Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jarrah's such a good girl.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Jarrah has been having some new experiences and I just have to say I am very pleased with her. Coming as a 2 year old out of a backyard I wouldn't expect her to be good with livestock, however I decided to take her along when putting my bottle fed lambs away and she merely acted happy to be with them, not excited, then when I introduced her to our pony stallion all she did was lick him on the nose. :thumbs up Wanted to lick my ewes on the nose too when she met them through a gate, which is pretty good for a cattle dog, Perkins for instance would always have tried to nip.
Her latest job is helping us calm down a friend's very reactive GSD. He was put in a boarding kennel as a youngish pup and after days of dogs barking at him is not prepared to trust any bar her little Shih Tzu. He was so wound up he didn't even realise Jarrah is a female close to being in season, he would just continuously lunge and bark at her. They've had only 3 meetings and while he still lapses back into attack mode occassionally my friend has got him focusing on her very well due to daily training and I think Jarrah's unflappable behaviour is working its magic too. He is much more relaxed for the majority of their get togethers. Doesn't matter what he throws at her, Jarrah just wants to play, or she ignores him. We had a nice quiet walk down the road today, no nonsense. He's a lovely boy, I think we'd adopt him if she ever decided she didn't want him. :D

hazelrunpack
November 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
She's sounds like a real gem, GF! :lovestruck: We need pics of her licking noses, pls. :D

Goldfields
November 16th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'll try, but don't hold your breath. LOL. She's shaping up as the perfect dog for us, except for her flat out zoomies and not knowing quite what she wants to do to my Persian cat. She might want to lick it too. (I wish!)

Dog Dancer
November 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
She sounds delightful. I'm so glad things are working out well with her around the other animals.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
It's a relief, DD. Every animal here deserves a quiet life. If she'd been mad keen to bite stock I had a friend very keen to have her (another suburban backyard home), but no way known, we'd have coped somehow, but so easy this way, with her wanting to be friends with or mother every animal she meets.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here's our girl seeing eye to eye with my stallion, Digby, our old bay mare, and finally the sheep. She was very funny actually, it was like, "Oi! I've seen these before, show me something new", not that interested. :)

hazelrunpack
November 17th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Very cute! The horses seem to kinda like her! The sheep look cautious, though. :D

Melinda
November 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM
oh I love the pictures, the sheep look like "well, now what have we here?"

Goldfields
November 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hazel, Digby is the funniest pony, he adores our orphan lambs and even thinks bees are his friends. In hot weather he'll stand with his head in a cloud of bees at his water trough, with a dozy look on his face as if he really thinks they are his friends. :D I don't know that I'd trust him not to hurt Jarrah if she was in his yard, but then "Wrinkles", the merino ewe lamb, got in with him and he was fine. By the way, Wrinkles inherited the name of the little ram lamb we couldn't save, and as you'll see below, it's appropriate.
Unfortunately sheep haven't a way to protect themselves against dogs. A Kelpie(sheep dog) attacked a ewe of ours that we had on a block in town and she was badly bitten in the face, so even trying to butt the dog is no deterrant. Sheep don't know that saying, curiosity killed the cat, Melinda, you can see in the second shot that if the gate was open they'd have followed Jarrah. :laughing:

kdog
November 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
So great to hear that everyone is getting along!

Goldfields
November 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks, kdog. I've been meaning to put in an update on Jarrah and the GSD, Archie. They have now touched noses, he's got her scent and is certainly mellowing, for instance my sister had her 4 month old GSD pup, Sally, here for a couple of days and he decided(I think) that maybe he should protect Jarrah, going into attack mode towards the pup. He gave Sally a couple of frights but she bounced back, trying to tease him into a game. I think that was working too but my sister wasn't taking any risks. Anyway, we went for a nice walk in the forest opposite this place and Jarrah and Archie were strolling along quite calmly, fairly close together on the way home. Lovely to see the dog relaxing and learning to trust Jarrah.
Oh, my sooky baby, Jarrah, I've found has a great love of stuffed toys, she pinched Sally's teddy so I gave her a lary looking platypus of her own. :D

serenamlambe
November 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Wow, Jarrah really is a good girl! I would love to have a calm one around like her to introduce to my Terrier/Poodle mix. He's very sweet indoors and with dogs he already knows but, since we've gotten him a "sister," he's decided he doesn't need or want anymore friends! Oh my. What a character.

Having all those animals around must be such a joy! Those sheep in the last picture really do look like trying to find an opening in the fence though! Hahah. Silly sheep.

Goldfields
November 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I'm sure your boy would get on fine with Jarrah, Serena. I am not saying that Archie will be good with other dogs but Jarrah is a clown, and Jarrah is a tart, and Jarrah would rather play than fight, so at least he has one more friend. She may help him settle down over at Obedience, we won't know till it starts up again next year.
The animals are nice and sheep are a lot smarter than you think. They're great fun except when things go wrong, and we've had a bad year unfortunately, losing a ewe, a couple of lambs, and having one lamb break its leg badly, and another get a torsion (twisted gut) twice. Those last two lambs are okay now but they certainly gave me a few more grey hairs.

serenamlambe
November 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Oh my goodness, what a sin! I'm sorry about your animals, but glad the last two lambs are alright. My Dad's cousin owns a sheep farm, but I've never been able to spend any time there due to my wool allergy. I went there once - and left with a great set of hives and the inability to breathe :P Silly too, given my last name is Lambe!! Hahah.

Goldfields
November 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
You're the first person I've known of who is allergic to wool, Serena, that could be inconvenient for you. Do you get hives when friends wear wool or is it only caused by direct contact ? Must be scary. A friend's daughter here is allergic to dogs and will scratch her arms raw if she's near them for too long. Made me appreciate the law here of no dogs or cats allowed in Hotels or Motels etc.. The next person in your Motel room could have an allergy like hers.

serenamlambe
December 1st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah, allergies are always a nuisance. I usually only get hives from direct contact, but the breathing trouble starts when I'm near wool for too long. Once I was taking a first aid course and feeling really miserable the whole time... Until I realized they had wool blankeys in the room to prop up the heads of the CPR dummies. I had to ask if they'd remove them. After about an hour, I felt a lot better. I think it's the fibers that get into the air the irritate me. It's a pain to get warm coats in the winter and such, since I have to stay away from wool. And when we stay with family, I always have to explain why I can't have wool blankets. They're so common. And once they've been in the bed, I need to change the sheets or I'll be miserable the next day. But it's not as bad as your friend's daughter. I can't imagine being that allergic to something. Especially dogs because my dogs are my babies!! I have a friend who gets migranes everytime she is around perfume. It's so hard for her on public transport and public places since the scents are not regulated there like they are in a lot of workplaces, hospitals, etc.

Goldfields
December 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Goodness, we(meaning people without allergies) don't know how lucky we are. Fortunately my friend's daughter isn't allergic to cats or horses, two of her passions. What do hives feel like, are they itchy or sore? I am curious because one of my cattle dogs once got hives and she looked pretty miserable. Raced her off to the vet at midnight, only to find she was perfectly normal when we arrived. (A half hour trip) . I knew it was either a new fly spray or a disinfectant she was allergic to and the vet wanted me to test which it was but I didn't, I just never used them again.

serenamlambe
December 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
What a strange suggestion from the vet! I would have done the same thing; just stop using both products. Oh my.

In my experience, hives are mostly just itchy and irritating. But, of course, if you scratch at them, they turn sore and scabby. Otherwise, they just disappear with time and Benadryl! Your poor dog, she probably didn't know not to scratch!

Goldfields
December 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM
She was a blue cattle dog, Serena, and you could see the hives through the hair on her face. Her ears were swollen, and as I said, she looked miserable. The same girl was allergic to preservative in a certain brand of tinned dog food. When fed it she would act like she was seeing pink elephants, she'd be hiding under the table, staring big eyed out into the hall, prepared to bite if you tried to get her out. The minute I changed her diet she was back to normal.

Now, major breakthrough for Archie today. He now knows Jarrah is a girl, Jarrah smells great, Jarrah loves to play and they finally made contact, albeit still on their leads. He did greet her like a psycho Shepherd at the start but we figure it's the sound of my shelties barking inside that gets him revved up. By the time we walked a mile he was fine and the day only got better for him. Back here later for a cool drink, then a game of chasey with Ben's old Wiggle Giggle ball, followed by a game through the fence with Jarrah, and finally we let them jump all over each other a bit. :thumbs up :D Anyway, here is Jarrah's boyfriend.

Goldfields
December 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Some more of the happy couple. LOL.

hazelrunpack
December 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
He's gorgeous, GF. Glad he and Jarrah are getting along so well!

Goldfields
December 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I think he's nice, Hazel, and if you saw him playing with the Shih Tzu, or interacting with her mini ponies, well, it's hard to believe he could be so very aggro towards strange dogs. Jarrah is in season now so he might only get another walk or two with her before we'll call it quits for a while, but then I might try introducing him to Bo. Bo's so fearless and happy to meet other dogs that hopefully we could make some progress. I am seriously considering having Jarrah speyed before her next heat. Couldn't really do it before this because the way my boys have been acting she seemed always on the verge of just coming into season. She's got impeccable breeding, a wonderful temperament and is a good type but we have only ever bred litters when we needed a pup in the past, and I can't see us wanting more cattle dogs in the future.

Goldfields
December 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I am so pleased with Jarrah today. :thumbs up Pheobe, the Persian cat, is confined behind wire that she can jump if she wants to go anywhere else in the house, but it deters dogs from going after her. Well, Jarrah's so funny, whenever she goes into the passage she is in slow motion, stalking the cat even before she sees it, and when she does she freezes, sometimes with a hind foot still in mid air. :D She is so intent that I can take hold of the foot and place it on the ground, make her sit and drop, pull her top lips down, cover her eyes with my hands , grab her tail and wag it :laughing:, she doesn't budge or break the eye contact. What sheep farmers would call a strong eye dog I guess. She snaps out of it when the cat decides to have a roll on the carpet, then she's prepared to walk away from it. Well, Phoebe was in the passage today and didn't move away, so I let Jarrah creep right up to her. She had a good sniff and didn't look like biting. Yay for Jarrah!! Persians are just the best cat in that they don't run, but all the same, I won't be trusting Jarrah totally anytime soon. :)

Goldfields
December 20th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Another encounter satisfactorily completed, Jarrah met up with this guy and came away really easily. The lizard is eating figs now that the mulberries are finished ... which reminds me, I must put the strawberries up into a hanging basket or they'll go next. :D Jarrah has a wonderful nose for scent, she alerted me to the fact that we had ripe apricots on a young tree out the front, regardless that she didn't want to eat any when I offered her a piece.

Melinda
December 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM
oh wow, she is beautiful!! I can't imagine seeing one loose in our yard!!!

hazelrunpack
December 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hurray for Jarrah!!! Glad all parties survived unscathed. :D Including in the cat encounter!

Goldfields
December 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Melinda I must try and get a photo of a Blue Tongue when it has its mouth wide open, hissing at me. If you are walking in the bush and have one do it right beside you it can give you a real scare. LOL. I think while some people raise homing pigeons, I might have a homing Blue Tongue. :) How many times is this that I've put it back over in the forest? Could be worse, it could be rabbits, hares or kangaroos eating stuff in my garden I suppose.
Hazel, if she touches our Feebles(aka Pheobe, the Persian) she'll be dead meat. LOL. She knows I mean business too. Cattle Dogs can be terrible cat killers. I think she's going well considering she wasn't raised with one though. Our outdoor cats know to keep out of her way, they don't even fraternise with the Shelties.

Goldfields
December 23rd, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ian tells me that when he got Jarrah out at lunchtime, Pheobe was lying with part of her hair through the wire and that Jarrah only licked it. (Can't let her keep doing that or she'll get a furball. LOL). While I have to say 'Good girl, Jarrah!', I still wonder if she was just getting a taste of it. :)

serenamlambe
December 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
What a wild little creature to find in your yard! I wouldn't know what to do with a lizard. Hahah. Are they actually dangerous (besides to your garden - haha)?

Goldfields
December 23rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Kids keep those lizards as pets, Serena, so they can't be too bad. I think if they bite, they hang on a bit but not sure if they could hurt you.

serenamlambe
December 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
So neat! I bet one might get a bit of a fright if they're not used to them though! Hahah.

H.P.
January 7th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Jarrah really is a good girl! I really enjoyed this tread!

Goldfields
January 7th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks, H.P., glad you liked it. Here the girl is with her late Xmas present, a place to cool her feet.

pbpatti
January 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Looks like a good place to cool her nose off too.:D I bet she spends quite some time in the pool cooling off. patti

Goldfields
January 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Not really, Patti, whereas Perkins would have been lying in it. She doesn't feel the heat like he used to though. It does give her a choice and stops her from putting her front feet up on the bird bath to drink out of it. And there is a bucket of water available, she just likes her feet wet while she drinks. I don't put much water in the little pool, so I can empty it daily.

Goldfields
January 20th, 2012, 07:23 AM
What a good girl, as I've said earlier. This evening was the second time Jarrah has picked up my camera and carried it around, in its soft case, when I haven't been there to stop her. No damage to the camera at all.

marko
January 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
such cute pics GF :highfive:- thx for sharing them.

Goldfields
January 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Glad that people like her, Marko, I really find it amazing that we lucked onto such a good one just because her owner though she was too big. The only problem we have with her, and the same went for our last boy actually, is that they get fanatically devoted to me, to the point where Jarrah doesn't want to be caught by Ian, or have him holding her lead. He calls her, she comes straight to me. (sigh) We have to work on that for when I'm in hospital having my knee done, I'd hate to come home and find she's gone totally feral. (Joking.)
I caught her air scenting near the back gate today and realised she could smell the ripe strawberries in a hanging basket above her, and sure enough, she loves them. So, between hubby and her, I probably won't get a taste.

pbpatti
January 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Good girl Jarrah for having a soft mouth on mom's camera! Fresh Strawberries yummy. Maybe if Ian gives her the stawberries that she is smelling she will go to him more? Bribery works..lol

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
That's a great idea about the strawberries, Patti!

So when is your knee surgery planned for, GF?

Goldfields
January 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I agree, a great idea, only Ian would not really want to share those strawberries. :) He has been told to bribe her already but he's slow getting around to it. Perkins was a devil, he disliked anyone else holding his lead at shows and would wait till their mind was on something else, then take a mighty leap to get back to me.
Don't know about my knee surgery but I've told the surgeon I can't have it done during the hot months. One day, out of the blue, when I'm least expecting it or prepared for it, I'll get a phone call saying the op. will be such and such a day.

Goldfields
January 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
What to do? :shrug: I was offered the stud dog I made enquiries about some time ago. Funnily enough I had been thinking that Jarrah really needs a cattle dog as company because her idea of playing with the shelties is to prance and nearly flatten them with a front foot, or bowl them when she gets the zoomies. This dog sounds great, a better personal guard dog than her(she loves everyone), good with children, cats and other dogs, also horses /sheep etc., 6 years old, a red like her. His DNA test for PRCD showed he is a B, a carrier, so unless she is an A(genetically clear) I certainly wouldn't mate them, she would be speyed and they could live happily ever after together. Still discussing the pros and cons, I don't really want him unless I pay for him, she may prefer a lease of sorts. As I'm against dogs being shunted from home to home I'd like to own him outright so I know this will be his last home. We'll see, and in the meantime I am not getting Jarrah's hopes up. :D

N.B. The ACD breeders are trying to not throw the baby out with the bathwater where PRCD is concerned. It is is the easiest problem the breed has to eradicate now we have this DNA test as even C's can be used by mating to As if they are of otherwise excellent quality. I still find it hard(maybe impossible) to risk a mating where you could get Cs though, resulting in a blind dog later on.

chico2
January 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
GF.I really enjoyed reading all the posts,Jarrah is a beautiful girl:thumbs up

Goldfields
January 22nd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Chico2. I've missed you posting, I enjoy your photo's. As for Jarrah, I've been doing a lot of soul searching and she is another reason I won't take this dog unless I can buy it. I wouldn't want her becoming friends with it only to have to send it back to the owner later and upset her.

ownedbycats
January 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
I just wanted to say your jarrah sounds like a lovely girl. The photos of your animals are gorgeous.

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
When do you have to make the decision on Jarrah's new bud, GF?

Goldfields
January 24th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I have put off a decision saying I am too busy cleaning up Fairy Grass to look after another dog at the moment, so if she could hang onto him for maybe another month ......? Ironically, while that is the honest truth, seeing that the only cool times for bagging that rotten stuff up coincides with getting our dogs exercised, darn it if we haven't fluked two days of very light wind and this is the first time in 6 weeks we haven't been buried in it. Miracles happen. :) Today could be the same, I've been stuck inside doing a mountain of washing, answering phone calls etc.,so don't know how windy it's been.
As soon as the weather cools down I'll get that DNA swab done on Jarrah - fingers crossed for her please. Sometimes this breed doesn't live long enough to go blind if they do have PRCD, but occassionally one might be blind at say 3 years of age. :( We want an A or B result.

Goldfields
February 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
.....and the result is .....She's a B. Yay!! Would have been great if she was an A but at least she will not go blind due to PRCD, and I only need to breed her to a clear dog. May have to do AI to an interstate dog perhaps, but it's all hypothetical , she needs to have good hips, elbows and hearing and those tests won't be done till the weather cools down. So far, for her sake, I am happy, and relieved.

hazelrunpack
February 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Good news about the PRCD, GF! That must be a relief!

Goldfields
February 15th, 2012, 12:27 AM
It's wonderful, Hazel, because I've heard on American ACD forums from time to time of dogs that have sadly gone blind and just can't cope with it. Jarrah mightn't have either, she's so 'busy' and alert. Doing a happy dance for her therefore, in between phoning ACD friends with the news. LOL.

Rgeurts
February 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
That's such good news, GF!! I'm very happy for you, and of course, Jarrah!! Hopefully all the other tests will come back fine. She's such a beautiful girl :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Goldfields
February 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Robyn. :) Funnily enough, I still seriously think of desexing her rather than mating her. Just looking for a stud dog has taken me back into the show scene and if anything it seems worse than when we retired from it. Oh, her breeder assures me she was B.A.E.R. tested with bilateral hearing as a baby puppy, but unless he can come up with paperwork for it I would still have to do that. Unnecessary stress for her if she needs sedation again.

Goldfields
February 16th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Well, Jarrah and I went for a short walk down the road this evening, close to dusk. Accross the dry creek/channel I spotted two kangaroos, a mother and young one that took off when they saw us. The wind meant Jarrah didn't catch their scent and I thought 'Pity, I'd like to know how she reacts'. We continued and just reached the channel, when up out of it, right where it goes under the road, so maybe 12 feet in front of us, hopped two big male kangaroos. SORRY, I could not get the camera out of the bag fast enough, but I got my reaction from Jarrah anyway, and this was all it was. She simply stood and watched them. I cannot believe what a sweetheart she is, completely laid back for this breed. She'd been doing a bit of nose licking in the second photo with the sheep. :D

serenamlambe
February 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Oh my goodness, she is just the cutest. I love her sweet face.

Congrats on the good outcome of the tests! And, wow, I can't believe she didn't react to kangaroos!

Rgeurts
February 16th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Whether or not you decide to breed her, I'm just happy she seems to be free of the health issues. She's such a beautiful girl. If Nookie had seen the kangas, he'd be off in a flash lol. That boy never goes off leash. I LOVE the pictures of her... and Serena is right, she has such a sweet face :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Goldfields
February 17th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks, girls. Jarrah would like your faces too, if she could only lick them. LOL. I'll probably get her hips done even if I decide to spay her. That way, if she has HD I can get her onto glucosamine etc. early and try and make her life a bit more bearable. I'm sure all my other ACDs would have been after the kangas too, Robyn, and if they smelt a koala they'd almost drag me up a tree. This Jarrah though, she was just made for us oldies, calm and sensible.

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
She looks very happy in the pic with the sheep. She must think they're cute, too! :laughing: "I kissed a sheep! hehehe"

Goldfields
February 18th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Don't know how calm and sensible she'd be in with them of course, Hazel. I reckon she might just latch onto the nose of any ewe that tried to butt her or bluff her. I don't do it because the ewes are still feeding their lambs regardless that said lambs are almost as big as them, so they deserve peace and quiet.
Aah, I don't have to feed the sheep tonight, how good is that!? :) They kick up so much dust, my hair gets filthy. No, I fed them earlier, had to lock them up so some big hay bales could be unloaded.

Goldfields
April 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
An update. The first time I let Jarrah out here at night, I did so without checkling if the cats were about. That was simply because we never see them out the side where I took her. She pounced on something under the mulberry tree, Sibi, who got chased over the fence!:evil: Well, she spotted Sibi this morning, outside the gate, and started stalking towards him in slow motion. I told her a few things quietly, like 'Don't touch Sibi, Sibi is our cat" etc. then without raising my voice told her to "Come!" Instant recall, what a doll. :lovestruck: Being a cattle dog she still tried to chew her way into a bag of dog food last night though. :D She ain't perfect. The halo slips occassionally. :shrug: :laughing:

Here she is with her latest toy. This ball has a nice loud high pitched squeaker and after buying it I thought maybe I wouldn't like the constant noise, thinking I'd call in and give it to Archie instead(and drive my friend crazy:D), but then I recalled that Archie deflated his soccer ball with one bite so this one wouldn't survive long. Anyway, Jarrah's good with it, she isn't the power biter that Perkins was, instead just carries it without chomping on it.

I have to babysit Archie again, next weekend, so that'll be nice, although I find myself getting VERY attached to him.

hazelrunpack
April 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Even an angel needs to cut loose now and then, GF! :laughing:

Glad Sibi survived the encounter none the worse for wear! Think she was just playing? Seems like if she'd had nefarious intent in mind, Sibi would have been in deep trouble! Jarrah's such a good girl! :D :dog:

Goldfields
April 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
At the moment, with my knee so bad, Hazel, I've had to start using a walking stick, and thankfully, she's a dog that knows when to be careful. She reminds us a lot of our very first registered girl. A sensitive soul.

lindapalm
April 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Jarrah just wanted to make sure Sibi was getting enough exercise, she wasn't going to hurt her. Our border collie/lab does that to our cats all the time, I can't believe she hasn't gotten scratched really bad.

Goldfields
April 8th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Jarrah just wanted to make sure Sibi was getting enough exercise, she wasn't going to hurt her.
I wish. :D We don't take risks after a cross bred heeler grabbed the cat we had when we got married. Tiger was used to my sheltie so just walked up to this heeler. Broke Tiger's leg in a couple of places, paralysed his hindquarters. The leg was pinned and the paralysis wore off, thank Heaven. Anyway, I don't approve of dogs even scaring cats, if it's mutual playing - cat baiting dog - fair enough, but otherwise I want instant obedience so the dog can be called off the cat.

Goldfields
May 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
What was she watching so intently, she stood there for a while, not moving a muscle? She was looking up, it's a bit hard to tell from this angle. It was a crested pigeon sitting on our power line, and unlike a sheltie, which would bark and chase, Jarrah was just curious, listening to it coo-ing, then following slowly to see where it went after it flew on. She is such a good girl. :)

hazelrunpack
May 16th, 2012, 10:04 PM
The Pack is gonna make that good girl an honorary pointin' setter!!! :D

Goldfields
May 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM
She would have an absolute ball with the pack, Hazel. She stalks/creeps like a strong eyed Kelpie and would freeze like a Setter ..... what's wrong with her? :eek: She should go in all guns blazin' , biting :evil: like a cattle dog. :D Here is one at dusk when I was counting sheep(just in case anything was tangled up in baling twine), she's more interested in me than that ewe watching her. Susie would have been trying to bite through the wire(I didn't call her 'Susie Scissorteeth' for nothing, and we did have to repair an almost cattle dog size hole in the fence because of her)) while Perkins would have a Kong in his mouth and be spinning madly, chomping the heck out of it seeing he couldn't reach the sheep. :laughing: Speaking of sheep, I am getting closer to culling some ewes and this one, added two more of her, is definitely a stayer. She lost her lamb to arthritis last year but I'll vaccinate against it next lambing. She loves me to pat and massage her head, very friendly, but more importantly, no wool around her rear end to get wet and dirty, then fly struck.

Goldfields
July 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm back from hospital and getting used to my new knee slowly. Jarrah is still being an angel, she does seem to sense I can't be jumped on yet, although she did try to dive up onto the bed one day when I was doing exercises. My fault though as I'd allowed her to sleep beside me while I did pre-op exercises. Fortunately Ian had a lead on her and I also fended her off with my closest arm. You have no idea how fabulous it is just to be able to sit comfortably long enough to do anything on this computer! :) I'd be doing a happy dance, if I could. LOL.

lindapalm
July 11th, 2012, 10:24 PM
You must be very happy the surgery is over, was it better or worse than anticipated? The hard part now is to have to sit back and watch all the weeds grow outside. Will your husband help with the flowers? I know mine wouldn't.

hazelrunpack
July 11th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Glad to hear you're home and on the mend, GF!

Goldfields
July 12th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Sadly, much worse than anticipated, lindapalm, and not really due to my knee. I take anti-inflammatories for other problems and they'd made me stop taking them a week before the op.. I also can only get comfortable with my sore hip and back on a very firm mattress, while they pride themselves on the lovely soft mattress they supply in Acute Care. :( So, hours of agony there, and even worse, I am sensitive to morphein or anything related to it. They swapped from morphein to Endone(same thing or related), then to Targen(sp?)(same thing or related) so I was as sick as a dog for an entire week, saved only by my GP paying me a visit and telling them to get me off all 3. He put me on Tramahexal and it was 100% better, but that was the week from Hell where I couldn't do the exercises I should have been doing, so now I'm battling to get the knee mobile again. I lost either 8 or 12 kg over 9 days, so sick that I'd refuse meals and just eat dry bread, and you can't blame the nurses seeing they can only give you what Dr's tell them to. Can't wait to see the surgeon again.:evil:
I can walk, slowly seeing it's wet and muddy, around the garden, or out to our letter box, and tomorrow go back for a new set of exercises from the physio. If anyone reckons this is easy, the best thing they ever did, then I think it must be like childbirth, where women sort of forget the pain involved. :D To get back on topic a tiny bit, Bo is the only dog, and maybe Silk a little bit, that can't take no for an answer. He wants to leap onto my lap, she wants to crawl up my leg. LOL.
Hazel, I've been looking at your albums on FB and must find time to have a look through them, but it's only last night and today I've been able to sit more than a few minutes comfortably.

hazelrunpack
July 12th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Your hospital stay sounds horrible, GF :( Glad your GP finally arrived to set them straight. Being at the mercy of doctors who 'know better than you do' is sort of a Stephen King plot... :frustrated: :o

Now that you're home, I hope the therapy goes much better and you get that knee moving again quickly!

As for the albums, they're not going anywhere. :D Glad you're enjoying them... or at least looking at them! :p :laughing:

Get well soon, GF!

Dog Dancer
July 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
GF, I didn't realize you had gone for your surgery already, and am so sorry to hear it went badly at the hospital, but glad the surgery was a success. I sure hope your recovery goes better than the hospital stay! Gentle hugs to you my friend as you recover, take care of yourself and keep us posted when you can drag yourself to the machine!:grouphug:

Goldfields
August 16th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry I didn't see your message, DD, I actually proved sensitive to the Tramahexal the Dr put me on too after the op. so didn't feel even halfways like I'd survive until I took myself off it last week.
Jarrah is about to see what dog showing is all about, but only as a spectator.
A friend(All Breeds Judge, breeder of Australian Cattle Dogs) (who sometimes handled Perkins in the show ring for me) is judging locally this weekend and I will take Jarrah over there for her opinion on which of her stud dogs might suit her as a mate IF all of Jarrah's health tests are okay. I have just sent paperwork off for the PLL and coat colour tests, PLL being (mental block) LOL, primary lens luxation. PRCD has already been done.Coat colour test is to see if she carries the genes for cream,chocolate etc.. Same test they do for Labs I think, but don't quote me on that. Hips, elbows and hearing will be done down in Ballarat later. She's just been in season so I need to wait a while before I get her hips scored.
Just one photo of her today, out in my overgrown garden cum dog cemetry. I'll bet she'd love to have another cattle dog to tear around with in there.

lindapalm
August 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM
She looks like a very strong dog, I love her markings.

Goldfields
August 16th, 2012, 11:54 PM
She apparently knocked her previous owner out twice, Lindapalm, by leaping up I think and hitting him under the chin. :D So, yes, she's strong, but maybe not as strong as Perkins was. A friend with Kelpies had to hold him for me at a show and even though she didn't walk him anywhere, she commented on his strength. Jarrah is softer and more easily controlled, the girlie version of our red fellow.:D

Goldfields
August 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Oh, ACDs are supposed to be built like a small thickset dingo by the way, though she's more like a big thickset dingo. LOL.

Goldfields
August 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Feeling cosy in my Winter dog coat, and it was so good of Betty to throw weeds out to make a cushion for my head while I doze in the sunshine. :D It's a hard life for some dogs. :laughing:

Barkingdog
August 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Some more of the happy couple. LOL.

They're a very handsome couple! I love the photos of the sheep and dog and pony together.

Goldfields
August 27th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I'm really going to have to get her a cattle dog puppy pal, can't have her lying around doing nothing. :D

hazelrunpack
August 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM
She's adorable in that jacket!! :lovestruck: And so comfy on her weed pillow! :laughing:

Dog Dancer
August 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
She does look comfortable on her pile of weeds, dressed for the winter (lovely coat). Halo would find something soft to put her head on too! Jarrah is so pretty.

Barkingdog
August 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
She's adorable in that jacket!! :lovestruck: And so comfy on her weed pillow! :laughing:

I tell my dog he looks cute in his jacket and does not believe me. He hate to wear it and will lay down to make it harder to put on him.

Goldfields
August 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
All my dogs have dog coat for the Winter, simply because blow drying wet shelties got old fast. LOL. The only dog that really dislikes its coat is Bo, who tries (and sometimes succeeds) to rub it off. Let's face it, Hazel and DD, some girls are just Princesses. :)

Barkingdog
August 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM
All my dogs have dog coat for the Winter, simply because blow drying wet shelties got old fast. LOL. The only dog that really dislikes its coat is Bo, who tries (and sometimes succeeds) to rub it off. Let's face it, Hazel and DD, some girls are just Princesses. :)

Marty's fur get matted very easy when it get wet so I put a coat when it raining hard or snowing. My hearing dog thought he was going to work when I put his winter jacket on him and he would get very serious when I put it on him. He was a clown when he was off duty. I don't think Marty would like me blow drying him.

Goldfields
August 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Dogs get used to a hair dryer fairly fast I've found, but then my shelties seem to know they need looking after. You only need to make sure it doesn't get too hot for them. I brush and blow at the same time, moving the dryer constantly. Then run fingers through all the coat making sure they are dry. They think it's all good. :)

Goldfields
August 30th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Another of Jarrah's results is here, she is clear of PLL(Primary Lens Luxation). Hooray! Untreated PLL can lead on to Glaucoma so I am very pleased with this result. The coat colour test isn't complete yet, I should get that result next week.

Goldfields
September 11th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Darn dog, still lying about, sunbaking. :D Thought I'd show you a nice cattle dogs smile too. It's only the dogs with good cheek muscles that produce such a nice smiley result. LOL. Jarrah's colour results are in . EE, BB, DD, so all is well. No surprise chocolate or cream pups if I did ever breed with her.

hazelrunpack
September 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
She sure does look happy, GF. :lovestruck:

Koteburo
September 11th, 2012, 04:27 PM
First thing I thought when I saw her...
What a cute smile :lovestruck:

Goldfields
September 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM
The cattle dog smile is why my previous red girl got called(amongst her other nicknames) "Susie Smiley-face". Love my smiley dogs. :lovestruck:
The other thing the breed has become renowned for, in the States particularly, is the cattle dog shriek. Thankfully I've only ever had one that did it, but she did it well. :rolleyes: She'd wait till you were walking past her yard, then leap to shoulder height so she could shriek in your ear. :eek: :D The first time she did it she was in one of the back yards and I went tearing around to rescue her seeing I was convinced she must have had a leg trapped in the wire for sure.LOL.

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
:laughing: Dogs do have a wicked sense of humor sometimes! :dog:

Goldfields
September 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Sweetie was just wicked, Hazel, and also very badly named. LOL. She once did that shriek at ear level when I was driving in a steel post beside her yard, using a big sledge hammer, and I hammered my finger, not the post - still have the scar to show for it! (Grrrr!) She injured me more than all my other dogs combined actually, at different times and in different ways. Wonder why I loved her at all really.

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Cuz she was your girl! :D Even wicked girls need lovin's now and then! :laughing:

Dog Dancer
September 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Got to admit that Jarrah has a great smile! How cool that they have that naturally, I know a few dogs do, but it's so obvious with her.

Goldfields
October 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Barbara laid a couple of tracks for Jarrah while she was here and was very pleased with this second one she did seeing it was on freshly mowed grass. The scent of the grass is strong yet she tracked better.

Aren't the Tamarisks pretty when they flower? They say in gardening books that they are invasive, yet in 37 years none of those has self seeded or put up suckers.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Good girl, Jarrah!

Tamarisks are pretty, but they can be problematic because they tie up so much of the water resources and concentrate salt in their foliage. They need soaking rains for the seeds to germinate, though, which may be why they're not spreading very quickly, but they also propagate by runners. In the US there are huge extermination programs going on in areas where they've taken over the landscape around rivers and lakes...

Barkingdog
October 5th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The cattle dog smile is why my previous red girl got called(amongst her other nicknames) "Susie Smiley-face". Love my smiley dogs. :lovestruck:
The other thing the breed has become renowned for, in the States particularly, is the cattle dog shriek. Thankfully I've only ever had one that did it, but she did it well. :rolleyes: She'd wait till you were walking past her yard, then leap to shoulder height so she could shriek in your ear. :eek: :D The first time she did it she was in one of the back yards and I went tearing around to rescue her seeing I was convinced she must have had a leg trapped in the wire for sure.LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJFIpFGgSU&feature=related

Does she sound like this? I love her smile too.

Dog Dancer
October 5th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Yay Jarrah! Are they typically scent dogs or is Jarrah just "special" in another wonderful way? I would not have thought scent dog with a cattle dog, but of course they do have a nose.

Love the tree's, they are pretty.

Goldfields
October 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Lots of invasive plants wouldn't be invasive here, Hazel. I'm starting to think that Lucerne trees may be a problem, but I can cut them down and feed them to the sheep, and I know we planted Sparaxi bulbs a long time ago and they thought they could take over the world. Got rid of them, and apparently Gazanias grow like weeds here too. Not so the Tamarisks though and the sheep love to nibble on them whenever they get a chance, the only thing I dislike about them is the amount of dead wood on them.
Barkingdog, you won't believe it but my speakers could be past their use by date, I think they died about 3 days ago. I can't view the video until I check them out. Oh, I could SEE the video, just not HEAR it. And maybe I don't want to. :D When I turn this off I will check all the wiring.
My sister said there have been lots of cattle dogs get tracking titles, DD, so no, she's not special. She's very switched on in that she notices everything new or different in her surroundings, but interesting for me to see her use her nose. My first ACD girl was out of a bitch that became an Australian Obedience Ch, so of course that one had to track, and yes, her daughter had a great nose. I always smile when I recall her reaction when my mother, whom she adored, sent me a crocheted cover for my lounge. Snoopy caught her scent and went back and forth along it, wagging her tail , and smiling, you'd swear mum was actually here. Then there was BJ who didn't want to retrieve a tennis ball, who didn't want to retrieve half a tennis ball, she wanted to retrieve little bits about half the size of your little finger nail. LOL. Chewed off bits. Of course they got lost in the grass but obviously she loved tracking the scent, then she'd come to where I was sitting and place it very carefully on my knee. I do miss her and her little quirks.

Barkingdog
October 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Lots of invasive plants wouldn't be invasive here, Hazel. I'm starting to think that Lucerne trees may be a problem, but I can cut them down and feed them to the sheep, and I know we planted Sparaxi bulbs a long time ago and they thought they could take over the world. Got rid of them, and apparently Gazanias grow like weeds here too. Not so the Tamarisks though and the sheep love to nibble on them whenever they get a chance, the only thing I dislike about them is the amount of dead wood on them.
Barkingdog, you won't believe it but my speakers could be past their use by date, I think they died about 3 days ago. I can't view the video until I check them out. Oh, I could SEE the video, just not HEAR it. And maybe I don't want to. :D When I turn this off I will check all the wiring.
My sister said there have been lots of cattle dogs get tracking titles, DD, so no, she's not special. She's very switched on in that she notices everything new or different in her surroundings, but interesting for me to see her use her nose. My first ACD girl was out of a bitch that became an Australian Obedience Ch, so of course that one had to track, and yes, her daughter had a great nose. I always smile when I recall her reaction when my mother, whom she adored, sent me a crocheted cover for my lounge. Snoopy caught her scent and went back and forth along it, wagging her tail , and smiling, you'd swear mum was actually here. Then there was BJ who didn't want to retrieve a tennis ball, who didn't want to retrieve half a tennis ball, she wanted to retrieve little bits about half the size of your little finger nail. LOL. Chewed off bits. Of course they got lost in the grass but obviously she loved tracking the scent, then she'd come to where I was sitting and place it very carefully on my knee. I do miss her and her little quirks.

My dog came running into the room when he heard the dogs barking and he wanted to see them too.

Goldfields
October 5th, 2012, 08:30 PM
That's funny, Barkingdog. :D Poor boy must have been disappointed.

Goldfields
October 12th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I've gone from having one wannabe tracking dog to having four. LOL. Jarrah left some of the food behind and it's amazing how quickly the shelties got the general idea of tracking my steps. In this photo the dog at the rear, Dundee, is following my scent after where the track was stopped. A day old track too, clever little doggies. :) Jarrah's breed has changed, I'm now calling her a Snuffle hound. Bit like a Truffle hound but she's finding a reward for herself. She snores when asleep so is a bit of a noisy tracker too. :D

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I see a whole new activity for your pack for the summer! :laughing:

Goldfields
October 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I wish, Hazel. Summer is when you don't track with them, too many grass seeds to get up their nostrils. I might do a bit of early morning or evening tracking on the bitumin road maybe.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2012, 11:16 AM
That's a bummer! :(

Goldfields
October 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, fancy just getting interested when you can't keep going. :( There might be a few tracks on grass I can still do, here at home I mean.

Goldfields
October 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Obedience shuts down during the heat too. Good thing I started today, I know I have a month to get Jarrah behaving herself before we get a special visitor at the Club, namely Michael Tucker. Michael runs a dog training school and is the author of 5 dog training books. He stopped with us many years ago now so he could run a seminar locally and back then I had a trained dog, not like Jarrah today. :D I didn't know how much her previous owner had taught her, not much was the answer. No idea of the stand exercise, her heeling and sitting was reasonable considering the year she's been away from training. It was good though and I took photo's of the dog she partnered up with, for DD. We had to use each other's dogs as distractions when doing recalls. The Mal's name is Nikki, 5 months old. I got put into the puppy class while they worked out how much Jarrah knows. LOL.

hazelrunpack
October 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM
If nothing else, the puppies should be great for distraction exercises, GF! :laughing: Does Jarrah seem to like the class?

That's a beautiful Mal!

Dog Dancer
October 14th, 2012, 03:26 PM
GF, thanks for thinking of me! What a beautiful Mal. Aurelio is hoping for a black and white, but will take whatever colour comes along. I would have been very happy to see a pic of Jarrah too though. Hopefully she is an "advanced" puppy!

Goldfields
October 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Trouble is I can't hold the dog and take the photo, and everyone else has dogs to hold too. Maybe when she can do stays, hey? Jarrah does seem to enjoy it, Hazel. She thought a bouncy little poodle cross might have been something worth chasing but I had to disallusion her. DD, I found the Mal to be very lightfooted and gentle, surprised me really. I'm always interested in other breeds. I was just thinking what solid balls of muscle ACDs can be, and certainly not lightfooted and , looking ahead, I hope Jarrah doesn't develope a recall like my Sweetie had. Sweetie would come so fast she'd have to skid to a halt. If Jarrah does that she'll probably not stop in time and bowl me .. ROFL.
Something just occured to me. I'd like to know where that woman got her Dobe pup with the docked tail now that docking is illegal here. Hmmmm! Nice to see another pup there though , a Cocker Spaniel, with its waggy bits. :)

Goldfields
October 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Jarrah's obedience classes have been cancelled. Too bad, so sad, for her anyway as she did enjoy the outing and meeting other dogs. However, I did ask if the area was fully fenced before we started and was assured it was, only to find today that the big double gates are left wide open.:rolleyes: Strike 2 was that there were totally out of control dogs that shouldn't have been off lead yet, one being the Staffie that growled at her last week, and Strike 3 is that you can't have your dog with you when enrolling, it has to be left tied to a post. (With a correction collar on, and dogs loose, disobeying their owners?? Err, NO!!) LOL. So, home we came. :) I will go on training her here, it was only ever to make her easy to live with anyway, not for trials.

hazelrunpack
October 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM
That's too bad, GF. :( No other classes available nearby?

Goldfields
October 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
It's very disappointing. The closest Club apart from this one is 100 miles away. My sister is so lucky living close to the City, she has a great choice of Clubs that are really serious about getting dogs to trial standard. This one here is too 'country' by far for my liking. I had hoped it would have improved.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hooray, thanks to a badly leaking hose I have discovered I finally have another cattle dog that likes playing with water, seems like forever since we've had one.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Downside is that she doesn't like my blow dryer. LOL. She'll get used to it.

angeldogs
November 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM
what a cutie she is. looks like she was having a blast with the leaking hose

hazelrunpack
November 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
:laughing: She does seem to be having a great time!!!

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
She showed no interest much in the wading pool we bought her last summer, too tame for a cattle dog she reckons. :D

pbpatti
November 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Looks like Jarrah is having so much fun with the hose. Sorry to hear about the training classes, the classes that I did with Sasha would not let us socialize at all and all dogs must be on leash at all times. That is how it should be to keep any possible fighting down. IMO

Goldfields
November 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
That is what I was told it'd be like, Patti, but not the case. Seeing I didn't want tp be in the middle of a Staffie/ACD fight, best to keep her home with more pleasant dogs. My sister has concentrated on obedience for 30 or more years and tells them that she doesn't take hers to classes to socialise, only to train them. When trialling she wants the attention on her, not other dogs.

Goldfields
November 23rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
I learnt something new about Jarrah this morning. I left my hubby in charge of the dogs while I went to water the front garden, he was supposed to keep an eye out for snakes seeing it is a hot day. When I returned here is Jarrah walking around with something in her mouth :eek: but luckily it was a blue tongue lizard about 5 or 6 inches long, and thank heaven, it was alive. :thumbs up I just hope I don't come back next time to find her carrying a snake!:eek: :eek: I gave the lizard a quick 'sloosh' through the bird bath to get her saliva off it, then released it into my Iceberg rose bed area, where she can't get to it. When I looked again it was gone into hiding, so that's a good sign. Evidently she has a soft mouth. As for hubby he said he didn't know she had it because he couldn't see her....and that's what he calls supervising the dogs. :shrug:

angeldogs
November 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
That's a good thing she is soft mouthed and the lizard wasnt hurt.that wouldn't have been good if it was a snake.

Goldfields
November 24th, 2012, 01:22 AM
No, if it was a snake you'd want her to kill it quick, or leave it totally alone. I'll be worried during every Summer unless I can put the fear of doG into her!

angeldogs
November 24th, 2012, 09:38 AM
She is better off leaving them alone not knowing if their poisonous or not.
all we have here in my part of ontario is non venomous snakes and my buddy is scared of snakes and his old cat used to bring them home.

Goldfields
November 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
All the snakes in my part of Australia are deadly ones unfortunately. Tiger snakes, Eastern Browns, Copperheads and Red-bellied black snakes. :(

angeldogs
November 24th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Oh wow. so you have to be carefull and keep your eyes open when out in the gardens and grass and bush areas.

Goldfields
November 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Yes, and it's bad if you have a cattle dog that hunts non-stop, or one like in the past, she would get jittery and act like she was walking on egg shells and you knew there was a snake nearby. If she jumped suddenly or shied away from a grassy area it nearly gave ME a heart attack! LOL. Poor girl had been living with a snake visiting mouse holes under the concrete floor of her yard though, so no wonder she was freaked out. We got rid of that snake once we knew it was there, and its mate.

angeldogs
November 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
atleast she gives a sign there is a snake near by if she acts like that.hopefully she still has the sence to stay away and not hunt them.i like snakes just want nothing to do with the poisonous ones

Goldfields
November 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Well, this will sound crazy only to those who don't like snakes. I actually don't want to stop them visiting, I want to stop Jarrah from hunting them, or lizards. In summer there is no water over in the forest so I expect snakes would come to our dam and that should be allowed. They will always look for mice around the buildings, or frogs at the dam, fact of life, I just have to cure Jarrah of her total obsession of going after anything that moves.

angeldogs
November 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Doesnt sound crazy at all. when my friend rented a farm wanted the coyotes to stay on the farm property so they would not be killed when the city was trying to pass a shoot on site bylaw. the only time they would stay away for a week is if jag had been at the farm marking his territory. hopefully you can get that girlie over her obsession.

Goldfields
November 25th, 2012, 09:51 PM
She's pretty smart and it'll be a loooong hot summer this year, so she'll soon learn how much I disapprove of her antics. :) Your friend must be a true animal lover to want to protect the coyotes, good on her. It's why I get cranky about the local farm boys shooting kangaroos in the forest opposite us.They have lost their natural habitat and the forest is their only refuge, so they should be left in peace I think.

angeldogs
November 26th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Yes she is used to get deer all the time too.they werent being dangerous so it was best thing.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
This is the one that got away. A blue tongue I found when weeding the garden yesterday. The annoying thing is that they are good fellows, eating snails, slugs and the like, but I have to shift them on for fear Jarrah will kill them. And kill one she did, I found her with a baby again, dead this time. :( :rip:
Anyway, this adult lizard wasn't pleased with me shifting it. If you are walking in the bush here and suddenly one hisses and opens its mouth like that next to you it can give you a real fright. :eek: Fair enough though, they don't want to be stepped on.

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I can see where it gets its name!! :D

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Yes, hope I never open my mouth and find my tongue that colour. LOL.

angeldogs
December 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM
That would be so cool to see stuff like that in your back yard. i like lizards.

Goldfields
December 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
It's OK so long as you recognize the fact that any strawberries or mulberries are being grown for the blue tongues(and Jarrah). :D
They are big sleepy lizards, and I imagine often kept as pets.

angeldogs
December 15th, 2012, 06:00 PM
They sell them here in pet stores. so you have to be quick and get yours before jarrah and the lizards or its a snooze you lose moment

Goldfields
September 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Jarrah had a vet visit yesterday, to have a swab done for a DNA test, the rcd4 gene which causes late onset blindness in ACD's, a mutated form of Progressive Retinal Atrophy. So, hope you'll keep fingers crossed for us, clear or carrier is fine, we don't want to find she is effected. I also asked could they check out her ears as she often acts as if they are worrying her but it was only loose hairs. As usual she behaved for both vets beautifully, our only hassle for the day was getting her back into her cage in the car. The words lead bum spring to mind. :D No way known will she help. :mad: I got my revenge by starting her on a weight reducing diet, LOL. In this photo she was enjoying the Spring sunshine, though the look on her face could mean "Oh no, I'm going to starve!"

Goldfields
October 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
And the good news is .... Clear/Normal for rcd-4. (Doing a happy dance!!) I was a bit worried that being a carrier of PRA she might also be for rcd -4, but that is silly, two different genes.

momoftwofuzzies
October 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I don't know what all those mean, but good news is good news! lol

Goldfields
October 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
We have DNA tests for 3 eye problems that Australian Cattle Dogs can get, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, the dogs can go blind at any age, rcd-4 that is a mutated form of that, this is responsible for late onset blindness, and Primary Lens Luxation, which might be the nastiest, it can lead on to Glaucoma and blindness or the dog even having to lose an eye(s). The DNA tests are a blessing , there is now no excuse for effected dogs to be born.

Goldfields
November 5th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Hate the hot weather and ripe mulberries, it so attracts blue tongue lizards to the fruit. Jarrah killed a young one yesterday with one pounce and snap at it, :evil: then today a big one was killed by an unknown culprit. May have been Roo or Jarrah. Hubby was supposed to be supervising their exercise but by the time I was alerted to something wrong, with Dundee after a third lizard, not his usual bark, it was too late to save the second one. I did pick up the third one and pop it over the fence to safety. I wish they'd leave them alone, they're the good guys in the garden, eating snails and slugs. :( Neither of the cattle dogs were revved up, they were both trying to look innocent. We'll have to go back to searching for them before we let dogs loose.

Dog Dancer
November 5th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Yeah - nope, can't see myself checking the yard for lizzards before I put the dogs out!

Goldfields
November 5th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Can't possibly happen, DD? Lucky you. :) Have to keep track of even the dead ones here or Roo is likely to stash one away, beside a potted rose(eeewww! the stink!) to bring out later and roll on. LOL

Dog Dancer
November 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM
LOL - nope, can't possibly happen here. Now they may grab me a rat if they get a chance! Ewww Roo, don't roll on dead lizards. :yuck: Lupa picks up worms all the time, not sure what she'd do if she found a slug though, and I honestly don't want to think about it.

Goldfields
November 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Now, see, I am really, really scared of rats! If a dog killed one, or even came at me carrying a live one, I would run for the hills. LOL. Took me a long time just to get used to mice, which can (rarely) occur in plague proportions in this grain growing area I'm in, but the last rat I saw was in my parent's house when I was a kid. No, sorry, there were a lot at a stud farm I worked at. I felt safe there because we had a cat that was an excellent ratter. Why on earth would Lupa pick up worms? I show the big ones to my dogs sometimes but none want to touch them. Eeeewww on the slug idea too, I had a vision of her opening her mouth and one sitting there happily(?) on her big tongue. YUK!

Dog Dancer
November 7th, 2013, 03:10 PM
As far as I can tell Lupa eats the worms if she is in the mood. :yuck: How lucky am I with what Nikki eats and what Lupa eats!! I try to pick up the big worms after the rain so she can't eat them, but just getting them on a stick makes my stomach roll. If I catch her eating a slug she's outta here... well okay not really.. but I won't be happy - and thank you for the visual you gave me! lol

Goldfields
November 7th, 2013, 07:18 PM
My pleasure, DD. You know, down in Gippsland they have giant earthworms, so big that I believe they can be heard moving in the ground. A friend had a cattle dog called Basil(a female called Basil??) and she'd say to her "Worms, Basil! Where are the worms?", whereupon Basil would start bouncing around the lawn, or should I say pouncing. Looked so funny. LOL. Lupa would have liked Basil, Basil could have found them for Lupa to eat. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Gippsland_earthworm

Barkingdog
November 7th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Yes, hope I never open my mouth and find my tongue that colour. LOL.

If you eat a lot blueberries you might find it that color.

Goldfields
November 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Mulberries too. :)