Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet Removing baby teeth

moontamara
October 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Does that sound necessary? All of Casey's teeth seem to be coming out fine, but now when I left him to get neutered (poor little guy) the vet said he's going to take out his remaining baby teeth at the same time. Ouch! I can see with one of his canines as it doesn't look like it's going to budge, but what about the molars? One came out just yesterday! He said that it's a good chance to do it, since he'll be medicated for the other surgery and he'll have to take some oral drugs (to prevent infection, I'm guessing) after this surgery anyway... So I guess I was convinced. Does this sound normal to you guys?

Writing4Fun
October 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM
I have never heard of a vet doing this. :confused: Then again, I've only been solely responsible for 2 dogs in my life, and they both had lost most of their baby teeth by the time they were spayed.

Shaykeija
October 5th, 2004, 12:25 AM
One of my dogs had to have two baby teeth removed. Don't worry, it's not that uncommon.

Writing4Fun
October 5th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Shaykeija, was there a problem with the teeth that they had to be removed? That would be ok. But to remove them just because they're there and the pup will be under an anaesthetic (sp?) anyway - that doesn't sound right to me. :confused:

moontamara
October 5th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Well, they're gone now, as are his cute little gonads! Two of the teeth definitely needed to be pulled -- the roots were extremely long, but the molars were obviously on the way out anyway. Oh well... the vet knows more than me, I guess! Casey doesn't seem to mind his mouth, but he's very uncomfortable about his stitches. I feel very sorry for him -- can't even lick his balls (or lack of balls) without me saying, "No, no, no, no!" No positive reinforcement will work for this one, although when he's obviously doing his best to endure, I praise him (but no treats until 3 hours hours from now). Oh the little dear is trying to fall asleep -- exactly what I do when I have a migraine. What a sweetie...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Shaykeija
October 5th, 2004, 12:56 AM
no serious problem. My vet said they had a chance of going bad and the adult teeth were coming in in front so when she was spayed they just pulled the two teeth out. My vet said it was no big deal. I kept the baby teeth. :rolleyes:

moontamara
October 5th, 2004, 12:59 AM
I've kept the baby teeth I've found, but I left those ones at the vet's office -- too much blood for me :o !

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Poor little Casey! I missed this thread, so I'm a little late. When Den-Den #3 was neutered at 7 months, the vet pulled his last 2 remaining teeth, his canines. Both of the adult teeth were coming in above them and they weren't budging. After they were pulled, the adult teeth moved down into place and were fine. So now I'm even more amazed at little Casey. He did a precision job of removing the stitches - even without all his teeth! What a trooper! :D

moontamara
October 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Yep, he's a little trooper!

I'll try to pass the compliment on to him!

He seems flattered...

:D

melanie
October 11th, 2004, 07:48 PM
what did he get from the tooth fairy?? :D

give him my condolences for the loss of his gonads, must be hard on a fella :D

hey i didnt even notice my dogs baby teeth (a long time ago), i suppose they just did their own thing..

although my girl has a few broken teeth, the vets have all agreed not to worry about them, apparently dogs can snap a tooth in half and not feel it, it is a natural precaution for them as they often break teeth in the wild on bones and what not. but they cna feel some, but they have poked and prodded her teeth and she does not care, the vet said he wont remove them as he thinks it wuold be unessary, stressful and pointless. and she is happy

but when she smiles she looks liek a pirate dog :D :D and with only half a tounge (dogs can adapt to anything), it is the funniest sight, and her remaining tounge is full of holes (her teeth stick through :p ) and is square on one side, ppl think we are just crazy and a total nuts, but as long as she is happy i dont care. she is the happy little pirate.

and there are dentist vets appearing all over the place here, just imagine, not only a vet bill but one for your vet dentist for pooches braces :eek: :D

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Mel, you've got me laughing again! A dentist friend of mine has a border collie. While watching TV, they sit together and he cleans her teeth. She just sits there and enjoys it!!!