

BSL stands for Breed-Specific Legislation, which is usually expected to be breed-specific banning. However, I think BSL should mean exactly what it says; breed-specific laws put in place to protect the dogs from abusive owners. This could include banning convicted criminals from owning dogs included in the BSL. It could also require specific permits for owning such dogs, which could require approved obedience classes (to train the owner haha).

Digston
November 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I agree with the permit idea. It is so frustrating for me to go to the dog parks and see the wrong people with pitties, any bully breed really (Yesterday it was an unruly AmStaff). They are amazing breeds and I'd hate to see them disappear.

I am a firm believer of "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners". Thats what the laws need to focus on to fix these issues.

Working with animals daily I have come across more aggressive Chihuhahua's then any other breed and I don't hear anyone calling out for a ban on them.

Myka
December 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
I think there are some bad dogs, just like there are some bad people. I think "product of the upbringing" plays a role in most of the dogs that I think have been made into bad dogs, but I also think that some dogs are just a bit off and nothing could help that (same as people lol). I don't think any particular breeds are more prone, but poor breeding in itself is probably a factor.

I have a Chihuahua that was quite fear aggressive and yappy a couple years ago, but he's a lot better since I have been working with him lots. He would be very different if he was socialized and trained as puppy.

The reason that there is no ban on Chihuahuas for example is because they can't do much damage. Peewee has bitten me numerous times (not in the last year or so though), and even though he was trying his heart out to kill me he never broke the skin. If he was bigger he would have been very physically threatening.

chico2
December 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Myka,the Cocker,Bailey whom we have walked every day for six years,growls at everybody we meet,people or other dogs.
I am never sure if she would bite or not,so I cannot allow anyone to pet her...

Like your average Canadian,years ago I believed Pit-Bulls were killers,much due to the media.
Having watch several shows,such as Pit-Bulls and Parolees,Cesar Milan and many others,or even our own luvmypitgirls,I have learned much about PB and am totally against BSL,but how do you change peoples perception of Pit-Bulls?.
Anyone I have spoken to,would not even try to understand the injustice in BSL.:(