Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blood in poop! Poisoning or worms/parasites?

halabeirouty
November 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hello,
So I've had my cat for about 3 years now since he was a kitten, his name is Pearly. A few months ago we gave him away to a friend who is a vet, who gave him away to a cat farm. About a week ago, we got him back and he seemed to be happy. However, when we introduced him to the litter box, he ignored it and when it was time for him to poop, he did it some place elsewhere rather than the litter box, although he knew to urinate in the box. This continued through the week. We also found drops of blood in his poop, and figured it would be caused by worms. We gave him deworming pills but this didn't seem to work. Today I took him to a different vet and he told me that he may have poisoning. He also told me that the color of his pupils are lighter than what they should be and are dilated, and he has mild gum infection. He injected him with antihistamine and told me to bring him back tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I trust the vet completely, since it is the first time we take Pearly there. I apologize for the very long paragraph but i wanted to give as many details as i can to get a more accurate answer. So can you give me any ideas on what this could be? And if Pearly's pooping out of the litter box is because he is sick? Thanks in advance!

Winston
November 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the site.

I would imagine your poor cat has been through alot lately. Being given away then moved to a farm and now back to you...thats alot for a cat. Cats are very sensitive. I also think that the litter box problem is something you will have to teach him to use again. If he was dropped off at a farm he possibly could have had the freedom to go when he wanted and where he wanted.

What does the vet think poisoned him? Do you know what the shot was? Did they take a stool sample or any other blood work / tests?

Can I ask why he was given away?

halabeirouty
November 19th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah I do know cats are sensitive, and I am upset that my cat had to go through all of this. We had to give him away cause we were not able to give him full attention and care due to personal family reasons at the time. But now we are trying our best to keep him happy and give him the attention he needs.

I'm just confused about the litter box problem because he urinates in it and clearly that shows that he knows what it is and how to use it. But when he passes solid waste, he decides to do it elsewhere. I'm just not sure why.

The vet told me it could have been some sort of cleaning agent that he came across or anything of the sort, but I am 10000% sure that it wasn't in my house. I'm wondering if it happened while he was at the cat farm, but I can never be sure. He didn't take a stool sample but he did tell me that is going to take a blood test. Should I bring him a sample of the stool and blood droplets for further testing as well?

Winston
November 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Does he give you a sign when he is going to go outside the box or does he hide it? You could try confining him to a bathroom with food and litter and see if he will do it while confined to the room. You could also pick him up a couple of times and place him in the litter box to remind him.

Also where is his litter box? Is there any privacy? Is it a new box? Is it covered? if so try taking the cover off of it as well. Is the litter box in an area thats quiet fro distractions? Cats are so funny with this kind of issue?

Yes I would reccomend a stool sample being checked especially if he was allowed to roam while at the farm. He could have worms, parasites or any number of things. It certainly couldnt hurt anyway?

You could also try changing the litter to something like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751734

Cindy

Koteburo
November 19th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Have you checked around his anal area it could also be an injure that causes the bleeding.
Also in the farm and since he used to be a house cat first he got in touch with a lot of new things and animals so it could be parasites.
Have you had the stool analyzed?

Poor Pearly good thing he's back home he has gone through a lot of tough adventures and he maybe got something on the way.

halabeirouty
November 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
At times he does give us signs, like meowing or scratching at the area right before he excretes, but sometimes he does it silently. The litter box is definitely in a dark and private place, not a lot of distractions and noises, and it's not a covered box. but it is pretty new, so maybe that's a problem. We have picked him up and placed him in the litter and moved his paw in a digging motion. he sniffs the litter and jumps out of it. If this continues I will try the confining him to a bathroom idea and see what happens there.

His anal area was checked by the vet. clean and not injured so that leaves it to something internal. Not completely sure if it's parasites or worms, and the stool wasn't analyzed but I will definitely bring a sample to the vet.

Thank you guys for the help! :)

Winston
November 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I would wait and see what the vet thinks tomorrow before confining him. It may be too stressful on him right now. He has had so many changes in his life lately??

If he gives you signs then immediately take him to the box.

You could also try if he poops outside the box to place the poop in the litter and cover it. Then he may understand thats where it should be??

Good Luck tomorrow and I hope you get a diagnosis...

sugarcatmom
November 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
You might also want to get another couple of litter boxes, as some cats don't like to urinate and defecate in the same box. But that doesn't explain the blood or his other issues. Perhaps he was constipated or had diarrhea and he now associates the litter box with painful or uncomfortable pooping. Another reason to get a second or third box.

What does Pearly eat? Diet can play a big role in intestinal health and may be a contributing factor in his case.