Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

farmer kills little girls dog- unbelievable

melanie
October 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM
ok over here in the country there is an unspoken rule that if your dog is found on a farm near cattle it is fair game, if the farmer finds it it will be shot, simple and the law will uphold the farmers rights against your trespassing dog.

so the other day at my neices day care a little girl came over to me distresed and said 'my dog died' i told her it was sad and what not, the day care lady said it was all the girl would talk about, she was very upset.. so this is how the dog died,

every day this dog who was 5yrs old would walk down to the corner to the service station, the attendant would give the dog a sausage and a pat and then the dog would go back home, it was doing it rounds so to speak and had done this for years. the dog lives in a small town where every one knew her and no one bothered her, she was fine.. last week she did not come home, the mother wnet the ther service station and the attendant was worried that he had not seen the dog that day. the mother searched all night for the dog but to no avail.

the next morning the phon rings and the mother answers, a voice on the other end of the phone said

'i shot your dog and dumped it at the rubbish dump' then they hung up. UNBELIEVABLE.

the mother could not recognise the voice but the caller obvioulsy knows her and the dog. they told the little girl it got hit by a car. this is just unbelievable, the dog had never gone onto any properties at all, just went to the shop and stright back, what a mongrel of a farmer.

it is just a perfect example of many ppls attitudes to domesticated animals around here, poor girl and her best friend. and it has happened to a few ppl i know. im totally sick of it, the worry if your animal happens to get out, it makes me so sick.

i never let my dog near cattle by the way, she has been threatened by farmers before for things i could prove she never did, but lucky i was there to defend her and prove her case and she was in our yard other wise she would have been shot. no question asked. just totally unbelievable.

had to share, made me very angry and i wanted to show you a side of the ppl round these parts. :mad:

Bugsy
October 4th, 2004, 07:08 PM
The fact that he would gloat about it, like he was proud!
!@#$@#$% :mad:

I hope the dog haunts him... ;)

Writing4Fun
October 4th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I hope the dog haunts him... ;)
I second that motion!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that here, too, if your dog is caught worrying livestock, the farmer is within his rights to shoot it. Not that it's much of a problem anymore, the way farm land is being gobbled up by developers. :mad:

Iggette
October 5th, 2004, 08:16 AM
OMG that is terrible the poor little girl.....and this post also puts me into a state of panic.......

Buddy is a little unpredictable at times....98% of the time he stays put on our property, he is either tied up at his dog house, on a leash walking around the property or on very few occasions (less and less) just out for a quick pee with ursa no leash he tends to stick with her when they are out together so all is ok.
Well one time he was out in the am about a month or so ago for a piddle.......I saw him run around the back of the barn.....he does this often then returns a few seconds later (basically he's running to where we normally walk him around the barn) but this time he didnt come back I waited a few minutes.....no Buddy, so I went around the property yelling for him for about 20 minutes to no avail......so I decided to go back to the house and get changed (was in my PJ's) and go out in the car.
Just as I was getting ready my son yelled upstairs "don't worry he just came back"......relieved I came downstairs to a very tuckered out Buddy......so I thought "Alls well that ends well"
About 15 minutes later a knock came at the door, it was a farmer from down the street asking if we had a tall lanky dog (just then Buddy came to see who was at the door and peeked around the corner) he pointed his finger at Buddy and said "thats him!"

He told us of how buddy came over and chased around his cows for about 5 minutes then followed him into town in his truck when he noticed Buddy had followed him he tried to coax him to follow back too. ( and I was thinking how nice of him) He did but just kept going past his farm in our direction (back home). He said I should keep an eye on him as he is "MAPPING HIS TERRITORY" :eek:

I didn't think much of it as I know Buddy loves to run and play which is probably what he wanted those big honkin dogs to do with him (the cows....lol)

After reading your post it made me think of what the farmer said MAPPING HIS TERRITORY like he was a wolf looking to see what the eats in his neighbourhood were.

I know you can never predict what an animal will do but if it was food that Buddy was after he could very well have a goose or two right in his own yard even a rooster or a chicken but he is a coward he runs away from the geese (I don't blame him they are nasty) they taunt him all the time they go in his circle around the dog house and Buddy just backs up into a corner.

I'm thinking seriously about making a flyer and handing it out to my neighbours to tell them of Buddy disposition, name and temperment so that they know he means no harm and they can call me if this ever happens again. I would hate to think that the farmer would kill my dog :( but who knows

GsdDiamond
October 5th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Makes a person sorry to belong to the human race. Perhaps we could stop the plant, lower gravity (just for a minute) and give this guy a little push. Off he goes to see if the moon is really made of cheese.

Something similar happened to a person I used to associate with. She had a dog who was ancient (crippled with arthritis & could barely walk). They brought the dog to the lake, like they had done for years, and let the dog meander over to the water's edge. He was the most adorable dog. He'd slowly (key word here) walk up to you (tail wagging) and look for a pet.
One day some guy shot the dog. The owner was devastated. I think the dog was about 15 or so (large breed too!). The guy's excuse? The dog was charging him and was about to bite him. Can you believe that? Even if the dog was running to him, he could have easily moved 3 steps over and the dog wouldn't have been able to compensate. Needless to say, the lake community being as they are, all called the RCMP and ratted the guy out. I don't know what ever came of him, but there were charges of animal cruelty.

melanie
October 5th, 2004, 04:42 PM
quote'I'm thinking seriously about making a flyer and handing it out to my neighbours to tell them of Buddy disposition, name and temperment so that they know he means no harm and they can call me if this ever happens again. I would hate to think that the farmer would kill my dog but who knows'

i would not reccomend doing that. because in a sense you are telling your neighbors he might wander and you never know who is looking out to get him. i do understand the $ value of cattle but still, if the dog does not kill it well it is doing nothing wrong.

it just really sucks. and it makes me edgy whenever were on a farm. she has been accused of killing a cow once, but at the time of the killing she was in my bed with me. the farmers kept saying it was her and that i owed them $3000 for the cattle, i told them to get good lawyers if they wanted to persue their claim. well what od you know, it turned out to be dogs from across the river that were swimming across at night and killing cattle. but because my dog is big, well she was naturally to blame, monsters.

a friend of mine once had a dog that wandered to a girl dogs house often. to get there he had to cross a farmers paddock. one day my frined ran after him when he left to get him to come back, she reached the properties fence lines only to hear the shot gun, the farmer was sitting on the fence waiting for the dog. :mad:

i never let my girl out of my site, and if i ever caught her chasing cattle that would be my one and only reason for really kicking her butt, it is a big no. and she knows it. i do not trust farmers around my dog at all.

1,000,000,000 bad karma points to the mongrel that broke that little girls heart :mad:

pug lover
October 5th, 2004, 05:28 PM
at least you go a call about where your dog was and they didn't leave you wondering and hoping

glasslass
October 5th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I'm beginning to feel like nothing surprises me anymore, except for the cruel things that people do! :mad: