Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found Black/Brown Adult Cat - Pierrefonds Quebec

RuthSan
November 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Beautiful Adult Cat that resembles a Main Coon has been hanging around for the last few weeks.

Black/Brown stripes
All claws
Limps a bit on one paw
Very hungry and crying alot
No ID

I've been feeding it with dry food every day.

If this cat is yours please contact sathibov@yhaoo.com

RuthSan
November 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Looking for advice on how to rescue this cat. Here's the story.

I met this cat on my daily morning walk on Halloween morning. It was trying to get into a garbage bag. It came to me crying and I crouched down and patted it. I took it in my arms and put her back down. A man walking his dog told me he had been feeding her from time to time but could not take her in. He went inside and came back out with some food. This cat was so hungry. As I left, she followed me and so I took her in my arms and thought I could bring her home and rescued it. Well, I did not have a plan and once inside my house it went wild and hissed when it saw my 2 other female/declawed cats. I had to this cat out as it was in too much distress.

I've been feeding this cat now for the last 3 weeks. I have attempted twice to take her in my arms again and bring her inside, but it's no longer possible as she hisses and tries to bite me. She lets me pat her/him and sit beside while she eats, but nothing else. Yet it is so hungry, I see this cat from my kitchen window morning and night looking for food. She is the only abandoned cat that I can see in my neighborhood.

Is it possible it is already going feral?

It is starting to get cold, rain and snow and can't leave foor out cause it gets all wet. No shelter to put the food.

I love this cat so much, yet I feel it will have a rough winter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

BenMax
November 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Put this cat up in PetLuck.ca.
Also, advise MSPCA. Do you know who has the city contract for Pierrefonds?
Contact Casca Cat Rescue and see if they can do anything to help. There are other rescue groups as well. A new one is called Bell Anima (though I do not know anything about them). Google rescue groups ask if they have an opening, I am sure they will help. Remember not to be disappointed if they cannot take..everywhere is FULL of unwanted cats.
Anyways - these are simple suggestions.
Also, you could build a winter shelter for this cat. Most important however is if you plan on keeping to ensure the cat is sterlized.
If the cat is hissing when picking up, it could simply be that she/he does not like being picked up period. Some cats are like that.
Good luck.

RuthSan
November 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

I was actually wanting to find it's owners and if not, adopt the cat myself. Get it inside a room and then inside a pet carrier to bring it to my vet for exam and vaccines/worms, etc. But I can't get it inside.

You are right it does come to me when I bring it food, but goes wild if I try to hold it.

Thanks again

BenMax
November 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

I was actually wanting to find it's owners and if not, adopt the cat myself. Get it inside a room and then inside a pet carrier to bring it to my vet for exam and vaccines/worms, etc. But I can't get it inside.

You are right it does come to me when I bring it food, but goes wild if I try to hold it.

Thanks again

Do not force the picking up. Cats in general are not too keen on it and just tolerate it. I have 2 out of 5 that I can pick up and not one was an outdoor cat.
Anyways - just for now post the cat on PetLuck.ca. It is a great way to try and locate owner. Also, the MSPCA has a lost and found section on line. You do not have to bring the cat in.
If you are planning on keeping, ensure to have FIV/FELV test done prior to intergrating with your cats.

Love4himies
November 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I will contact a person who has a LOT of experience in rescuing cats, her name is 14+kitties.

Hopefully she will come on tonight to help you.

RuthSan
November 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks so much for these suggestions

Love4himies
November 17th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Do not force the picking up. Cats in general are not too keen on it and just tolerate it. I have 2 out of 5 that I can pick up and not one was an outdoor cat.
Anyways - just for now post the cat on PetLuck.ca. It is a great way to try and locate owner. Also, the MSPCA has a lost and found section on line. You do not have to bring the cat in.
If you are planning on keeping, ensure to have FIV/FELV test done prior to intergrating with your cats.

I agree, forcing a pick up of a scared cat can get you injured.

14+kitties
November 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Thank you L4 for letting me know about this. :thumbs up

RuthSan - BenMax gave you some good advice on trying to find an owner for this cat. BM also gave good advice on building a shelter for the cat. Here's a great site for helping with that. http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_FERAL_CAT_WINTER_SHELTER

Now, as far as getting the cat indoors, do you have a spare room so you can do a proper introduction for the cats? If not then you may have to give up your idea of bringing her/him in. Also, if you are planning on declawing please leave the cat outdoors. It's kinder in the long run. An adult cat in particular does not do well being declawed.

Back to business - if you'd like to bring the cat indoors please proceed slowly. You could start by bringing a carrier outdoors with you when you go to feed the cat. Put the carrier down slowly and place the cat's food just inside the door to the carrier. Slowly, over the course of a few days, move the dish further to the back of the carrier. Once the cat is comfortable with going inside to eat close the door. You could also try a live trap if the carrier does not work for you. Some SPCAs rent them or lend them out to you for short term use. Make sure you are in a secure room before releasing the cat. You will not get a second chance.

Once you have the cat in the carrier bring him/her into the spare room which you have made ready for him/her. It is advisable to remove anything breakable or precious you do not want destroyed. I am going to give you a site to read. It is easier for me to do that than to go through step by step instructions. It is a very well written site by a woman who has walked the walk as far as introducing cats.
http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Good luck. Hope you get your cat.

RuthSan
November 17th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks 14+Kitties

Yes, I was planning on adopting her and integrating her into my own with my 2 females. Yes, my 2 females are declawed (front paws only). I regret doing that, but they were both kittens and they destroyed brand new expensive leather couches, sleeping bags, scratched my kitchen tables,etc... but I love my kitties to death. I did not realise at the time that declawing was cruel.

I even called the Pierrefonds Vet Hospital to find out how much it would cost to examine and treat this new cat. The reason why I bonded with this cat so much, is cause she let me carry her in my arms on a 15 minutes walk. I found her looking through garbage and crying and she let me pat her and let me carry her all the way home. But I didn't have a plan, and once inside my home the cat freaked out cause of my 2 females, and I panicked and let her out. Since then she comes everyday and eats the food I leave out for her. She comes to me for the food but won't come in my arms anymore.

I do have a spare room all ready for the cat.

I will try your suggestions with the pet carrier and the food. I realize she is scared. But this cat was certainly someones pet at some point, cause it will let you pat her. She doesn't seem like a feral cat at all. I call her a she, but I have no idea if it a he or a she.

I live in a small condo complexe. I leave her food in the parking lot in a corner where no cars park, where I can see her from my kitchen window.

In your experience, is it even possible to integrate such a cat with 2 indoor females who are declawed (front paws). I would hate to bring this cat in and one day come home to find one of my females injured by this cat.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions

I'm going to try out your suggestions and also try to get a photo of this cat.

RuthSan
November 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
This site is awesome : http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Thanks 14+Kitties

14+kitties
November 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks 14+Kitties
In your experience, is it even possible to integrate such a cat with 2 indoor females who are declawed (front paws). I would hate to bring this cat in and one day come home to find one of my females injured by this cat.

Seriously, I can't answer that question phrased the way you put it. I don't have declawed cats.
However, do I believe it is possible to integrate cats together? LOL Yep. I've done it time and time again. ;) Working on a new one as we speak.
If you are worried about your cats being injured by this one's claws you can, once the cat is home, keep the cat's claws trimmed back well. It can't do as much damage with short claws. If you are afraid to do it, as a lot of people are, vets offices are normally open to trimming claws. Teach the cat how to use a scratching post by moving the cat away from the furniture it is trying to use and in front of the scratching post. By consistently doing this cats learn what not to do.
Honestly, I would be more worried about the cat you want to bring in being injured by one of yours. Seeing as they don't have claws their only defense is teeth. Teeth and the saliva on them can do a lot more damage than can well trimmed claws.

RuthSan
November 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM
14+Kitties - Thanks for all your valuable advice. I sincerely appriciate it.

One last question. If I do get this cat into the pet carrier, should I get her to the vet first to rule out disease before I release it into it's new room?

sassylemon
November 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
If all else fails your declawed girls will give the new cat a good smack with the paw. My declawed girl does that, to my girls that are 2 years old.

14+kitties
November 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM
14+Kitties - Thanks for all your valuable advice. I sincerely appriciate it.

One last question. If I do get this cat into the pet carrier, should I get her to the vet first to rule out disease before I release it into it's new room?

That would be the ideal situation.

Dog Dancer
November 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
14+ is certainly the authority I would go to on cats, but with your kitties declawed, please don't forget that they can still do some serious damage to other animals in a fight by using their hind claws. Their first line of defence is the front claws and that's often enough, but they have seriously strong hind legs that will be used in a fight - along with their teeth. Bless you for caring about this kitty though. If all else fails I would agree that if you can at least get the cat spayed/neutered and provide shelter and food it will be 100% better off than it is now. Good luck.

lostcat
November 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Beautiful Adult Cat that resembles a Main Coon has been hanging around for the last few weeks.

Black/Brown stripes
All claws
Limps a bit on one paw
Very hungry and crying alot
No ID

I've been feeding it with dry food every day.

If this cat is yours please contact sathibov@yhaoo.com

Do you have the picture of the cat?

I lost an 11 year old black female with all her claws on Oct 28th. She's Main Coon crossed with domestic short-hair.

RuthSan
November 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hi LostCat:

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I forgot to login in. I haven't been able to get a picture of her, but I will try and find a similar photo on the web.

RuthSan
November 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Looks exactly like this one, but no white patches on the nose.

RuthSan
November 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I feel so sad for this cat. I can't get her to come near me anymore. I leave food out for her and she comes to eat when I'm gone back inside. However, people in my building are removing the container and putting it somewhere else. I guess they don't a cat coming near the porch entrance. I see her/him strolling around for food almost every morning. It looks at me and keeps going. Only coming to eat the food later or during the night. Saw her strolling around Wednesday morning during the snow storm. Nothing I can do, cause I can't catch her. :cry:

Love4himies
November 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I feel so sad for this cat. I can't get her to come near me anymore. I leave food out for her and she comes to eat when I'm gone back inside. However, people in my building are removing the container and putting it somewhere else. I guess they don't a cat coming near the porch entrance. I see her/him strolling around for food almost every morning. It looks at me and keeps going. Only coming to eat the food later or during the night. Saw her strolling around Wednesday morning during the snow storm. Nothing I can do, cause I can't catch her. :cry:

Can you get a live trap from a shelter or a vet's office??? That may be the only way to get her in. This poor kitty :(

RuthSan
November 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM
How big are those live traps?

Can this live trap be carried into my home? Surely, it would not fit into my car?

I'm reluctant to ask for help, cause I don't want her sitting in a shelter and being eutanized.

I called the vet office, they did not offer to help catch her. They already have plenty of strays to give away.