Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puzzling Eye Discharge

amtrakusa
November 8th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Greetings All, (first post)

Our newest addition, Popcorn, a white stray kitten walked into our backyard this past August and has been a real treat to our family much to the disgust of the other feline members. 7 days ago I noticed he had some discharge in his left eye so I removed it. While removing it it appeared to be attached to his outer eye film but it came out and then some of it appeared to retract back into the eye. I searched his eye trying to remove what "apparently" did not come out but I could not see anything.

Another strange aspect of this was the makeup of the discharge. It looked like normal eye goop > clear and gooey but it also had what looked like a splinter. About 1/4 of an inch long and black, but soft, unlike a splinter. At the time I thought the goop was created by the splinter material and I thought this was the end of it. 2 or 3 days later I see the goop in his same eye again. I pulled it out and it looked exactly like the previous goop. I notified everyone in the family about it and told them to be on the lookout for it.

Sure enough, tonight, 11-8-11, my youngest son saw some in his eye again. I pulled it out and examined it with 3 pairs of glasses on. The goop is attached to the splinter looking on one end. It does not appear to be alive, like a worm or anything. I put the stuff on a white plate and added 2 drops of water and within 20 minutes the dark splinter object had turned to normal clear mucus color.

Popcorn is showing no signs of irritation or any additional eye problems. Both eyes appear fully clear and normal. Any thoughts from anybody other than run to the vet.

Many thanks, Amtrakusa

growler~GateKeeper
November 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
amtrakusa anytime there is any issues with the eyes the best course of action is to bring your pet to the vet asap. Also would be a good idea not to clean the eye right before the visit, so the vet can accurately see what is concerning you.

:goodvibes: Let us know how the visit goes.

Bina
November 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hello and welcome !

I'm going to have to say that a vet visit is probably needed for this.

Having had a similar problem with my own eye last year and putting it off for months before going to see an opthalmologist, the eyes are too precious to be ignored.

By the way, my doctor was furious that I hadn't gone in earlier and my eye drops had to be continued for twice as long because of it.

Also, when you see the vet, maybe the kitty is due for some basic vaccs anyway so that the cost of the visit won't be extra next time.
Good Luck !! Let us know.